Muroc Models 1/72 F8U-1 Conversion

Hello folks, I'm back again with a not-really WIP that is in reality the completion of another shelf queen. This time it's Muroc Model's excellent 1/72 scale F8A (or F8U-1) conversion of the Academy F-8E Crusade kit. Normally, I would have just posted an RFI, but I ran across a couple of items that might be interesting to discuss. So, please forgive the digression from normal forum useage.

2v2JT3FSMxfzdhW.jpg

The Muroc Models kit consists of a nose replacement, new hump for the top of the wing, a vacuformed canopy, some very good decals (including new cockpit placard decals, unique to the F8A version), a correct early spoked front wheel, and a couple of other small pieces. A yes, and with very precise, detail instructions on ow to proceed. After the majority of the mods, it looks like this:

2v2JT3FVzxfzdhW.jpg

You have to also remove the ECM bump from the vertical stabilizer, and since this type has a different set-up for the speed brake, you are advised to NOT display it in the open position. TAKE THE ADVICE!

The early Crusaders were equipped with a drop-down rockets tray for 2.75" FFAR rockets (similar to the F-86D, etc.). This unit dropped down, and the speed brake was hinged on that -- a very weird set-up! Since the inside of the brake door area was different than on the later birds, and since the brake parts on the Academy kit were designed to be shown open and fit terribly when closed -- I just glued everything together and filled the bad spots and sanded it down. As a result, I forgot to add the Muroc-supplied  launch bridle....grrr!

Since the rocket tray was a terrible idea, they were disconnected and eliminated entirely on the later models. Go for it if you dare...

Also, keep in mind that the early Crusaders only had the single rail missile mount on the sides, and no under-wing stores.

Now, about the Academy kit, in addition to the bad "closed-fit" problems with the air brake, the Academy instructions call for you to add the landing gear actuating rods (parts C10 and C11)) during step 2. Don't do it! I did, and managed to break off and lose the parts on both side, and they are not easy to scratch-build items. Leave them off until you are ready to install the lower main gear door assembly, in step 8.

The next item of interest is the ejection seat. The early Crusaders used the Vought ejection seat, for which there are no aftermarket items in 1/72 scale. Trying to come up with reasonable facsimiles of early ejection seats is sort of a thing with me, so here's my take on one. After some on-line researching, I eventually made my way to the same treasure trove that we all end up using, when doing U.S. Navy aircraft -- the vaults of Mr Tommy Thomason, over at TailHook Topics. In this case, the link is here:                  F8A Tailhook Topiic

Since what I'm going to explain next is better done all in one place, rather than clicking back and forth, I shamelessly downloaded a drawing of the F8A cockpit from Tommy. (Sorry for taking the liberty Tommy, but since all your help on my P2V-3 Neptune build, I'm pretty sure that you're all about helping fellow modelers, so I'm happy to give you full credit for both your active and passive efforts on our behalf! (both here and on the Neptune).

2v2JT3FhoxfzdhW.jpg

Normally, I would just cut these items by hand from plastic card with a sharp razor knife, then sand to fit and then glue the parts together. This time, I wanted to try something different. Since my wife and daughter had just bought a new device for cutting out fabric, paper, etc shapes, I decided to try that. The device is called a Cricut. Their website is here:  CRICUT

Tommy's very useful drawing was used at this time, primarily for the outlines of the seat flat parts. I loaded the photo into Photoshop and eliminated all lines except for the seat outlines. This re-worked drawing was then up-loaded (by my daughter) onto software on the Cricut website, where it was scaled down to about 28% of the original. The Cricut, which uses a variety of blades and pens to cut or draw based on material being used was tried using the acetate settings. I used 10 thou card. The machine used Tommy's modified drawing, and cut these little parts out of the card sheet:

2v2JT3FC2xfzdhW.jpg

Some of the parts are shown on the left, while the card, on the right, still has some of the pieces in place. Since these parts were based on a jpeg drawing, when they were shrunk, the lines became a little unsteady. After assembling these seats (which turned out to be a little small), I converted the drawing to a vector graphics file, re-arranged for efficiency,and generated some "cleaner" parts, at 35% of the drawing; New drawing shown below:

2v2JT3FL3xfzdhW.jpg

Anyone who wishes, feel free to download and use this file for any reason whatsoever. You should convert it from the jpg to a vector file or bitmap, to keep re-scaling accurate.

2v2JT3FgvxfzdhW.jpg

Two seats are shown above, with one side attached to each seat back/bottom assembly, with liquid glue. After adding some small bit for the seat cushion, headrest,seat firing pulls, etc., we have this:

2v2JT3FFFxfzdhW.jpg

With some paint and seat belts, etc. it ends up like this:

2v2JT3FddxfzdhW.jpg2v2JT3FyyxfzdhW.jpg

These seats are not perfect, but to me at least, they look more appropriate than what is available elsewhere. I will certainly be exploring further use of the Cricut for modeling;  the armor guys with all the flat panels, should just eat this machine right up!

Anyway, rather than an RFI, I'll just post a few finished pics here:

2v2JT3F55xfzdhW.jpg

2v2JT3FrrxfzdhW.jpg

2v2JT3F88xfzdhW.jpg

2v2JT3FzFxfzdhW.jpg

2v2JT3dodxfzdhW.jpg

2v2JT3d35xfzdhW.jpg

There you have it. Not a perfect model, but a nice addition to the display case. I have Muroc's F8C model conversion also, that I will get around to one day. It is very similar to the A conversion, lacking only the overall markings for the aircraft, as some are available in the aftermarket, or can be converted.

Hope you have found this at least a little interesting. See you next time,

Ed

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

No idea how I missed this build. I am looking for how well Muroc resin meets Academy plastic then this thread just popped up. Finished model is very nice. The F-8 nose really looks the part and that marines scheme is awesome!