Bae Nimrod MR.2P towed radar decoy - where ????

Jakub Cikhart

Hi gents, according to this link Flightglobal Nimrods MR.2P in Gulf war 1991 had installed Towed Radar Decoy. I know that the modern type is pod mounted (looks like BOZ pod), but in Nimrod they say it was internally mounted.

My question is WHERE it was mounted and was it visible from exterior ? I guess maybe in the MAD tail stinger ? Also heard that it was installed in the top tail "dome".

Any ideas ?

Thanks and happy modelling !

• 7 months later...

Probably a bit late with this. As I recall the TRD (turd) was fitted in a modified ESM fairing (canoe) on top of the fin. I never saw one fitted or deployed but did do a composite repair to a removed one which had a section of the rear end cut down vertically for the TRD to be deployed similar to a refuelling drogue type affair. 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:23 PM, Rickoshea52 said:

I never saw one fitted or deployed but did do a composite repair to a removed one .........

By any chance did the removed fairing have a dayglo '+' on the nose?

Saw a couple of Nimrods with this marking but no idea what it might have been for.

1 hour ago, Des said:

By any chance did the removed fairing have a dayglo '+' on the nose?

Saw a couple of Nimrods with this marking but no idea what it might have been for.

I can’t remember on the TRD canoes but they were prone to erosion (many were holed) so could have been blown off in flight. No idea what they’re were for either.