Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert an Airfix Vulcan into a B.1?

I'll need to shorten the wings and find smaller intakes, and a smaller pointed tailcone, as well as a longer nosewheel oleo. Is there a kit for all this!? Or is it even possible?

As I understand, and I am happy to be corrected, the B1 was much smaller than the B2 which I believe the Airfix kit is based, I know it is a basic kit but would a Lindberg Vulcan kit be a viable alternative?

I know the scale is different, if you are not rigid on scale maybe worth a thought.

On 08/06/2018 at 17:33, fatalbert said:

I have that conversion  but intend to do a B1a so the pointed tail cone is surplus.if you want it you can have it.

Thanks, that would be fantastic! Pm sent ...

On 6/9/2018 at 9:27 PM, stever219 said:

Aside from the tail cone of the B. 1 the fuselage was identical (B. 1A and B. 2 had the same tail cone).

I don't think that's quite right, although I can't document it. I believe the difference is related to the Red Steer Mk I and Mk II tail warning radars.

Also the tail bumper on the earlier tail cone gave way to the sensor type on the B2. The rear radome profiles aren't identical.

B1A photo reversed for comparison purposes.

27860739747_b1b7f7f10c_b.jpg

Edited by Reparty
layout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

I know it is a basic kit but would a Lindberg Vulcan kit be a viable alternative?

I know the scale is different, if you are not rigid on scale maybe worth a thought.

The Lindberg kit is of the prototypes, and I think not quite representative of the 1. The FRog kit, also to 1/96, seems to be a much better starting point, but it is a rather expensive collector's item.

• Like 1