112 Squadron Desert Hawk

Hello again folks,

I'd like to share my newly finished Airfix P-40B in 112 Squadron markings.

The kit was absolutely great to build and is on par engineering wise with Tamiya et al. A very enjoyable project, and i will be sorely tempted to get another.

I didn't particularly want to do the kit finishing options of the Pearl Harbour or Flying Tigers markings so i rummaged around in my spare transfers box for the ones i eventually used. These are from an old Aeromaster set and depict the Tomahawk of Australian Ace Jack Bartle from Landing Ground 102 Egypt Oct 1941. This particular aircraft AN413 was personalised by Bartle with the name Nan below the cockpit. Unfortunately the set i have doesn't have the kangaroo he also added, and i'm not arty enough to go painting skippy on the nose!

The decals themselves were a bit thick, and i knew i had no hope of getting the sharkmouth to conform to the contours of the nose so i painted my own. The whole model is brush painted in acrylics.

I hope you like...

41972240904_d86cfb587f_z.jpgIMG_2768 

27821855877_234660b021_z.jpgIMG_2767 by [url

42641519302_bc402e68fa_z.jpgIMG_2766 

28817071078_317d62209a_z.jpgIMG_2765 

27821864737_270ecf6c38_z.jpgIMG_2763 

41790705435_02fd83bc63_z.jpgIMG_2762 

41809472144_d6793c5717_z.jpgIMG_2737 

42532306881_f0261c9990_z.jpgIMG_2739 

42480443202_af7a51053d_z.jpgIMG_2746 

41809504034_e593153848_z.jpgIMG_2747 

41809500284_768b4d02e0_z.jpgIMG_2748 

Well thats plenty to be getting on with. Thanks for looking.

Cheers Greg  

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Looks great Greg. Any kit that represents an Aussie jockey gets my vote and this Tomahawk is so good I'll give you two thumbs up! 

The weathering looks tastefully nice and I reckon with shark mouth hand-painting skills like that, you would have easily handled the missing roo. 

I'm only hearing great things about this kit, so might invest a few dollars and get one myself. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks great Greg. Any kit that represents an Aussie jockey gets my vote and this Tomahawk is so good I'll give you two thumbs up! 

The weathering looks tastefully nice and I reckon with shark mouth hand-painting skills like that, you would have easily handled the missing roo. 

I'm only hearing great things about this kit, so might invest a few dollars and get one myself. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,

I highly recommend the kit. It goes together beautifully.

Weathering was kept light with Humbrol power. I was going for a dry dusty look. 

Jack Bartle bagged 6 in the desert war but none claimed from this bird. AN413 was damaged beyond repair after combating :( 109's later the same year.

All the best Greg 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice desert `hawk there Greg, great job on the teeth too

48 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Oh yes. Lovely build love the hand painted sharks mouth, I bow to your patience sir 👍

17 minutes ago, chris148 said:

Great build,nice shark mouth looks a lot better than a decal.

Thanks Guys,

Glad you like it. Painting the teeth on was time consuming but worked out well. 

Cheers Greg😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excelkent 112 Sq. Tomahawk :yikes: Really like your Sharkmouth.

Thanks 😊

Very kind of you to say so.

Cheers Greg

Wow! That's a superb looking Tomahawk Greg. Fantastic brush painting :thumbsup:. And fantastic work on the sharks-mouth too - awesome modelling skills and patience.. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix  

• Thanks 1

Lovely looking P-40, great work on the gnashers. :goodjob:

I’ve got one in the stash, good to know it’s up to Airfix’s current standards. The plan is to do it in a Soviet scheme. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

A great looking model in itself but the added hand painted shark mouth makes it even more impressive. Excellent work, the extra time you spent on that mouth was worth every second.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wow! if only I had the skill to paint a shark mouth. 👏

Cheers Vinnie,

That's my first go at it, and was unsure if it would work or not. Took a bit of time to do but was worth it. I guess what I am trying to say you never know until you give it a go.

All the best Greg😉

17 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! That's a superb looking Tomahawk Greg. Fantastic brush painting :thumbsup:. And fantastic work on the sharks-mouth too - awesome modelling skills and patience.. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix  

Many thanks for the kind comments Stix, always appreciated. 

Glad you like it.

Cheers Greg 😎

14 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely looking P-40, great work on the gnashers. :goodjob:

I’ve got one in the stash, good to know it’s up to Airfix’s current standards. The plan is to do it in a Soviet scheme. 

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I did a Russian one in 1/72 a while back with winter while wash. Nice option to do with a Tomahawk.

Cheers Greg

14 hours ago, invidia said:

nice looking p40

Thank you 😀

12 hours ago, KelT said:

A great looking model in itself but the added hand painted shark mouth makes it even more impressive. Excellent work, the extra time you spent on that mouth was worth every second.

Thank you. Nice of you to say so.

All the best Greg 😉

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's superb Greg,it is a cracking kit just picked up the latest boxing for a mere 12 quid,doing a similar scheme for the MTO GB.

Thanks Steve,

It certainly is an excellent kit, everyone should build one 😊

Time for me to get the Stirling started now.

Cheers Greg 

17 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Very nice build. Hope I can get round to doing a P-40 in desert camo although I might be tempted to go overboard with the sand weathering.

Thank you 😊

I kept my weathering light. Less is more mostly. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1