Out of the Box Models 1/72 Boeing 737-100 (Crowdfunding)

John Thompson

9 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

HLJ had it for $400. Still horrible.

That's the 1/144 scale kit. $1300+ is for the 1/72 kit, according to the owner it is way too expensive to retail so you have to directly order from him.

Edited by md11

5 hours ago, md11 said:

That's the 1/144 scale kit. $1300+ is for the 1/72 kit, according to the owner it is way too expensive to retail so you have to directly order from him.

Wow!,,

We should be able to print it all on our own printer, so we will be making some concessions, such as breaking the fuselage in half in order to fit, but it will result in the lowest possible price for retail version of the kit. Everyone who crowdfunds the kit will still get it for their original $30, but I think this learning experience will probably mean slightly more expensive large aircraft kits in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Here is the first draft based on some low res drawings. I am looking for some better ones before moving forward. Just wanted to show some progress. 42721011885_fca40e4467_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Has anyone heard any more about this project?

No mention of it on their website and no updates since July last year , no pressure intended just wondering how it has gone since the first draft shown above or if the project just did not work out.

Edited by Des

2 hours ago, Des said:

Has anyone heard any more about this project?

No mention of it on their website and no updates since July last year , no pressure intended just wondering how it has gone since the first draft shown above or if the project just did not work out.

Same story with the Yak-9T project, I'm afraid. I contacted OOB Models 2 or 3 times in the interim, but it was always "My programmer went mad and ran away screaming" or "The well went dry" or "The mule died". Lots of good intentions, but there's a road somewhere paved with those...

John

3 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Same story with the Yak-9T project, I'm afraid. I contacted OOB Models 2 or 3 times in the interim, but it was always "My programmer went mad and ran away screaming" or "The well went dry" or "The mule died". Lots of good intentions, but there's a road somewhere paved with those...

John

No money taken or harm done, no angst required.

Tommo.

• Like 1

Last I heard (on another forum) was that they had issues with the CAD software they were using (not compatible with 3D printing process) on the Yak and had to start again from scratch. There is only one person working on the Yak so things have slowed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

No money taken or harm done, no angst required.

Tommo.

Ah, but money was taken, Tommo me lad. That said, you seem to have read in "angst" where none was intended.

John

8 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

What they show above is Catia v5. 3D models created with it can be used for 3D printing. 

This was posted on another forum back on March 11

Being somewhat persistent, I have been in touch with Dan from OOBM and here's an edited version of his latest statement.........

Out of the Box is essentially a one-man operation, and this is a side project. I employ a number of freelance engineers to execute the projects, and I manage them all in my free time, but this is not my full-time job.  I just don't have the time to update every channel for every project. I want everything we release to be of the highest quality possible, and that takes time. The Yak-9T had to be completely redone because it was not created properly for 3D printing. My chief engineer has been working nonstop to get it printable and the CAD work is almost done. We will get this done and released as soon as we can.  

That's a true statement. You have to follow certain rules to be able to print your CAD Modell. The software will help you, but that's dependent on the software / version (and other stuff...). 

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know, that the refunds are issued, and this project, like Out of the Box, is officially dead. I am really sorry that we couldn't make it work, there were just a lot more variables than i foresaw going into this.  I was really looking forward to the 737 project especially, and am quite upset that we weren't able to finish it.

• Like 1

Dan,

Got my refund.  I'd rather be getting your kit.  But, I understand the problems you've run into that make that impossible.  Thanks for being so quick to wrap up these loose ends.

Best of luck to you!

Madoc