New 1/72nd Airfix Vickers Wellington Mk 1C

Terrific build their Melchie.   A beautiful paint job.  I'm very excited about this kit.  The missus even gave me a Big H gift voucher for my B day after I left various publications on the Wellington lying around.  I just wish Airfix would get on and release it!

• Like 3

Ooh that is beautiful B)

I've got one of these pre-ordered at Airfix with my name on it, can't wait to get my mitts on it :Tasty:

Very nice job Melchie and superb pictures too :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Very nice! Really lovely finish and restrained weathering. And Airfix give you the parts to open the bomb bay doors, unlike Trumpeter, who give you a fairly detailed bomb bay but a single large piece, representing all the doors closed, to cover it up.

Are the ailerons movable? Just curious why both of them seem to be up.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, very kind as ever. 

Can't sing this one's praises enough, being a Bomber Command type it was right up my alley. Very much looking forward to any future versions, especially a Mk II.

The bomb bay is very well designed with the open doors being moulded onto the two bomb racks and slotted up into the bomb bay floor, infinitely preferable to many individual ones...a single piece closed bomb bay door is also included. There were no fit issues at all with this one.

damn that Darling getting in the way with his fly collection, send him to the front!!

Oh, he's gone...forced package holiday to the Somme Front for a month...along with his blasted flies!

Are the ailerons movable? Just curious why both of them seem to be up.

They are but only because they're such a good fit I decided not to glue them into place, same with the elevators and rudder. The right one is probably deflected up slightly due to handling during photography, just to prove it I've retaken and replaced a few shots with them in the correct attitude.

Melchie

• Like 7

Another stunner there mate,...... I bought the magazine just to read your article!!! Looking forward to meeting up next week!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Lovely job.  I've been waiting to get a hold of one of these.

About 15 years ago our local museum was gifted the DFM of the gentleman in this well-known photo:

Gswilson-1.jpg

and the plan since has been to recreate this scene in 1/72.

I stated with an MPM Wellie and almost lost the will to live. I then got a Trumpeter kit that looked better in the box than it does partially built, so thank you Airfix!

I can only hope that the Techmod decals I bought years ago still work...

John

• Like 1

I had a passing glance at this in the Magazine, brilliant build as usual Andy, I'll probably will buy the kit as it would look nice next to my Vickers Varsity and the Vickers Valetta

• Like 1