Hi folks,

I finished my first squad of Necrons and found enough light this afternoon to get them photographed properly:

41784215305_0f4030117a_b.jpg

These are Immortals, heavy infantry from an ancient race of Angry Dead Robots from the Warhammer universe. They're painted with Alclad for the metallic, and Citadel for most other things. I also experimented with Schminke acrylic ink for the edges, which is a bit smoother than the Citadel white.

41965865884_5a89f9369c_b.jpg

42635283442_b097980f63_b.jpg

The bases have chopped up Games Workshop sprues (which are trapezoidal) tessellated to look a bit like a cut-price Giant's Causeway. The backstory for the 40K universe currently has the Necrons fighting the Adeptus Mechanicus for possession of blackstone (magic anti-chaos rocks) and I wanted the bases to reflect that a little. I'm still wondering if they need plants as well.

27815228747_d3003e0db1_b.jpg

They're a bit rough in places as you can see from the rear view, but I reckon they're not bad for the time invested (roughly a week of evenings plus change).

41784228145_52ef5be815_b.jpg

I'm currently working on some wraiths, which are like Angry Space Prawn Snakes. I'm going to use the same scheme but a bit more detailed.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12

Thanks for the kind comments all!

13 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Those new GW boxsets are looking very tempting!...

Which one(s)? There's a new Age of Sigmar box coming with some awesome ghosts, plus some 40K stuff with Knights (giant robots) that looks good. I'm way behind on my painting.

Will

8 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Which one(s)?

All of them! Well… the 40K ones anyway. I’ve dug out some of my old Marines and already topped them off with a ‘Know No Fear’ box set, not bad sculpts for plastic figures.

Start of a downward spiral methinks, and you're really not helping showing your wonderful paintjobs.:lol:

The Knights look fantastic, but I’m still finding it hard to justify GW pricing. I’m no skin-flint, but nearly £3 for a standard Marine? £100 for a Knight? I’ll probably end up forking out, but I do wonder how the kids manage to play these days. The Renegade boxed game has them at £60 each or so, and is in my wish-list, along with the Calth Heresy box set. I understand you lot in NZ and Oz pay even more for your GW chess pieces!  

Mart

• Like 1

Yeah I don't understand how it works for kids aside from the start sets. As an adult it still feels more or less like value for money because it takes me an age to paint anything so the price per hobby hour is OK.

At least that's what I tell myself...

W

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fair comment, I think it helps to have something there other than black, and I wanted to hint that the sphere is a coupling. But it is a bit thin to read as a light.

Will