Out of the Box Models 1/72 Boeing 737-100 (Crowdfunding)

John Thompson

Out of the Box Models are proposing another crowdfunded project; this time it's a Boeing 737-100, possibly with multiple markings options:

https://outoftheboxmodels.com/collections/crowdfunding-projects/products/crowdfunding-1-72-737-100

Again, this would be a 3-D-printed kit, not a traditional injection-molded one.

John

55 minutes ago, Andre B said:

How hard would it be to make a 707 out of that one?

/André

Very hard,  the cockpit area and fuselage tube (which is too short for a 707) is about the only common part. Why not just get the recently reissued Heller kit?

58 minutes ago, Andre B said:

How hard would it be to make a 707 out of that one? 

Not impossible (in the same way you could make an F-4 frrom a Sopwith Camel kit if you have enough putty, plastic sheet and skill) but why bother when Heller have an adequate 707?

Snap, Ray😊

Sorry, wasn't precise enough. What I ment was how hard would i be for the producer to make an 707 later on.

I knew about the Heller 707...

Cheers / André

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

Sorry, wasn't precise enough. What I ment was how hard would i be for the producer to make an 707 later on.

I knew about the Heller 707...

Cheers / André

We can do it. I want to make more 1/72 scale airliners anyway...We'll get to them eventually, as long as people either pay to commission them, or nominate them for crowdfunding. Which 707 did you want? 707-100, 707-200, 707-320, 707-320B, 707-320C, 707-420?

• Like 2

How exactly will the production kits be made?  There's basically no information on the website that I can see, and the materials cost alone would be far more than $30 in MJM or SLA resin.

1 hour ago, ICMF said:

How exactly will the production kits be made?  There's basically no information on the website that I can see, and the materials cost alone would be far more than $30 in MJM or SLA resin.

Yes, thats true, and the final kit will cost more the $30.  For all of the crowdfunding projects we do, you're paying strictly for the development, the model is a thank you gift from us for helping us develop the kit, we eat the cost of the model and shipping. I am going to start a development thread soon for the Yak-9T, so you can also see how we design out kits. I want this process to be as transparent and mystery free as possible.  I also updated the product listing.

If we can print the fuselage and wings with Material Jetting we will, otherwise we'll use the a really big, high resolution FDM printer that we are going to be using for our 1/350 scale ship hulls. I'm going to add some screenshots to the website for that too, we're pretty close to test printing our 1/350 Scale NS Savannah. 

Edited by orionfield
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, orionfield said:

We can do it. I want to make more 1/72 scale airliners anyway...We'll get to them eventually, as long as people either pay to commission them, or nominate them for crowdfunding. Which 707 did you want? 707-100, 707-200, 707-320, 707-320B, 707-320C, 707-420?

I can't answer for every builder but I would go for an BOAC or Lufthansa 707. I do not knew for the earlier variants but what I remember they where 707-436 and 707-430 (?).

Cheers / André

Ps.

N/S Savannah in 1/350 sounds interesting!

18 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I can't answer for every builder but I would go for an BOAC or Lufthansa 707. I do not knew for the earlier variants but what I remember they where 707-436 and 707-430 (?).

Cheers / André

Ps.

I think thats doable. I'll start doing research and put it in the queue for Crowdfunds.

59 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Cheers / André

Ps.

Why a whole kit when you can start with the Heller kit and just update the engines the RR Conways? So just get a set of engines printed?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Why a whole kit when you can start with the Heller kit and just update the engines the RR Conways? So just get a set of engines printed?

Well...

Why buy and build an Airfix F-4 Phantom when you can buy an Hasegava or Fujimi Phantom?

Are you not interested in new kits and new knewing how to make them? Or are you on the paylist from Heller?

Only paying $30 for the sponsoring and getting a full kit in return is a more than generous offer. Thank you for that!

Me too, I would be interested in finding out more about your development and production process if you'd care to share that kind of information.

Thank you!

Cristian

Edited by armored76
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, armored76 said:

Only paying $30 for the sponsoring and getting a full kit in return is a more then generous offer. Thank you for that!

Me too, I would be interested in finding out more about your development and production process if you'd care to share that kind of information.

Thank you!

Cristian

I will be starting a thread for the Yak-9 As soon as figure out the best place to post it.

1 hour ago, ICMF said:

How much will the kit sell for once it's released?

No idea. It depends on the print cost of the parts, which we wont know until we start test printing later in the process.

