Airfix 1/76 vehicle/armour kits to be rereleased..

sapperastro

Hi all,

I have just seen at Hobbylink Japan that the Airfix range of 1/76 kits are going to re-released under a 'Airfix Classic Kit' moniker, with new prices that are double the price of the older kits. Has anyone else seen or heard about this? Or the reason behind such a sharp increase in price for these kits?

2 minutes ago, sapperastro said:

Hi all,

I have just seen at Hobbylink Japan that the Airfix range of 1/76 kits are going to re-released under a 'Airfix Classic Kit' moniker, with new prices that are double the price of the older kits. Has anyone else seen or heard about this? Or the reason behind such a sharp increase in price for these kits?

Greed.

4 minutes ago, sapperastro said:

Hi all,

The price on them is the same or less than they were previously sold for

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/airfix-vintage-classics.html

eg the WW1 Male tank, in red box is £7.99 in my LMS - £2 more than in the new boxing

Those prices are pretty high. Are they the same as the local hobby shops? I pay less for those here in Aus (taking conversion into account), let alone buying them from online shops.

Check this https://hlj.com/search/go?p=Q&srid=S1-4IADP&lbc=hobbylink&ts=custom&w=airfix 1%2f76&uid=152677838&method=and&af=category%3amil&isort=score&view=grid&srt=24

New vs old, they have mostly doubled, or more, depending on the kit.

Perhaps not go on another rant about Airfix ripping off people until we find out where the price rise comes from? As Black Knight said, the price on the Airfix website has not gone up.  I know their daft overseas postage costs preclude ordering direct from them if you live on the other side of the planet, but if the prices at HLG have doubled, perhaps that's HLG's fault?

Back to the original post, there's a thread here (somewhere) about this range, since it was announced on the Airfix website and in the email newsletters they send out. Seemed a good idea if only because the boxes now clearly point out the date of origin, so you don't buy something truly ancient expecting a modern kit.

Paul.

That trhread is here. Given their general price rise in recent years - also including some really old dogs like the Battle -, I'd consider their 6 quid tag for Series 1 kits quite moderate. Of course that helps only if you can buy them at that price...

Well, I think "double the price" is a bit of an exaggeration. Prior to their reintroduction as Vintage Classics, I certainly don't recall seeing these kits priced as low as £3 - £4! Would have snapped them up if they were that cheap. Certainly, they do not require another penny to be spent or, any additional work  in order to "fix" them. That is a matter of choice. They can just as easily be built as they come! Bottom line is of course that nobody is forced to buy them if they don't want them. Personally, I've pre ordered all of the AFV kits!. I really don't mind how accurate or otherwise they are. It's all a bit of fun. Nothing more.😀

Some interesting hints about future expansion of the Vintage Classics range on the Airfix blog this week. Doubtless the paragraph following will give rise to more fevered speculation on these pages! :

"With many fantastic and unusual aircraft subjects yet to appear, it is planned that some of the introductions will be limited and special editions and whilst some will be available for quite a while, allowing model stores to re-stock the most popular lines, others will be much shorter runs and will only be available for a limited time. It is even planned that a few modelling surprizes will grace the range, giving all modellers an exciting taste of Classic Airfix modelling heritage."

Allan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just been reading through the Airfix Workbench on their site. Fascinating reading and a full explanation for the reason to do this project I also now know why I am a fan of Airfix, they released their first kit in 1953; the year I was born. So I have grown up with them all this time. Waves of nostalgia coming over me .....

Good or bad kits they are little treasures!!

I've been one of the many filling in the little cards for years. I think this is great. I really want to see what I can do to the Panther my first tracked AFV. I've always had a soft spot for the 25pdr as well.

17 hours ago, tempestfan said:

That trhread is here. Given their general price rise in recent years - also including some really old dogs like the Battle -, I'd consider their 6 quid tag for Series 1 kits quite moderate. Of course that helps only if you can buy them at that price...

Yes there is already a thread on the link, so we will close this thread down.

• Julien locked this topic