Airfix Beaufighter (RockBeau) S.E.A.C 1945

I really enjoyed this kit. It went together very well with just enough putty work and damage repair to sticky out bits to keep it interesting.
Finished with Hataka acrylics. This is also my first RFI using an airbrush, so constructive comments will be welcome. Thanks for looking.

27801947797_fc90e20d25_c.jpg

27801954407_17a1fb7e26_c.jpg

28797441908_7e6fbe13b9_c.jpg

42621253902_49bc59b32b_c.jpg

41952296754_b42db7cfa2_c.jpg

41952350724_3b698f6568_c.jpg

• Like 42

6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

lovely work with the airbrush, how did you find the hakata paints to spray?

To be honest, while I was practising with the airbrush I tried Revell Aqua, Hataka, Humbrol, Tamiya and Mr Hobby. I didn't really find a great deal of difference between them apart from the amount of thinning required. The plus point with Hataka is that they have colours for my area of interest which is WW2. Revell paints are the most economic as they need so much thinning but they don't have the colour range.

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Looks great. What did you use for the exhaust collector rings?

I really wasn't sure about whether they should be brass colour or steel. After a bit of reading, rightly or wrongly I settled on steel. I mixed some Revell Aqua metallic steel with a little black which gave me a finish that I was happy with.

That is a great job and you should be very pleased with your first airbrush efforts - I know I would be, and it is such a nice scheme. 

One teensy teensy point would be to check the presence of the wee bulges on the upper wings between the fuselage and nacelles - I believe these were only installed on Beaus after about RD500 - yours is a mid 300 serial so probably did not have them. But. . . I do stand to be corrected.

Fine replica anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a great job and you should be very pleased with your first airbrush efforts - I know I would be, and it is such a nice scheme. 

One teensy teensy point would be to check the presence of the wee bulges on the upper wings between the fuselage and nacelles - I believe these were only installed on Beaus after about RD500 - yours is a mid 300 serial so probably did not have them. But. . . I do stand to be corrected.

Fine replica anyway.

I think you may be correct. I'd not thought about it, but looking back at Beau images they don't appear on most examples. Do you know what they are for, btw?

4 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

A neat build, looks like the Hataka paint worked quite well.

Yes, I was happy with the finish. Hand brush painting with Hataka tended to be a bit hit and miss and results varied with the colour. For instance, RLM02 seemed so watery it took many careful coats to achieve an acceptable finish.  RLM65 however, brush painted beautifully. With a little thinning experimenting, airbrushing with all the colours settled down to a nice finish. They do have a satin effect which I quite like but I wanted the Beau matt. Even with a diluted matt varnish, there is still a sheen there. Not sure about how it looks. What do you think?

On 6/10/2018 at 7:06 PM, Vinnie said:

Even with a diluted matt varnish, there is still a sheen there. Not sure about how it looks. What do you think?

I think it looks alright. It has been said nothing is really truly matt and it's only the weathering that gives it that effect. Even came across a US Army tanker who said all of the tanks he's seen have a slight satin sheen and yes he is an armour modeller. For factory fresh the satin sheen will do.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, Vinnie said:

I think you may be correct. I'd not thought about it, but looking back at Beau images they don't appear on most examples. Do you know what they are for, btw?

I am not completely sure but believe they covered some pressure devise or oil pump associated with later versions. As I mentioned , they only appeared late in the series , from about RD500-ish, and are  feature on all TT versions ( the Airwaves conversion contains white metal ones to add to the wings).  There was a discussion about them when the kit was first released and I think that some instructions sheets note that you need to shave them off but I have not looked at mine to check. Easier to get off than to add I believe.

• Thanks 1