New 1/72nd Airfix Vickers Wellington Mk 1C

General,

Not much to add to what the others have said, but your usual outstanding modeling! The night was especially impressive- just the right shade, to my eye. Guess I will have to dump my MPM and Trumpeter kits, now. Praying we see a Mk II version, which is my favorite, but doubtful. RU going to get the new Victor from Airfix when it is released? Well done, sir!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, very much appreciated, I think it'll prove to be a top seller for the company, personally I think it's the best Wimpy out there. 

Another stunner there mate,...... I bought the magazine just to read your article!!! Looking forward to meeting up next week!

Thanks Tony, appreciate that mate, Yep, very much looking forward to meeting up with you guys again...I really need to get inside the Mirage IV, (will bring a step ladder...... you keep 'em distracted and I'll use the jemmy!) 

I stated with an MPM Wellie and almost lost the will to live. I then got a Trumpeter kit that looked better in the box than it does partially built, so thank you Airfix!

Great phot John. I think you'll have a much better time with this kit as everything actually fits. I must admit 

I had a passing glance at this in the Magazine, brilliant build as usual Andy, I'll probably will buy the kit as it would look nice next to my Vickers Varsity and the Vickers Valetta

Hi Kev, cheers...being a Vickers man, you'll definitely want a few of these. As you say it'll look great alongside the others. I fancy a silver T Mk10 at some point...a lot of options with this one.

Can I assume the turrets are in one piece, unlike the nightmare Revell ones that are currently driving me to distraction?

Vinnie, the FN turret gun frames come in two halves, (each with a gun moulded on), a separate floor pan, the front glazing,  and separate back panel. Very easy to build, well detailed. The beauty of this is that you can build and paint the guns and frame then mask and fit the glazing over the barrels, making life a lot easier. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, very kind of you. I think there's a good chance of seeing a Mk II at some point...have to agree with you regarding the other kits.

RU going to get the new Victor from Airfix when it is released? Well done, sir!

I certainly am...in fact I think I can hear it on final approach as we speak!

Something I forgot to mention with this one,

The instruction sheet lets you know that you can omit a lot of the interior details if you want a quick build and not too bothered about what can be seen through the long fuselage windows...(I most certainly am as there's rather a lot of acreage to see through!) However, it's a good point if you're wanting to build the later versions with the plated over windows and waist gun positions fitted.

Edited by general melchett
  • Thanks 1

I know you've already been told this by others General, but the Whimpey's just outstanding 😍 you've created a superbly realistic finish 😎😎:clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

Many sincere thanks for the kind comments chaps, just glad you like it...

I bought the magazine for the article and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Chris, thanks for reading the article, hope it's of use to folks wanting to build this great little kit.

Out of curiosity, was the data for this model obtained via 3D scan of the real thing?

To be honest warhawk, I'm not entirely sure, I'll have a word with Simon, the lead researcher with Airfix to find out. He sent me the final CAD drawings to look over for any obvious errors before sending out the test-shot but I'm not sure whether he mentioned any LIDAR scanning of the aircraft or not.

Thanks John, you really must twist their arms, (just a bit) it's well worth the investment (in my very 'umble opinion it's Airfix's best 1/72nd aircraft to date...and yes, I'm still trying to persuade them to do a new Stirling). Apols for not getting in touch, the BC lads would like another trip organised to see how the project is coming along...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks John, you really must twist their arms, (just a bit) it's well worth the investment (in my very 'umble opinion it's Airfix's best 1/72nd aircraft to date...and yes, I'm still trying to persuade them to do a new Stirling). Apols for not getting in touch, the BC lads would like another trip organised to see how the project is coming along...

And of course you would all be most welcome :)

It's looking a lot more 'cockpit like' now

• Like 1

And of course you would all be most welcome 

It's looking a lot more 'cockpit like' now

In that case, I'll get something sorted out, be good to see you all again, not to mention progress on the project. We'll all be meeting up at the Coventry show in a few weeks so I'll have a word with the chaps then...

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

In that case, I'll get something sorted out, be good to see you all again, not to mention progress on the project. We'll all be meeting up at the Coventry show in a few weeks so I'll have a word with the chaps then...

Cool😎

• Like 1

Wot they all said goes for me too, Mon General. 

