Enterprise and feminism?

I'm hoping there are some Star Trek fans out there that can help me with this. So I have an English professor who, in the midst of a lecture, made a statement that during the late 1960's and the sexual revolution that the reason for the design of the NSS Enterprise's saucer-like shape directly relates to femininity. Rather than a phallic shaped like craft depicting masculinity that the creators went with something more relevant to the times and wanted to relate to feminism.

Anybody know if there is truth in this? I couldn't find anything while looking it up.

That bit sounds a little unlikely to me. The outfits many of the female characters wore seems to portray them a 'sexy' rather than 'liberated'. (or is that just me? :blush:)

Having said that, there are some characters that do compete with the men on an equal footing, and are seen in empowering roles. I don't know how old you are, but the 60's and 70's were very, very different in the way that women were perceived, so in comparison to other TV & film roles, they were ahead of many other shows.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I'm hoping there are some Star Trek fans out there that can help me with this. So I have an English professor who, in the midst of a lecture, made a statement that during the late 1960's and the sexual revolution that the reason for the design of the NSS Enterprise's saucer-like shape directly relates to femininity. Rather than a phallic shaped like craft depicting masculinity that the creators went with something more relevant to the times and wanted to relate to feminism.

Anybody know if there is truth in this? I couldn't find anything while looking it up.

I don't believe so, at least not consciously. Memory Alpha has a pretty good article on the conceptualization and design of the original model of the Enterprise here. It seems it was a desire to break away from the unrealistic rocket ships of the Buck Rogers serials that influenced their design choices. Notably, one of the earliest designs for the Enterprise has a central rod tipped by a rather phallic-looking prow protruding from a series of rings, which should delight all budding Freudians.

latest?cb=20110916030229&path-prefix=en

• Like 3

Perhaps it's a theory backdated to the show rather than something the show set out to do. But if you consider the Enterprise in planform it does look a bit like the Venus symbol ♀ which represents femininity and feminism. Maybe that's what the Prof had in mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_symbols#Venus

• Like 4

So my wife suggested that I should ask the Gene Roddenberry people  on twitter as they apparently have an account. I don't "tweet" I guess they call it, anybody out there willing to take up the cause lol?

Edited by whiskey

1 minute ago, whiskey said:

So my wife suggested that I should ask the Gene Roddenberry people  on twitter as they apparently have an account. I don't "tweet" I guess they call it, anybody out there willing to take up the cause lol?

I work on Twitter, but this is not necessarily a course of action I'd recommend.

The countdown to someone saying something inflammatory is ticking, and I'm not at all comfortable with that.  I'm shutting it down, as it's doomed from the outset.

• Mike locked this topic