For anyone interested I am working on decals for this (assuming it won't come with any?), will be able to properly size and print after I get the kit as this has just been guesstimated.

https://ibb.co/kSkypo

Oldmodels Decals in NZ already does a set too, OMD0100 Ansett NZ B737-100-200 1/72 -

http://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/B737-A320-BAe146.html

Edited by DDGboy
Hotlink
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Andre B said:

Well...

Why buy and build an Airfix F-4 Phantom when you can buy an Hasegava or Fujimi Phantom?

Are you not interested in new kits and new knewing how to make them? Or are you on the paylist from Heller?

Not at all, I am all for new kits.

I just think there will be a very limited market for a whole Conway powered 707 kit and it would be more practical to just produce the engines. I have seen many 1/144 Minicraft Conway powered 400 kits sitting on local model shop shelves for years due to the limited schemes you can put on them. Most builders are after the Pratt and Whitney powered 707 as a lot more airlines operated them. It would be a shame to reinvent the wheel for a whole 707 kit when there is a very good one already around and all it needs is a different set of engines, an economy of effort where you can spend more time on other subjects where an easy conversion is not available.

Good on Dan for this enterprise of supplying these different versions of models that are not readily available. In the end, it is all about the demand for these non-mainstream versions of existing kits and those that are not currently available. I hope the 707-400 sells well (as well as the 737-100 of this thread).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Most builders are after the Pratt and Whitney powered 707 as a lot more airlines operated them. It would be a shame to reinvent the wheel for a whole 707 kit when there is a very good one already around and all it needs is a different set of engines

You are exactly correct Ray - I would like to see the effort go into something that isn't just a me-too. It's hard to believe a 3D printed 707 could sell for anything like the cost of the Heller kit, whereas a set of engines would be much less. This is where Dan needs quality input, not the meanderings of someone with no idea of the market.

I am a bit worried that OOB Models might spread itself too thinly on dozens of projects that won't sell. @orionfield

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DDGboy said:

For anyone interested I am working on decals for this (assuming it won't come with any?), will be able to properly size and print after I get the kit as this has just been guesstimated.

https://ibb.co/g3uqud

Oldmodels Decals in NZ already does a set too, OMD0100 Ansett NZ B737-100-200 1/72 -

http://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/B737-A320-BAe146.html

Lets talk privately about this, I was going to design some decals too, but maybe we can work something out to put yours in the kit.

19 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Not at all, I am all for new kits.

I just think there will be a very limited market for a whole Conway powered 707 kit and it would be more practical to just produce the engines. I have seen many 1/144 Minicraft Conway powered 400 kits sitting on local model shop shelves for years due to the limited schemes you can put on them. Most builders are after the Pratt and Whitney powered 707 as a lot more airlines operated them. It would be a shame to reinvent the wheel for a whole 707 kit when there is a very good one already around and all it needs is a different set of engines, an economy of effort where you can spend more time on other subjects where an easy conversion is not available.

Good on Dan for this enterprise of supplying these different versions of models that are not readily available. In the end, it is all about the demand for these non-mainstream versions of existing kits and those that are not currently available. I hope the 707-400 sells well (as well as the 737-100 of this thread).

I have some questions. The Heller kit is a 707-320, Correct? Not a 707-320B/C which had a very different wing. If its the prior, it just a matter of supplying the Rolls Royce engines to convert it to a 707-420. IF I am correct in assuming that the 707-320/B/C/420 all had the same fuselage, minus the Tail size and ventral fin?

Would it be worth making a conversion for the Heller kit to make the 420 (By replacing the engines), and the 320B/C by replacing the wings and engines, and adding the larger vertical stabilizer? 

8 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

You are exactly correct Ray - I would like to see the effort go into something that isn't just a me-too. It's hard to believe a 3D printed 707 could sell for anything like the cost of the Heller kit, whereas a set of engines would be much less. This is where Dan needs quality input, not the meanderings of someone with no idea of the market.

I am a bit worried that OOB Models might spread itself too thinly on dozens of projects that won't sell. @orionfield

Thats why we do the crowdfunding. If we get a enough takers to fund the development, then we know the idea is sound. We also print everything to order, so there's no overhead there. 

1 hour ago, halcyonjet said:

The Heller kit is a 320B, which has a different wing to the original non-fan powered 320 and 420.

Dave

Thanks for clearing that up! So, maybe it would be worth it to do a 320/420 kit, since they would have the smaller tail and different wing than what's supplied in the Heller Kit

• Like 1