S&M Viscount - Eagle Airways

This is not the build I thought I was going on to next. Everything has kind of gone on hold for some reason, while I get my head around this quirky little kit.

I have no idea why..... I just opened the box for a quick look....

IMG_20180606_123135

...... and I'm hooked!

It's VERY simple, it's very blank, the instructions are Pants, and it's really quite small.

Is it the challenge that draws you in??😞

So, I've got some progress before I ever had a chance to put the box away and carry on with what I'm supposed to be doing - a Frog Javelin in Nmf finish with foil!- and I'll do some catching up here.

This is what the model is representing....

1251848-large

The overall plan is rattle can paint on top..... I have some primer and topcoat left from doing Red Arrows Hawks.... and sticky back Ali foil tape just about everywhere else.

I removed the rudder pieces before assembly of the fuselage halves, and packed the nose area with plasticine to try and keep the tail up.

IMG_20180606_123320

A couple of threads mention the nose is a bit short, so I dabbed on some humbrol filler and shaped it as drying proceeded.

Left overnight and then emery-boarded , I think I stayed true to the Viscount nose.

IMG_20180606_123305

Also the shape behind the cockpit going back onto the main fuselage needed rounding of the angles into a better semicircular arched shape.

And I started sketching in some construction lines and datum lines on a totally blank fuselage.

The instructions give absolutely no clue as to where anything lines up.

Most of my information is derived from the Air Britain photo above.

Anyway. ..... 

• Like 6

Good start to a very basic kit. I have this kit myself and aside from a few shape issues and a bit of thinning of the flying surfaces I would save work on panel lines. Although the photo is a little fluffy, the panel lines are not that visible. Having said that I think the engine decals are well worth using  (26 decals) I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah @Britman, I was looking around on the 26decal site, and a few others.

I could've really fancied the old classic BEA livery, or Lufthansa.

The prospect of shelling out> £20 for décor and nacelles on such a kit doesn't sit easy with me!

I'm going to see what I can make of it with my foil process around the engines etc.

All that carrier film could provide problems on the polished Ali foil.

I've used it quite a bit, but not at 1/144 scale. So this is a bit of an experiment to see if it is viable in this scale.

Couple of bits on top,

IMG_20180606_123354

Rudder shaped and back on,

IMG_20180606_123449

and a rain guard above where I think the door will be.

Trying out a tailplane,

IMG_20180606_123711

• Like 1

Here's something, though....

My fairly good 3view drawing (of a 700 series) shows quite pronounced oil-cooler intakes on top of each nacelle,

IMG_20180608_184920

... of which nothing is represented on the kit parts.

Hard to make out the details in the few references I have.

Should I be trying to represent those? 

Or is it something that was altered, reduced or eliminated on the installation on the 800 series ?

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

So for the 800 series, with the angular doors, I'd definitely need the slight extension of the front?

Hi Rob,

the kit is just about right for an 800 series, only just 1mm short, so you don't want to be adding much to the front. It might be better to file down the top of the nose to make the angular effect look right.

Mike

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Thanks for that, @bootneck

No probs Rob.  I've just started one of those myself, plus a vacform Viscount 700 by Griffin, otherwise I wouldn't have known that myself.  Each time I try to progress, I learn of; read about; or see something, that throws me off kilter and I have to go back and do more research.  No wonder I have a shelf full of unfinished kits!

Mike

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Gotta love a Viscount. 

You're not wrong there, Max H!!

World Class.... 

I'm not really up to speed with all the commercial Airlines, old and new.

I've only recently kind of drifted into it via a Beech 18 and a couple of DC 3s.

I'm loving it!

On the tail fin is a little flag- the decal sheet includes 2types

IMG_20180607_221446

I'm not as good on flags as I used to be, but obviously Commonwealth, I'm thinking West Indies.... Barbados or Virgin Islands or....

I guess "Eagle" was a popular choice worldwide. There may have been several.

What scale is the vac form model?

I've never tried one.

When I saw this...

IMG_201806156_084122

.... I knew I had to go for deployed flaps.

Bit of butchering and...

IMG_20180607_221137

This is just a dry fit - that wing -to-fuselage joint isn't bad.

Foil on the main planes, before assembly,

IMG_20180607_235520

The nacelles can't be done until they're together .

I notice that the word EAGLE is on the wing in Red. Nothing on the sheet though.

What I DO have is Reg lettering in black, and no idea where it goes!

Opposite wing?

Underside of wing?

Underside opposite wing?

Any ideas welcome😞

VR is Bermudan registry.  

The vacform is 1:144

griffin_vickers_viscount_700_series_1000

the plastic sheet has been sprayed black to help define where to sand down to.  Note the narrow white line on piece to the left, sanding is done until the white disappears.

griffin_vickers_viscount_700_series_1000

Mike

• Like 2

You'll find that the S&M kit has twice the main wheels required- should be able to donate to the Griffin model.

I got a bit of a polish-up going on the tailplanes. Some reflections starting to happen.

IMG_20180608_142351

IMG_20180608_142428

Edited by rob Lyttle

16 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Registered VR-BAX or VR-BAY.

VR for Virgin Islands??

The other option is G-APDX though, and that's UK.

1251848-large

Hello Rob here is the current listing of National registrations for aircraft. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_registration_prefixes

I did a Google of VR-BAX. It comes up Bermuda/Cayman Islands. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I think I may have a problem.

It's regarding the red paint on the nose area. I think I got the masking high.lt goes right down to the tip of the nose.

Is this why people do research before they start building and painting??😮

So hard to know what the decal is going to do in a situation like this before it's applied.

I think I need to sort the red paint out using Merlin Jones' fine example as a guide.

And this ref

IMG_201806162_115318

It's certainly more information than S&M have supplied!

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

On 09/06/2018 at 00:24, rob Lyttle said:

What I DO have is Reg lettering in black, and no idea where it goes!

Opposite wing?

It's Yes, on the opposite wing, and it should be in red to match the "EAGLE" on the port wing... that I don't have 😕