How make a scratch submarine with balsa

nikos

My friends I want to give you a way to make a scratch submarine with balsa

First we choose the plan. I use the blueprints plans and I prefer there are three views of sub

f.e

fgs-type-u214-submarine-4.png

Then I analyzed how make it. I seperate to the main submarine corp and the turret.

I save the plan as foto and go to

open with painture

I zoom the foto in dimensions I want. ( Because I use leaves of balsa 1000mmX100mmX10mm the dimensions must be less from the Balsa)

To make a sub 70 cm we want 8-9 pieces of balsa

I fix them with cyanoacrylic glue and not with wood(water)glues because the woodglue will warp the balsa. Be carefull because the cyanoacrylic glue when comes in contact with balsa makes temperature and gas. You must me very  hurry to fix the pieces  I have a piece of balsa 1mX 80mm (if I use 8 pieces)X 100mm. That for the main corp.

I calculate the turret and make the same with smallest pieces of balsa.

Then I take a piece of paper and design the plan (all the lines) of corp from the zoomed foto. The same for turret,

Cut the paper plan of sub and design it on balsa

Then design the plan from upper side of sub (deck) Cut the paper Do the same design on balsa piece upper side. Be careful  the lines to be on correct position in 3 dimensions

320390-28844-88.jpg

345007-28844-61.jpg

We leave always a small piece of balsa and cut the balsa to the small around black lines.If do nt do that the sub with the sand paper work will have smallest dimensions . 357854-28844-88.jpg 

then with a sand paper on sand paper driver begin to scratch the balsa until lines363518-28844-89.jpg

We must have in our mind the geometry , symmetry and stereometry.

The same do for the turret

Be careful The external lines of plan are the real dimensions on 2 dimensions. The 3d dimensions give us the interior lines.

In that level we use and the front and back plan to see the angles and curves.

In that level the balsa "speak " to us. We see the scheme to construct and always must make small steps because the wrong difficult repairing.

When we make the corp .......

363519-28844-61.jpg

we paint with wood varnish , dry well and with a sand paper smooth it. That for three time. The  sand paper must be light

Then paint with acrylic varnish

314615-28844-42.jpg

( I have nt foto of type 214 with acrylic varnish)

We paint the acrylic colur 2 hands or more376424-28844-83.jpg

We fix the turret on corp. (the turret paint with the same way) For antenas etc I use plastic sprue, tooth peaks, and wires. For propeller make it from a piece of metal in scalepropellor.jpg

For other accesories of sub I use interior pieces of mobile. You will discover a modelling microcosmos in an old mobile. (Barrels for machine guns are good and the lighters gas tubes)

I am happy to answer your questions

Edited by nikos
  • Like 4

• nikos changed the title to How make a scratch submarine with balsa

Nikos,

That was a good explanation of how to create a machine using 3-views and balsa.  I've done aircraft the same way.  To get a smoother finish on balsa I use sanding sealer (sold for flying model aircraft) - it is dope with talc powder in it, I believe you can add talc to acrylic varnish for a less smelly process.  The talc fills the grain on balsa.

There is a website of people doing models like this "the old fashioned way" at Solid Model Memories and their gallery.  I am a bit of a lapsed member at the moment.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks for youe advice Will I did nt try to use that technique but  I 'l try it in future. I 'll see the website

• Like 1