New 1/72nd Airfix Vickers Wellington Mk 1C

By the by, General, I love the name of one of the paints you used on your Wimpy (Abteilung 510) 'Starship Filth'. If I ever put together a rock band, it will be called 'Starship Filth'.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Just to say that I'll be taking the Wimpey to the Coventry show tomorrow, (it'll be on the Bomber Command table, of course) if anyone's going please pop over for a chat about the kit or anything BC related, (or anything really!)

Cheers

Melchie

Wish I could be there.   Maybe one day...

Terrific Wimpy BTW.

Cheers 

• Like 1

I love the name of one of the paints you used on your Wimpey (Abteilung 510) 'Starship Filth'. If I ever put together a rock band, it will be called 'Starship Filth'.

Sounds like a (5 year) plan Zhukers.... personally, thought it had something to do with Kling-ons, but I could be wrong! 

Thanks Bill, it's a friendly little show with the added bonus of a lot of 1/1 scale Cold War stuff lying around for inspiration. Had fun at Elvington...glad you made it back in time for your meal!

Airfix must love you

Ha, not sure about that Glenn, but I hope they do sell well... success for them means more for us in the future, which is definitely a good thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ha, not sure about that Glenn, but I hope they do sell well... success for them means more for us in the future, which is definitely a good thing.

More for us is definitely good, General, and remember to keep whispering in Mr. Airfix's shell-like ear 'Lincoln, Lincoln, Lincoln...'.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Now that I think about it (my thinking about things is usually not a good idea and seldom ends well), make certain that Mr. Airfix realises we mean the 'Avro Lincoln' and not the American President of the same name. As much as I admire Mr. Lincoln, I don't want a 1/12 scale model of him. Unless he were dressed up and armed like the Terminator - 'All right, sic semper tyrannis this, Booth!'

Edited by Learstang
Additional peals of wisdom added.
  • Like 1

Oh, I will Marshal but it's all very confusing. 

make certain that Mr. Airfix realises we mean the 'Avro Lincoln' and not the American President of the same name.

A deeply confused reply neglected to mention the 16th POTUS, (awful term but not nearly as abhorrent as FLOTUS:o),  or the aesthetically challenged Continental Town Car but they did wonder why I wanted a 1/72nd model of a medium-sized city in Nebraska!....it's an easy mistake I suppose....especially living in Lincoln, Lincolnshire.....see, the confusion is quite understandable.

I hope Airfix continue the Bomber Command theme...highly unlikely, but a Virginia, Hendon and (all IM) Manchester would fit the bill!

• Like 1

Hello Dear General !

You really did great on the Wellington !

Seem to be a great kit and did it justice !

Would Mr and Mrs Airfix be kind enough to produce this kit at the real scale ?? I mean 1/48 obviously...

Everybody here arond know that I'm not so a Gentleman 😛

I show you pics last year, as a proof of Speckled Jim forfaiture !

He's now working under his real name... Möttled Otto !

I saw him recruiting some poorly minded ladies in Hyde Park....

I've asked the Airfix guys in Telford for a 1/48 Avro Bison, they burst in laugh !

What a lack of good taste indeed !

So, I'll find the Airfix magazine now !

Sincerely 

CC

• Like 2

The poor taste of anyone laughing at the idea of the Avro Bison, in any scale! Dreadful manners, with the Bison being such a beautiful creation (I actually have an old vacuform kit of one I shall get to someday, perhaps). General, I would dearly love to see the Virginia in 1/72nd scale - I would sell my firstborn child for one if I had one to sell! That and an early Tu-95 Bear in injection-moulded form are at the top of my hope-to-live-long-enough-to-see-it list. A Hendon would be brilliant, also. You are of course correct about the Lincoln; I'm afraid a 1/72nd scale model of Lincoln, Nebraska would be quite an undertaking. Still, perhaps if you speak very slowly, and use lots of nice pictures, they'll understand you mean the long-neglected progeny of the Lancaster (and do make sure they understand it's the Lancaster bomber that's being referred to, and not the House of Lancaster; no need for further confusion).

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I do agree that 'FLOTUS' is a bit too close to that unfortunate Latin word 'flatus'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dear CC...I almost understood half of that lot, putting it through the code breaker as we speak.  Now I am in complete agreement with you, personally I'd give Darling's right arm to see these BC types in the one true, true scale but I'm afraid it doesn't look like happening any time soon, (even if HK are producing a 1/32nd Lanc, I can't see an IM 1/48th Stirling coming along anytime soon). 

Now an Avro Bison would be nice though along a similar drug-induced fugue I'd go for the Blackburn Blackburn...however I feel that 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' so it may well be a non-starter as it could leave many modellers severely traumatised!

Jason, I too have the Joystick Bison, rather a nice little number actually with only a touch of the 'Gawdalmightys' about it...

Now if only Airfix were to scale up this Wimpy!! 

• Like 2

Dear General !

Thank for the kind words, in matter of a 1/48 Stirling...

@BS103 and me are mad enough to trying Something, so… Wait and see...

Now, I also start to collect some info about the Bison, and the Blackburn Blackburn !

I did'nt remember the thread in which thing start to spinning down about Speckled Jim, but it was fun...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Would have liked to have got to the Midland Air Museum model show today but unfortunately was working this year, hopefully you'll be at Telford showing you're wares for display once again this year.

Rich

• Like 2

@BS103 and me are mad enough to trying Something, so… Wait and see...

