Bandai Gundam Nu Ver Ka Mobile Suit

Hi chaps, 

As a break from aircraft and ships I was asked to make a rare forage into Gundam territory... so rare in fact, that it's my only one, but I hope to change all that in the future. This is Bandai's 1/100th scale Master Grade Nu Gundam Ver Ka which I built for Airfix Model World magazine last year and proved to be a highly enjoyable experience. The engineering that went into the thing was astounding along with the amazing range of articulation. The frame is a work of art and it was almost a shame to cover it up in body armour. All the usual features are present, the fin funnels which either clip onto the backpack or can be displayed separately on a special clear stand, surrounding the suit in the airborne mode, choice of weapons and shield, chrome stickers including the green 'Psycho frame' parts for the 'transformation', (though this feature is more trouble than it's worth, to be honest as I'm not overkeen on pulling my fully painted and weathered models apart at the best of times!) The model is sturdy and takes all the pulling into shape abuse well considering it's plastic..the poly-caps work particularly well here.

For Weathering I ended up using just about every AMMO-MIG product available, from Streaking Grime and Chipping Effects to engine grime, and oil stains, Abteilung oil washes and pastel powders were used to replicate heavier accumulations of grime and dirt and MIG's 'Mechas and Robots Colors' set was used for the primary suit colours. 

Now, we could have done with one or two of these at Verdun...things may have gone somewhat differently, but hey-ho.....hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Would I do another?...definitely, in fact, I think we have more coming...I'm rather taken with the idea of building and weathering the awesome red Sazabi Ver Ka, this time as part of a vignette.

Cheers, thanks for looking :cheers:

Ver-Melchie-Ka

1-2-_DSC_0401.jpg

6-8-_DSC_0413-001.jpg

2-4-_DSC_0402-001.jpg

7-1-_DSC_0417-001.jpg

1-1-_DSC_0395.jpg

3-5-_DSC_0407-001.jpg

4-7-_DSC_0408-001.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 15

I was just chatting with one of our members this past sunday at our local club show (Northern Model Show), who's main interest is Sci-Fi subjects, and he had a couple of Gundam models with him. Really interesting background for these subjects (no, I didn't get bored!), and its something I would fancy doing instead of the usual Aircraft and occasional AFV. Trouble is, I'd be worried I'd get sucked into it, if you know what I mean😉

Great job Melchie.

Davey.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, appreciated. 

James, ...I hate cliches but, err, variety is the spice and all that...must admit to getting bored with just doing one subject all the time and a change is as good as a.........oh, here we go again, weird thing is, they're all true.

Davey..a very good point, it's horribly easy to get sucked into all this mecha stuff as there's now so much available and they certainly aren't cheap!. I was talking to the Bandai guy at Telford who supplied the model for us and his enthusiasm about the subject became so highly infectious that I found myself asking for others to build for articles and he was only too happy to oblige......I had to reign it back in as I already have enough on as it is and there's only a limited amount of space here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks guys, appreciated. 

Davey..a very good point, it's horribly easy to get sucked into all this mecha stuff as there's now so much available and they certainly aren't cheap!. 

Is this just all clipped together Melchie?  I guess you painted all the individual pieces before assembling, was the weathering done as you went or when it was finished?

My wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her the finished article (although admitted it was superbly finished and photographed).

I got 'The Look' when I proceeded to show her some of them on 'Evil-bay' and informed her of my interest in turning my hand to one 🙂

Must resist...… resist Dammit!

Davey.

Thanks Pete old fella, the popsies, yes, never thought about them, but you have a point...actually we could have done with a few of them in the Harrow back row, couldn't see them blubbing at half-time and presenting a letter to Matron...

Davey, yes all clipped into place, (well a few items were a bit loose so they received a quick brush of Mr.Cement S, just remember not to touch the poly caps). After being fitted to the frame the head, shoulders and torso were painted as subassemblies then pushed together before being weathered. The legs and arms were weathered separately then pushed into their sockets and the 'feet', hands and 'flappy bits' were added at the end of the build. The weapons and fin funnels were finished after the suit was assembled.

When you first open the box it's a bit overwhelming as there are a LOT of parts but providing you follow the instructions carefully the kit builds up relatively quickly...the weathering is another matter, that took a lot longer...

