Fairey Flycatcher

On 07/06/2018 at 11:07, Sergey Dulenko said:

Dear community!
For a more complete decal for the model Fairey Flycatcher, search for any information on technical inscriptions on the plane.

I will be glad to any help.

Unfortunately, the only place those would be specified is on the markings drawing of the original manufacturer. So we are usually faced with trying to figure them out by studying the photos. Some of them are represented on the replica aircraft  which was constructed and is now owned by the Fleet Air Arm museum.  They may be able to supply some close-up photos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol. 10 No. 4 January 1988 contains useful information on the Flycatcher finish by Ian Huntley, including some stencilling details.

Patrik

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Patrik said:

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol. 10 No. 4 January 1988 contains useful information on the Flycatcher finish by Ian Huntley, including some stencilling details.

Patrik

IIRC, Mushroom Model Publications did a monograph on the Flycatcher in their Orange series that I think is still available. I don't have it, but it should have some good detail photos as well as photos of preserved examples that might be useful.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to Sturtivant, No.402 Flight Identification markings were "initially black side numbers 1 to 7, no fuselage bands. White side numbers 1 to 7 on black bands aboard Eagle. Side numbers  changed to 21 to 27  Apr 1927. On joining Courageous, side numbers changed to 501-510." From photographs these side numbers were carried on a sharply raked diagonal blue band. No mention of any upper wing markings and none are evident in the accompanying 402 Flight photographs. 

800 Squadron was formed with Nimrods and Ospreys in 1933, not Flycatchers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sergey Dulenko said:

222.png
I think the lower wing looked like this.
What is the aircraft number in the photo? The ideas are there?

It's not aircraft 509, which had the serial number S1252. So it could be 506 or 508, but we don't know the rest of the serial number Nxxxx.

That's the only Flycatcher photo I have seen with a lower wing marking, which doesn't mean there weren't others, but unfortunately

we hardly ever have photos of the same aircraft showing both the top and bottoms of the wings......

The red and white squares is a fair guess , but could equally be black and white (fin is black). Upper wing marking is probably the same.

Those wing markings probably denote the unit commander's aircraft and were probably 'designed' by him. They were not standardised and are unrecorded. The other aircraft in the unit may, or may not have, more simplified markings.

Probably not what you want to hear, but not all answers are known.

There are, of course, many other less problematic Flycatcher colour schemes.... 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...