She looks ready to plug in the trolley acc'.

Will you be buying up the Horse & Jockey for your new mancave & Memsahib's sewing emporium?

BTW, this fly collection. Button or zip?

(An acquaintance would like to know, you understand)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Negotiations are already underway Pete...my man is having words with their man as we speak. The bar will be somewhat lost in one corner of the mancave but I'm sure we can find somewhere to put it. The Mem already has her own gin palace somewhere out in the Victory Garden, thankfully some distance from the house as things can rapidly get out of control, especially during her band practice... all that thrash metal upsets the local wildlife and poachers. 

As for the fly collection, why, button of course....not only the correct way for a gentleman of the realm to dress but also a great deal safer by some margin... as Darling would attest to, following his lengthy stay in the county hospital.

• Haha 4

I say, but a dreadfully brilliant build there, old fruit! Really captures the rather charmingly dumpy look of the old Wimpy. If only (isn't there always an 'If only...'?) you could perhaps convince (threaten? I'll send the NKVD around if you think it will help*) Mr. Airfix to see fit to bring out a Lincoln in the Lord's One True Scale. 

Yours etc.,

The Marshal

*The NKVD can be ever so persuasive, bless 'em!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks chaps, 

Open window looks very good

It's a great feature. Airfix gives you no less than three different canopies, one with the Direct Vision Corner panels, one without and one with DVC and the windows open and pulled back. I found the extra canopies useful when it came to painting the fuselage behind the pulled back window. I used one as a mask by attaching it to the fuselage with Gators Grip PVA, spraying the area behind the open window before removing the spare canopy and fitting the open windowed version. Worked a treat.

you could perhaps convince Mr. Airfix to see fit to bring out a Lincoln in the Lord's One True Scale. 

Zhukers old thing, this has been mentioned in dispatches but so far to no avail.....I put my best man, Speckled Jim on it just a few months ago with this very message but so far he's failed to return, (apparently according to reports there's a chance he didn't even make it over the British front line, I'll get Darling to ask that rogue Catpain Slackbladder if he knows anything about it and get back to you)...

Just for a bit of fun I took a few black and white shots of the Welly with the Airfix Resupply set I finished for our Telford display last year. Tried to give it a bit of a period feel, (unfortunately I haven't got around to painting the ground crew bods just yet).

1-_DSC_1377-001.jpg

1-_DSC_1382-001.jpg

• Like 6

Still shockingly good work there, your Generalship! I am ever so sorry to hear about the misadventures of Speckled Jim. Fine chap, Salt of the Earth, but a bit unreliable at times. He didn't perchance pass by a French house of ill repute along the way to the front, did he? - he's been removed from a few of those over the years I can tell you (sometimes at the request of the 'ladies'). He always claims it's for the purposes of gathering intelligence (of which he could use quite a bit). Glad to hear you have been 'leaning' on Mr. Airfix re the Lincoln; the offer to send the NKVD around still stands. Excellent 'leaners' they are. Just ask Marshal Rokossovskiy; he's still looking for the nine or ten teeth he 'misplaced' during his stay with the NKVD before the Great Patriotic War.

Bestest,

Zhora

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, 72modeler said:

General,

Not much to add to what the others have said, but your usual outstanding modeling! The night was especially impressive- just the right shade, to my eye. Guess I will have to dump my MPM and Trumpeter kits, now. Praying we see a Mk II version, which is my favorite, but doubtful. RU going to get the new Victor from Airfix when it is released? Well done, sir!

Mike

The Mk.II version is already displayed in several CAD shots of the respective Wimpy work benches on the Airfix website.

I had to look twice too til I discovered it.

Have to sing along with choir here, highly excellent build General.

Martin

• Like 1

Excellent 'leaners' they are. Just ask Marshal Rokossovskiy; he's still looking for the nine or ten teeth he 'misplaced' during his stay with the NKVD before the Great Patriotic War.

Yes I had heard rumours regarding the Lubyanka Family Dental Practice...not so much crowns and dental floss more hammers and sickles. Still, Slackys man Baldrick assured me that 'we didn't receive any orders and the captain definitely did not shoot this delicious plump breasted pigeon!'...I'm not so sure, so his arrest, trial and subsequent execution are scheduled for next week.

Thanks Martin, appreciated, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1