Don't worry you're not alone...I regularly get the rolled (or more likely, heavily glazed) eyes, however, for some strange reason the Mem really likes this one...I hate to think why!  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I proceeded to show her some of them on 'Evil-bay' and informed her of my interest in turning my hand to one 

Dave, if your after a Mecha to build you might like to try here and save yourself a bit of cash....Gundam!  I use Banzai hobby  the most as there price and shipping cost seam to be about the best for single kit orders if your going to go mad and order 4 or 5 at once then here might be better here, lots of Gundam

@General melchett That has to be one of the filthiest RX-93 I have seen, it look fantastic really like the look. I would definitely recommend the MG Sazabi, even more parts to paint and build to the two would look great together. 

• Like 1

Thanks rockpop, I like 'em down and dirty....to be honest, to my eye, unless they're weathered and a bit battered they look too toy-like, (nothing wrong with that if that's what you're after). In this wonderful alternative reality, these things would have been battle-scarred and weather-worn pretty quickly so that's what I wanted to portray here. I agree, the contrast between the Sazabi and Ver Ka would make for an impressive dio/vignette...will have to look into this.

4 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Dave, if your after a Mecha to build you might like to try here and save yourself a bit of cash....Gundam!  I use Banzai hobby  the most as there price and shipping cost seam to be about the best for single kit orders if your going to go mad and order 4 or 5 at once then here might be better here, lots of Gundam

Mustn't look.... Mustn't LOOK!!…….  Oops, I looked. 🙄

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

You need to do your homework work before buying anything but I use this site, just dont let on to any of the Bandai fan boys, they get very upset...... DO NOT OPEN ME  😈

Is the quality as good as the Bandai kits?  Some interesting stuff.  That Ver Ka looks cheap.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Is the quality as good as the Bandai kits?  Some interesting stuff.  That Ver Ka looks cheap.

No, but I think Bandai is exceptionally good compared to any other model maker out there. Some of the Daban kit are OK others are proper poo, I have a Daban Jesta and its OK, also have the motor king Zaku tank. It did take a bit filler etc to build (you tank and aircraft lot are well used to this) but is makes a great kit. I have the more resent Nillson Works Astray and that is very very good,  not nearly perfect like Bandai but not far off. Do not buy anything from TT goagoa unless your really after a skills test, I had a MG Sinanju and is was very poor, I used it for parts. If you see something you fancey Google it or have look on YT you will get plenty of results for most things. 

Just so you know know most but not all of these kit are what most people would consider counter fit, I will leave it there as it a very hot topic in the Gundam fan base.

Edited by rockpopandchips

This is a stunner, I shall look forward to the relevant issue making it out to the colonies. It's probably my fave suit in the entire Gundam universe too.

I note that you said you weathered in sub-assemblies, did you have any problems with the plastic cracking under the influence of enamel thinners or do anything to avoid it? I've seen a few Gundam builds in books and magazines now and no-one mentions this issue, but It seems to happen to plenty of people who build the models on Britmodeller and other forums,

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Many thanks Will, I'd also read about issues with some thinners reacting with the plastic but didn't experience this myself, (I think preparation is key here). The parts were primed using automotive grey and white acrylic primers, (Micro-meshed right back) with the white parts painted using Tamiya XF-2 and the coloured areas MIG's 'Mecha and Robots' primary colour acrylics. Klear was misted over the sub-assemblies to seal and prepare the surface for decalling. Weathering was applied using MIG's 'Chipping for Mechas' set and 'Weathering for Mechas set 2'. MIG's odourless thinner was used with the Streaking and Engine Grime along with two different Chipping/Scratching Fluids and Track Rust. Abteilung oil washes, (Burnt Umber and Starship Filth) and shadow washes from their 'Naval and Grey' set thinned with their Matt Effect Thinner. When dry, MIG pastel powders were applied using a fixer. Basically, a lot of stuff was thrown over it and to date, there have been no signs of cracking or damage anywhere on the model, (and it's been well over a year).

Hope this helps...

• Like 3

Thanks, much appreciated. I wonder if the automotive primer is the key? Or at least making sure there's a solid barrier coat on everything.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I think a decent barrier is the key Will. I also soak the parts, (apart from the poly caps) in warm soapy water followed by a rub down with neat Isopropyl to prep the surfaces. The auto primer is acrylic based and very gentle on the plastic and the Klear's not only for the decals but also to keep the nasty stuff out. I perform the same ritual with all my models, (including resin) and haven't had a problem yet, even with the more aggressive products....works for me (famous last words of course!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1