Red Stripe Hampden a build too far ? ++ FINISHED ++

Some update pictures below and a couple of questions

First photos

IMG_4057

IMG_4058

IMG_4059

ok, now the questions.

1. What Humbrol colours are correct for this aircraft ?

I don't have Airfix Dark Earth M5, Dark Green M3 and Black M6 as per the original instructions.

2. I believe the rear of the engine cowling for this aircraft should be silver, is that correct ? It's not in the instructions but have seen this elsewhere on the interweb !

cheers Pat

• Like 7

H29 for Dark Earth, not sure which is the recommended Dark Green nowadays but maybe 116 - just avoid 30.  Any black will do, but it'll look better mixed with a very dark grey to tone it down.  Better buy the right colours from Colourcoats, or even Xtracolour.

The cowling gills are often seen as bare metal on Bristol engines but I'm not sure how universal that was.  Something duller than the bright H11.

The collector ring at the front of the engine was stainless steel discolored by heat not rust, copper, brass, antique bronze or any of the other colours often seen on models.

Part 115 is a venturi used to provide a vacuum for the pressure instruments, which is why it is mounted near the cockpit - just in case anyone really thought that it was a klaxon!

• Like 7

Ain't it blooming marvellous, I have a box of paints that's overflowing and do you think H116 or a Revell equivalent is amongst them.... not a chance !  :raincloud:

I have enough H30 to repaint the living room !   :angry:

• Sad 1

Looking good Pat, what type of mask set did you have in mind, I would'nt have thought there would be one available for this kit.

Is the wing to body fit that good that you won't end up with a seam join showing? That would be ideal and would be a true testiment to the engineering of these new tooled kits way back then.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 4

looking pretty sweet there!!! 👍

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking good Pat, what type of mask set did you have in mind, I would'nt have thought there would be one available for this kit.

Is the wing to body fit that good that you won't end up with a seam join showing? That would be ideal and would be a true testiment to the engineering of these new tooled kits way back then.

Cheers.. Dave.

I was having a look on fleabay and you can get an airwaves etch set for this!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Its OK Pat, from what I've read the Airwaves Hampden set is not a great fit for the Airfix kit, a pack of plastic strip might serve you better.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Just teasing Lawser :winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2018 at 2:57 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi Dave

Yes the fit is really good, but I made a bad decision fitting the engines to the wings before I had finished painting them. Therefore I have left the wings off for easy of access.

I will put a picture of wings to fuselage fit up tomorrow, might need a spot of filler but not much. Canopy masking is turning into an absolute sod. I will need to borrow a hole punch from work tomorrow for the bombsight part of the front canopy. Also comparing the pictures of framework to that mounded on the parts shows some missing completely......

Stevej60 has a lot to answer for, getting me to build this !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Yes, this isn't the easiest kit to build, but it will be worth it in the end. Just thank your lucky stars you didn't try to do the 1/48 scale one. That really is a nightmare. 

I think it is time we all pray to the Airfix goods for a new mould. The real plane might have been a nightmare for those that flew in it, but it makes a great looking model.

• Like 3

If you really want to do a Hampden, forget the Airfix (for good reasons shown above) and get the AZ kit.  It is the Valom tooling with new transparencies that actually fit.  The torpedo-bomber version actually has the correct shape for the underside.  (again, AZ not Valom.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If you really want to do a Hampden, forget the Airfix (for good reasons shown above) and get the AZ kit.  It is the Valom tooling with new transparencies that actually fit.  The torpedo-bomber version actually has the correct shape for the underside.  (again, AZ not Valom.)

Now he tells me !

:angry:

• Haha 3

I thought that you already had it when I first saw this thread.  Besides, it isn't terrible (at least my rather elderly boxing isn't) and I do have a set of Falcon transparencies plus a pair of Hereford cowlings.  Though the transparencies might find better use on the Valom kit, assuming the odd piece of microstrip doesn't work its usual wonders.  Real Soon Now.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2018 at 2:57 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi Dave

Joints aren't too shabby, picture below

IMG_4067

IMG_4068

Getting there !

cheers Pat

• Like 14

Looking good Pat and it does seem to fit together quite nicely. I've never been a huge fan of black plastic, come to think about working with white plastic is not that great either - however an original release of this kit might be something to look out for. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...