Red Stripe Hampden a build too far ? ++ FINISHED ++

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Adrian.

The reason I asked about the bomb colour was because the box cover picture shows green bombs with yellow bands but as you say I have seen yellow bombs with red stripes before, like on the Airfix Sunderland.

Im not sure about yellow bombs, I wonder if anyone knows why they were painted yellow ? I know nowadays that we are obsessed with hi-vis but surely this wasn't a health and safety thing back in those days :shrug:

cheers Pat

Quick history lesson !

The reason the bombs were painted Buff  is because of the Victorian Royal Navy!

When  in the late 19th century the RN started to use shells in their guns  with modern nitrate based explosives, they introduced  a marking system for the different types in use and a colour ring method of indicating their purpose and what types of explosive fill. The colour code for high explosive was overall light buff, probably as the RN  had a lot in stock as it was a colour  long  used on the superstructure of RN  ships (check out HMS Victory and  HMS Warrior Funnels and masts!)

This colour system was then adopted by the Army for their HE shells.

The first RNAS aerial bombs, in 1912-14, (the RNAS were the pioneers of  aerial bombing) as part of the RN used the established marking system, and all bombs used in WW1 were Light Buff and the aerial bomb marking system used this colour up to 1941/42 when the bronze green was introduced for camouflage reasons. That did not mean that the Buff colour was superseded,  the naval and army HE shells remained in that colour. 

In fact the colour system remained in  British forces use. It was added to and amended as new types of weaponry was introduced. It was finally abandoned in 1964 when the UK adopted the standardised NATO marking system. It could still be seen into the 1970's as bombs were repainted only when required by the servicing regime, (IIRC bombs were repainted every 10 years  so 1974 would probably be the outside date).

In WW2 If you saw a Green bomb with Yellow bands this was a US manufactured bomb. The green was Olive Drab and the yellow bands indicated HE in the US National ammunition marking system. The number of bands indicated the type of explosive. 

The US manufactured bombs were interchangeable with British bombs,  Lancasters could frequently be seen with both types of bombs loaded to the same aircraft at the same time.

British HE bombs were overall light buff with a red band around the nose cap to indicate a live fill and a Eau de nil coloured band  "around the bombs widest point," with the type of explosive fill stencilled on this band.

Look at some naval shells at the "Explosion" museum at Portsmouth. the front ones are in the original colour scheme showing  variations of hazard bands (different hazards, different coloured bands) used over the years,  the shells behind are in the modern NATO scheme.

Naval shells

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Thanks Selwyn, 

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that in so much detail, that's the brilliant thing about BM, I am always learning something new.

Buff with red bands it shall be then.

cheers Pat

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gamevender said:

I think those buff bombs are actually yellow ones that have had the paint scraped off in the bomb dump and have a patina of rust starting. The tails are clean as they are attached just before use. 

Hi Gamevender

Dont worry given the standard of my painting I promise they will look suitably shabby !

cheers Pat

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 1:37 AM, dogsbody said:

Thanks Chris

They should have gone for a Stirling rather than a Halifax, because the Stirling came with its own tractor and bomb trolleys......

Yes I know :coat:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 7

I've never built this kit.

Yet one of my spares boxes contains part 51, the closed bomb bay doors?!?

I always wondered what it was from. Now I know. Love those old instructions. 

I always meant to build one (yer Honour) but wondered what it would look like on floats 'a la' He115.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I always meant to build one (yer Honour) but wondered what it would look like on floats 'a la' He115.

🤔 only one way to find out.........😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A bit more progress, undercarriage assembled and hung in lower wing half.

IMG_3963

Wings now have the tops fitted and are drying. Bomb racks glued to aircraft Bomb bay floor, I need to paint the crew but small paint brush is in the bedroom along with a sleeping Mrs Jockney. 

Yes to answer the question I'm not man enough to risk waking her up to retrieve it so it will wait till tomorrow 

Now if only I had something else to build....:hmmm: :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wings now have the tops fitted and are drying. Bomb racks glued to aircraft Bomb bay floor, I need to paint the crew but small paint brush is in the bedroom along with a sleeping Mrs Jockney. 

Yes to answer the question I'm not man enough to risk waking her up to retrieve it so it will wait till tomorrow 

Now if only I had something else to build....:hmmm: :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

I know what you mean!

42889125585_357a6fa505_z.jpg

Chris

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I didn't know she had a sister !  :D

.... and your paintbrush won't be that long so you'll come within arm's reach! Get a cup of tea on  to take in for a distraction!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Goodness me it's been over a month since I updated this build and it's slipped to page 4 of the builds

Progress below

IMG_4048

Yes I know the bombs look as rough as a badgers bottom but I will either paint them when fitted or leave them to replicate the lived in look of one ones in the actual photos above.

Plan for tonight is to get the crew installed and the fuselage closed up.

Why did this take minutes when we were younger and now seems to take an age !

cheers Pat

• Like 10

Ha Ha - You may have forgot about it Pat - but I didn't - now get yer finger out I have one in the stash and need all the tips I can get. :lol:

...just getting comfy... :popcorn: 

Steve

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Ha Ha - You may have forgot about it Pat - but I didn't - now get yer finger out I have one in the stash and need all the tips I can get. :lol:

...just getting comfy... :popcorn: 

Steve

Thanks Steve

No pressure then eh ! :D

• Haha 4

I too have just acquired one of these in 1998 grey plastic and apart from the ship builders yard rivets applied all over it, believe that the general dimensions and shape look quite good. I think the wingtips might need a little squaring off but that’s no biggie. I’m also watching on Pat, so good to see you back on with this one. The pressure has just been risen a tad! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Goodness me with the time extension there should be no excuses about not getting this one completed 

IMG_4050

As you can see, i didn't spend too long worrying about injection marks on the crew, no one is going to see then once the fuselage is closed up.

IMG_4051

IMG_4052

• Like 13

Looking good Pat, nice painting of the one Pilot and three other poor crewmen praying to god wishing they won’t get trapped into that narrow fuselage! All wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1