Any point in buying 0,2 airbrush?

TapChan

Hello

I am curious if there's any point in buying 0,2mm nozzle size airbrush while posessing 0,3mm? I currently have Procon Boy WA (PS-264) 0,3, it's very nice but my experience mostly comes from 0,3mm pIwata used on 1:25 scale cardboard models and 1:35 tanks with no fine-detailed camo. Now, as I am entering 1/48 modern jets I don't know if there will be a role my 0,3 could not fulfill and therefore i'm going to need something finer. I am asking because I am going to make some shopping in China and I could get some for decent price which may not happen soon. I'm considering Tamiya HGIII SuperFine or Procon Boy FWA (PS-267).

Plus I think having second good airbrush is an advantage - you can quickly switch between colors without having to clean between switching on single painting session. If there is an advantage in having 0,2 then I shall go for it, if no then I can choose something in 0,3mm size, easier to clean and harder to clog down I guess.

0.2mm nozzle sets are very usable, I'd looks at the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline solo for a 0.2mm nozzle brush.  Reasonably prices, spares are cheap, easy to clean  & it has a preset handle included.

0.2mm nozzle is the standard one on H&S brushes, paint range 1mm up to about 13mm width.  price is about £100

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/harder--steenbeckbr--evolution-silverline-solo-airbrush--02mm-nozzle-set-and-2ml-paint-cup-3707-p.asp

Paul

But why assuming that you mask everything anyway?

I use a 0.4 mm Colani for 99% of the paint jobs. I got a 0.2 evolution but I hardly ever use it. I am really interested in what I am doing wrong. :) Do you work w/o masking?

Michael

Edited by Duckwizard

Advantages and disadvantages. The smaller nozzle allows for better control, minimizing flooding risks, allowing for a more...."focused" pattern. With enough practice you could freehand camo I guess (I only tried it once so not enough experience here). Disadvantage? It clogs up fast if the paint isn't thinned just right. Also clogs like a bugger with metallic paints that have larger flakes. I'm using a chinese BD-180 and an H&S Ultra, both 0.2mm nozzles. Works great for most scenarios. I switch to the 0.4mm or 0.5mm nozzles when I do large areas.

• Like 1

A word of caution on the H&S: it seems to cause a lot of paint if you are using acrylics. Personally, I wasn't able to make my H&S Evolution with 0.2 mm nozzle work at all with acrylics but it sprays beautifully with other paints (MR Paint, AK Xtreme metal).

I think the key is a paint volume control / needle travel adjustment knob on the handle. With this, I can spray anything from freehand camouflage to large areas by just using the 0.2 mm nozzle. It might take a bit longer than with a larger nozzle but then again how large can you go to speed things up sensibly?

I continue using my BD-130 for acrylics until I figure out a solution with the H&S for that type of paint and while I was a huge supporter of cheap airbrushes before, I have to give credit to high(er) end brushes for their quality where it's due.

Getting back to your question: If you are happy with your 0.3 mm nozzle why bother. But if you feel your setup is not up to pair with what you are up to, go for a higher end brush. Just keep in mind what was stated above about acrylics.

I have an H&S Ultra with .2 and .4 nozzles.  I used the 0.2 to start with and it was fine with Tamiya, Xtracrylix and some Vallejo.  Then I swapped out to the 0.4 with no discernible difference in the paint finish, though I found the airbrush less finicky about cleaning.  On the other hand that may just be me getting more accomplished at running straight thinners* through after each colour, so I only have to strip and clean fully every now and again.  I would say the H&S is a lot simpler to pull apart than the cheapy Chinese one that came free with the compressor.

To be honest I'm still on a steep learning curve of airbrushing after 18 months or so!  Painting thin lines is my next challenge, finding the right combo of thinning, nozzle and air pressure takes a while...so now I'm fairly comfortable with the 0.4 I am going to switch back to the 0.2 on the next model and see if I can see a difference now.

Cheers

Will

*Car windscreen screenwash!

I use 'em all the time, and whenever I use a .35 or .3 they feel like water cannons by comparison! :frantic:

I use the Gunze PS-270 Procon Boy Platinum 0.2, or some such name.  Just search for the product number ifd in doubt, as the Gunze names are excessively long, and sound more like Gundams than airbrushes.  They're functionally (and some say microscopically) identical to Iwata, and have a rather lower price.  Mine's now my favourite airbrush, knocking my Infinities into 2nd place :shrug: Speak to Martin @ air-craft.net - @Jetblast here :)

Well, I think I gotta buy one 0,2 piece. Either it will be PS-267 or HG III Super Fine. One of chinese shops has 20% discount which makes these airbrushes just €85 (~£76) shipping incl.

Actually I have 0,2 airbrush, but that's cheap piwata. I always thought it's 0,3 set mounted in it but I checked it and it turned out that 0,3 set (nozzle/needle) is still in the box. Weirdest thing is that it cannot even reach as fine line as 0,3 Procon Boy does. Actually out of all 0,2 features it has only clogging work "properly" :D On the other hand I have also second cheap (supposedly) 0,3 piwata and compared to these two it sprays like 0,5.

When I got the H&S Ultra I did a side by side comparison with the cheapo BD-180 (Iwata design copy). The cheap stuff is not even in the same league despite the fact they both had 0.2 nozzle/needle in them and using the same paint.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, TapChan said:

I am curious if there's any point in buying 0,2mm nozzle size airbrush

Yes, and It's a very small point. 

I'll get my coat...

29 minutes ago, Paul Budzik said:

If you're using acrylic paints ... I think you'll find it challenging ...

Maybe initially until you get used to it?  I've got 3 x 0.2 brushes on my hooks at the moment - two Infinities and one Gunze PS-270, and of all of them I love the Gunze brush the most these days. :shrug: The Infinities are starting to show their age around the edges, but they're still going strong :)

Well you could do lines like this;

sotar%20lines.jpg

or if its points you really need, here are some on a 1/72 Tamiya 109e paint mule

mottletest.jpg

BTW the this is badger Sotar 20/20 with 0.2 fine needle and Mr Paint acrylic/cellulose thinner paint

• Like 2