Red Stripe Hampden a build too far ? ++ FINISHED ++

Good evening

Despite my best efforts to avoid joining this GB, I have been bullied into joining by stevej60 !

I threw myself on the mercy of the moderators in this GB hoping for a reprieve, but those hopes were sadly dashed. Therefore despite numerous unfinished builds littering all the current GBs I will be entering the kit below.

IMG_3902

Its the black plastic version which was all the rage at the time. I have a horrible feeling this may be one of the kits I've had the longest, so all the more fitting to build it for this historical GB

Good luck to everyone in this GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 15

...and good luck to you too PAT - I've just clicked that little follow button at the top - so a front row seat for me :popcorn:

• Like 2

There must be a proper name for these 'never say no, loose and flloosy' GB modellers, however most are probably not fit for print within this (thankfully) conservative forum. Great to see your lack of will-power by joining in on what is turning out to be a bumper GB, Pat. 

We shall all look on with immense interest and if the Airfix gods are watching they will announce a new tool 1/72 Flying Suitcase the day after you finish it!! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There must be a proper name for these 'never say no, loose and flloosy' GB modellers, however most are probably not fit for print within this (thankfully) conservative forum. Great to see your lack of will-power by joining in on what is turning out to be a bumper GB, Pat. 

We we shall look on with immense interest and if the Airfix gods are watching they will announce a new tool 1/72 Flying Suitcase the day after you finish it!! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Thanks Dave,

By the time I've finished murdering, whoops sorry, building this kit, Airfix will release a new tooled version to hide their embarrassment   ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Pat,

I always knew Steve was a dangerous character. What did he have on you to coerce you into entering this GB? An addiction to haggis and single malt? Damn, just like me!

Anyway, giving in is much safer, and who knows, you may even enjoy fighting this kit!

Will be enjoying just as much following your spirited attempt at taming the beast!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm in the same boat as you, Pat. Despite swearing off (and AT) GBs, I've got one stalled over in the Carrier GB (stalled, he says. HAH! IT HASN'T EVEN GOT UNDERWAY!) and yet I've been alternately stash diving and eBay stalking old Airfix kits so that I can join in here... Thankfully, none of what's in the 'to be got rid of' pile inspires me, there's nowt in the stash that suits the GB and I cannae find what I want on eBay, so I'm safe for the moment. Long may it stay that way!

Best of British to you in your Hampden battle (ooo, do you have a Battle as well? Cool! :D )

I'll pop in from time to time to see how it's all going.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Dave,

By the time I've finished murdering, whoops sorry, building this kit, Airfix will release a new tooled version to hide their embarrassment   ;)

cheers Pat

With their recent record on twin engine, slightly less than mainstream British aircraft, maybe a new tool Hampden isn't an impossible dream...... whatever I'll still keep an eye on how this old favorite comes together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'm in the same boat as you, Pat. Despite swearing off (and AT) GBs, I've got one stalled over in the Carrier GB (stalled, he says. HAH! IT HASN'T EVEN GOT UNDERWAY!) and yet I've been alternately stash diving and eBay stalking old Airfix kits so that I can join in here... Thankfully, none of what's in the 'to be got rid of' pile inspires me, there's nowt in the stash that suits the GB and I cannae find what I want on eBay, so I'm safe for the moment. Long may it stay that way!

Best of British to you in your Hampden battle (ooo, do you have a Battle as well? Cool! :D )

I'll pop in from time to time to see how it's all going.

Now Rob, let's not be having any excuses about not being able to find a kit to build.

As someone who has got more kits than I will ever live to build drop me a PM of what you're looking for to see if I can assist 

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Alas my friend, I too have many more kits than I'll ever manage to build. Heck, I have more 48th Airfix Lightnings alone than I'll ever manage to build, even without all the rest. Sadly, that parteecular keet is not, 'ow you zay, eleegible for theese geebee. (Funny accent? Wot funny accent??)

Thank you for your kind offer, I'll keep it in mind!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this one Pat. I never built it as a kid, but always had a sort of weird soft spot for the aircraft. There's nowt as queer as folk, as they say.

Ian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening 

Just back from the Jockney summer hols and with Mrs Jockney and both sets of twins at the Tiree Music Festival (Think Glastonbury after a 5.5 hour ferry journey with gale force winds oh and camping.).... yes absolutely gutted I couldn't go :rofl:

I can catch up on the part built kits littering the place while assuring the other half that I'm making good progress with the list of jobs she kindly left me.

Below are the long overdue contents of the box to show I haven't swapped it for one I made earlier ! 

I have to say the the moulding look very crisp, which is only likely given this kit must have been one of the first made before any wear had taken place.

IMG_3912

The instructions are a real blast from the past there is only four stages and the fourth one is painting and decals !

IMG_3913

IMG_3915

IMG_3916

IMG_3914

Going to start on some painting tonight, on the subject of which, what Humbrol colour are the bombs supposed to be ?

cheers Pat

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Those instructions are something else aren't they. 🤣

Love the hampden so I'll be checking in for progress. 

Good luck with the build. 

🐜

• Like 3

I was going to say how great these old style instructions were at introducing us youngsters to terms like 'pitot tube'. 

Then I noticed that part 115 is described as a 'klaxon'.  Presumably fitted by Handley Page before the concept of stealth was properly unstood.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

I was going to say how great these old style instructions were at introducing us youngsters to terms like 'pitot tube'. 

Then I noticed that part 115 is described as a 'klaxon'.  Presumably fitted by Handley Page before the concept of stealth was properly unstood.

I thought only the Stuka had one of those, every days a school day !

• Like 1

The instructions sure send me back and even the transfers look great - in register and not too yellowed!

I would go for yellow bombs - I did mine green when I did the Hampden but I think yellow is correct for early war.

Looking forward to this...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The instructions sure send me back and even the transfers look great - in register and not too yellowed!

I would go for yellow bombs - I did mine green when I did the Hampden but I think yellow is correct for early war.

Looking forward to this...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

The reason I asked about the bomb colour was because the box cover picture shows green bombs with yellow bands but as you say I have seen yellow bombs with red stripes before, like on the Airfix Sunderland.

Im not sure about yellow bombs, I wonder if anyone knows why they were painted yellow ? I know nowadays that we are obsessed with hi-vis but surely this wasn't a health and safety thing back in those days :shrug:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Im not sure about yellow bombs, I wonder if anyone knows why they were painted yellow ? I know nowadays that we are obsessed with hi-vis but surely this wasn't a health and safety thing back in those days :shrug:

cheers Pat

Not yellow Pat, but buff.

3870063253_8351872358_o.jpg&key=bdd920cb

It was a common colour for weapons, there is a thread on this, and them being part painted black to disguise them in bomb dumps once the got going and the UK got bombed.

Note bomb tails half buff half black

4759613403_4ed9b99d65_o.jpg&key=233b72c2

I'll try to find the thread..

PS

@Selwyn is the chap for weapons colours, I found this with "Britmodeller Selwyn buff" in Google

The colour bands on bombs indicate different fillings as well.

Edited by Troy Smith
Add a PS
  • Like 3