Well, I had a funny feeling you both might...Pierre also seems to enjoy the rough end of the trench! Well, he was kind enough to send me his 1/48th Hampden drawings so all kinds of acts of brutality have now been committed to the FM kit!...and it's all the better for it, (less cartoon Hampden and more Hampden, Hampden.)

You need to get hold of the Contrail BB vac, it'll keep you busy for a while if your eyes can take it.

Rich, it was a good little show as always, nice to catch up with a few of the reprobates, maybe next year? I'll certainly be at Telford, we have a 1/48th Bomber Command VC winners display as our theme this year so it's out with the sanding sticks and on with the scratch building! I'll also have a few goodies on the Airfix Stand and Project Cancelled SIG table for anyone interested. Hopefully see you there... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Now an Avro Bison would be nice though along a similar drug-induced fugue I'd go for the Blackburn Blackburn...however I feel that 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' so it may well be a non-starter as it could leave many modellers severely traumatised!

Jason, I too have the Joystick Bison, rather a nice little number actually with only a touch of the 'Gawdalmightys' about it...

General, so very true about the Blackburn Blackburn; as the saying goes, 'The aeroplane so beautiful they had to name it twice'. Certainly not for the faint of heart, or those who are easily startled. Still, as someone who has seen pictures of both the VVA-14 ekranoplan and the La-200B and lived to talk about it, I have a fairly strong constitution, and I cherish my Contrail kit of the Blackburn squared. I'm just waiting to pluck up the courage to finish it in the manner it deserves. It will look right at home, next to my Joystick Bison, if I ever get around to that one. That also reminds me that I still need to purchase the A & A Models La-200B, to complete my troika of aeronautical beauties. Now about that Caproni Stipa...

Best,

Jason

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

Well, I had a funny feeling you both might...Pierre also seems to enjoy the rough end of the trench! Well, he was kind enough to send me his 1/48th Hampden drawings so all kinds of acts of brutality have now been committed to the FM kit!...and it's all the better for it, (less cartoon Hampden and more Hampden, Hampden.)

You need to get hold of the Contrail BB vac, it'll keep you busy for a while if your eyes can take it.

Rich, it was a good little show as always, nice to catch up with a few of the reprobates, maybe next year? I'll certainly be at Telford, we have a 1/48th Bomber Command VC winners display as our theme this year so it's out with the sanding sticks and on with the scratch building! I'll also have a few goodies on the Airfix Stand and Project Cancelled SIG table for anyone interested. Hopefully see you there... 

Oh yes I know, Pierre is worrying about the Battle parts, Hope that you received it

Seemingly Royal fail has screwed things up...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Ah the Stipa...somebody thought it a good idea to bung the front of a Tiger Moth inside a CFM56, add wings and tail and as a final thought stick a couple of bods on top! Now I'd like to see Meng do an eggplane version of this glorious monstrosity.

I have both the VVA-14 and La-200B underway but it's been touch and go building them, (I say building, it's more coalescing)...only short duration stints with recovery periods in between. You can only take so much!

Oh yes I know, Pierre is worrying about the Battle parts, Hope that you received it

Seemingly Royal fail has screwed things up...

Sadly CC it would appear that RF has managed it again...no sign of them so far, the tracking shows them to be in the UK but of course and not surprisingly, they have no record of it...but then it's only been a month, I'll give them another 6/12 months after which I'll chuck in the towel.

Tell him not to worry...luckily, yesterday at the show my fellow Bomber Command combatants stepped up to the plate and sorted out a set in lieu of Pierre's parts arriving, so all is not lost.  (I've PM'd him).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, The Crusty one........look Crusty, I was curious as to whether or not you were some unholy sibling of the redoubtable 'Crustydude' of the renown 'Somme Bath Incident', (amongst others) and so went off to check...then I saw your post regarding what had happened to you fella. In all sincerity, I'm really sorry to hear this and truly hope you've started to get things sorted out. It can be very messy, we have several friends who have gone through pretty much the same thing, this is where true friends support shines through. Can't imagine how you're feeling but if you want a chat just PM me...you might well end up on tranx and lose the will to live but at least you can vent what's left of yer spleen :angry:.

Melchie

• Like 2

Guilty as charged General Sah, trying desperately to forget the 'Somme bath incident' terrible business all round!😂😂 Thank you for your kind words my friend, taking it all one day at a time at the moment but I'm getting there slowly, these are times when true friends stand out and I can honestly say without friends strength and support this would all be a lot more difficult 👍

• Like 1

Well the offer's still there Crusty, just let Darling know via carrier pigeon, Saturday at the latest.

trying desperately to forget the 'Somme bath incident' terrible business all round!

I'm sorry but the infamous 'Passchendaele 246 a side cricket match incident' will not be so easily forgotten, not sure how you got away with it....all out for 246 balls, not one of the blighters left standing! 

I'm no afficionado of bombers but I was already tempted by the Mitchell and now even more with this one.

Thanks Pat, the Mitchell's a beauty but this one takes it even further, you won't be disappointed.

As I think I mentioned earlier I'm busy building another Welly for the Airfix stand at Telford at the moment and will post the build in WIP for anyone interested once the kit is officially released. Cheers :cheers:

That's absolutely superb General, I'm most relieved that there appear to be no downsides to this kit. Finally, we seem to have the definitive Wellington kit in 1:72nd!

Now if only some kind AM bod would release some Hercules cowlings and props...

• Like 1

Good Lord, Flash...thanks and how the devil are you my antipodean ex-pat friend. Hope everything's good over there in paradise, (I seem to have lost my invite somehow!) much modelling done?

It's all go over here in the HQ dug out...CA, rigging line, plastic card and setting solution all over the gaff.