Bearcat 1/72: Options?

Bedders

Sword makes a very nice Bearcat kit that can be built as an F8F-1 or F8F-2. It's a pretty nice kit, and IIRC, comes with a resin insert for the very cluttered wheel bays and center section of the Bearcat. Not sure if it is still available, though. The old Monogram kit, which actually has some features of both the dash 1 and dash 2, can be made into an F8F-2, with the fin/rudder and  lower cowling vents/outlets being the major changes needed, IIRC. You would have to make up for  the non-existant cockpit details as well as box in and detail the wheel bays and center section. I think the windscreen on the dash 2 is different from the dash 1 as well, but maybe @Tailspin Turtle can be more forthcoming with confirmation or corrections,  if he sees this. Frog also did a Bearcat, but it is long, long OOP and I never saw one, so have no idea how good it was. I did an early F8F-1 from the Monogram kit years ago, and while the cockpit was pretty easy to do, the scratchbuilding and correction of the wheel bays, landing gear struts, and wheels was no fun! I also think there were a couple of aftermarket resin wheel bay sets for the Bearcat, with maybe HiTech being one of them and maybe Cobra (now Lone Star Models) being the other? Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The old Monogram kit, which actually has some features of both the dash 1 and dash 2, can be made into an F8F-2, with the fin/rudder and  lower cowling vents/outlets being the major changes needed, IIRC

Here is the Revell release of the Monogram kit, built OOB.

Revell_F8_F_Bearcat.jpg

I'd avoided chipping in, cos there are differences in tail height and weaponry, and I can't remember the details.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 3

I've built a Bearcat recently. I bought the Art Models kit, but gave up on that as I got fed up with trying to get the included resin to fit. So I went back to my trusty Monogram kit (which I still like as a kit) and added the Cobra Company resin update set which I got from Lone Star Models. Not expensive, even ordering from the US, and really kicks that Monogram kit up a dozen notches. I've got a Bearcat I'm very happy with now.

Steve

• Like 4

Thanks for the link. So does the Monogram kit have the -1 or -2 vertical fin?

Edit: Sorry! Should have read the article a little closer! Seems I should have extended the tailfin a little as I wanted a -2. Bit late now, but it looks ok.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

TT,

Wish I had this reference material when I did mine years ago- will definitely be able to get it right next time! Thanks for the posts.

Mike

Avoid the Art-Model kit like the plague! I really struggled with this kit, and I'm sure it wasn't user error: I'm confident enough in my abilities to conclude that it is just a bad kit.

I'd go for the little Monogram/Revell F8F-1 kit every time. Clever engineering makes for good fit, the discretely raised panel lines look a lot better than many modern trenches, and in recent re-issues you'll get some excellent decals. All you really need is the Airwaves etch and some effort to bodge-up the wheel wells. It's not perfect, but it is genuinely one of my favourite kits.

• Like 2

There was a crazy all-resin and PE 1:72 Bearcat with a lot of detail, especially in the cockpit, engine bay and wheel wells. Was it Attack Squadron who made it? I saw one in a box once at a show, and was quite amazed at all the parts. I didn't have enough cash to buy it though!   :)

Ah, here it is:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/attacksquadron7201872lp_1.htm

I have the Sword kit, and it has two separate fuselage sets, one for the -1 and one for the -2. Test fitting looks pretty good, as does the resin engine. I'll build it one of these days.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

There was a crazy all-resin and PE 1:72 Bearcat with a lot of detail, especially in the cockpit, engine bay and wheel wells. Was it Attack Squadron who made it? I saw one in a box once at a show, and was quite amazed at all the parts. I didn't have enough cash to buy it though!   :)

Ah, here it is:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/attacksquadron7201872lp_1.htm

Cheers,

Bill

I instantly regretted not buying one of those when they came out- and then sold out- and then promptly abandoned making resin kits altogether! I wonder whether the moulds got sold on? Anyone know?

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2018 at 13:59, Killingholme said:

I instantly regretted not buying one of those when they came out- and then sold out- and then promptly abandoned making resin kits altogether! I wonder whether the moulds got sold on? Anyone know?

I believe that Brengun bought the Attack Squadron tools and production rights.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2018 at 7:10 PM, Killingholme said:

Avoid the Art-Model kit like the plague! I really struggled with this kit, and I'm sure it wasn't user error: I'm confident enough in my abilities to conclude that it is just a bad kit.

That will make two of us then. I couldn't get anything to fit! I did rob the kit of it's tailwheel though, as the Monogram kit's tailwheel looks too large, so the Art Model did end up having some use,

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fightersweep said:

That will make two of us then. I couldn't get anything to fit! I did rob the kit of it's tailwheel though, as the Monogram kit's tailwheel looks too large, so the Art Model did end up having some use,

Steve

Hoo boy! Pretty pricey tailwheel, mate! (I've done far worse to get one part- I admit it...it's a disease, I tell ya!)

Mike

12 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Steve

Such a waste.😒 I managed to salvage the cockpit part too. (although it didn't end up in a Bearcat- it went in a Valom XF-8B-1...)