1/48 Seafire FR.47 - now a Double Build!

Hello Thom,

Seemingly the 800th Sqdn has all the spinner painted in EDSG... Sorry

At least when they were entering the war area, the stripe came in August '50 after the B-29 "incident"

Be carefull of the crest on the engine cowling, Airfix did'nt gave it on my kit, so I bought the Freightdog decal sheet.

WP_20180324_17_11_29_Pro

No red nosed Seafire 47 on this decal sheet FSD48-008, sorry again.

Just have a brand new scalpel blade for your vac formed canopy, I was frightened too, go on slowly !

Pretty good job on the Wheel wells too !

Sincerely.

CC

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Thom,

Seemingly the 800th Sqdn has all the spinner painted in EDSG... Sorry

At least when they were entering the war area, the stripe came in August '50 after the B-29 "incident"

Be carefull of the crest on the engine cowling, Airfix did'nt gave it on my kit, so I bought the Freightdog decal sheet.

WP_20180324_17_11_29_Pro

No red nosed Seafire 47 on this decal sheet FSD48-008, sorry again.

Just have a brand new scalpel blade for your vac formed canopy, I was frightened too, go on slowly !

Pretty good job on the Wheel wells too !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks a lot! I'll have to look into a red nosed bird. And thankfully I have plenty of new blades.😁

As to the wheel wells, I'm going to go back add some walls and hoses. I'm going to see about emulating this pic.

P6120076.jpg

http://www.ashdown.org.uk/sea vixen/Seafire F XII/index.html

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Aargh!! What? Oh, just me being doofy!

Looked at the canopy I ordered (which is still in transit) and it's for the wrong Spitfire!! It's for the Mk 22/24! How could I have missed that..?

I think is still might work, at least for the back half. The windshield is the wrong shape though, so I may end up using the kit's part in conjunction with the bubble.

Or I may buy a whole other one!😅

Another update!

I started putting the covers on the nose. Port went on just fine. Will definitely need some filler to smooth the join, but that shouldn't be a problem. No, the problem starts when I go to add the starboard cover and find that it's short shot!

8BxQuX9.jpg

So I think, no problem as I have a second kit that will be having an exposed engine and no need of it's bulges. Go to second kit - and find the exact same short shot...😑

Well, shot.... I also notice while looking at them and the resin replacement that I had decided not to use that the bulges are the wrong shape at the front. They extend too far across the nose.

5KRFRtN.jpg

They should be narrower at the front.

seafire-47-735x413.jpg

I though about saying 'chuck it' and cut out the plastic for the resin part instead as one kit bulge is short shot and both are the wrong shape. But then I decide I can shave off the extra, so I pulled off that bulge and trimmed it to shape. Not absolutely perfect, but lots better.

kLiDbcx.jpg

And now to fix the short shot. I could shave off the bad part and use blank styrene to make a replacement. But then I'd have to replicate the bolt holes which I don't have the tools for in order to do it convincingly. But I do still have th eother kit... So, I shaved off the good part from the other kit's bulge.

oDEfQOY.jpg

And glued it onto the damaged piece. Once dry I'll have to carefully sand out the new seam and the bolt holes are slightly out of place, but I can live with that!

ngXXnaq.jpg

The port one in place. I'll need some filler to smooth the gaps around the edges, but it looks better.

ZA7E8Nj.jpg

As to the canopy, the Rob Taurus canopy showed up. As figured, the windscreen is the wrong shape, but the bubble looks right - except for the slight buckle it has. You can just make out one of them just under that oblong reflection.

eIEhyAK.jpg

So I have another on order, and this one is for an FR.47!

For the decals, I fired off an email to Airfix to see if I could get the decal sheet from the previous Seafire 46/47 boxing. That one as the red nose. If they can't then I guess I'll be buying another Seafire...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

Okay, so this morning I ended up making a bad error...

Rather than simply fixing a crease put into the port cowl bulge by a clamp, I pulled it off (destroying it in the process) which wouldn't be a problem, if I had remembered I had already used the extra part to fix the short shot on the starboard cowl bulge... So I didn't have the replacement part like I thought I'd had. First error there, just fix the little problem in situ and be happy!

But there was a fix! I've hemmed and hawed back and forth ever since I started this build about using the Quickboost resin cowl. Well now there it was, ready to be used! Huzzah!! 

All I had to do was cut and sand down to the cowl seam line and drop it in right? Right..?

Sounds simple and after a little cutting and sanding and shaving I was just about there and feeling pretty happy. Then get the Quickboost 'drop in' part and test the fit...

y3VGa2l.jpg

Yup, sitting too high and extending too far forward. And...

YRgA438.jpg

Too wide at the front.

Muther Fracker...

As far as I can see I have two or three options.

1) Bin the whole thing in a fit of self disgust. (Very tempting.)

2) Get the engine set I have sitting with the other kit, that already has the nose in the same condition as this one, and take off everything to fit that in this one. (Doing so would of course leave the other kit in the same condition as this one.)

(Which would also save the cockpit in this one.)

Or

3) Shop around for a fuselage halves and completely replace the nose. (I'm liking that one.)

Anyone have some Fr.47 fuselage halves to spare..? (With cowl bulges?)

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay, as luck would have it I already had a second Seafire on delivery, this one from the older boxing with the decals for a red nosed bird. Took a little bit to talk myself into cutting into it, but I want to make some progress again, so what are yah gonna do, right?

nLqe1QY.jpg

The donor kit awaiting some rabid cutting.

dGSh7dr.jpg

And cut. Not so smooth as my imagined skills would seam... But at least the prop shaft nice and centered!

i9N4pCs.jpg

Because I did end up with some gaps, I put some styrene strip in as shims.

xNkDCDZ.jpg

That's where she sits now. I'm going to try and get them glued up tonight, and not think to much about clean up! But, at least whenever I get to the open nosed Seafire I'll have some experience in cutting the plastic!

As an aside, while I was searching for images of Seafires I came across a way cool drawing. It looks like it's based on an actual design drawing, and what I love is that it is actually the plane I'm going to model!

(I now have this framed and on the wall!)

8010030596_984d18c01e_b.jpg

This is the page it is from and there are some other cool images of Spits and other aircraft.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/smon/with/8010030596/

And that's the progress so far.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

I 'm very impressed with the stages that you had gone through,notably sprucing up the cockpit but there's one area that I am interested in,which is to see how you overcome the problem of the too deep chin radiator.

30 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

I 'm very impressed with the stages that you had gone through,notably sprucing up the cockpit but there's one area that I am interested in,which is to see how you overcome the problem of the too deep chin radiator.

Never heard of a depth problem with the nose, the Seafire 47 has a deeper nose, I have heard of a problem with a gap under the prop, a solution here

Note, to view the photos you will need to use a Photobucket embed fix, and a browser that can use this as an add-on, like Firefox or Chrome.

@Thom216

Was the quickboost piece for the Airfix kit specifically, if it was for the Academy kit it won't fit as that kits nose is wrong.

For redoing the fasteners looking for a jewllers beading set, i got one off eBay for about 8 GBP,  which has 23 different sizes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-Handmade-Jewelry-Tools-Diamond-Setting-Beading-Stone-Beaders-23Pcs-Set-TO59/262011577497

No connection, just an example.

Barracudacals do replacement cowling and propeller parts for the kit as well

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=14

HTH

T

Hello Thom, Hello Troy !

I used the QB nose on my .47 but there is a lot of sanding !! And it was noted for the Airfix kit !

However, the resin interior parts are also particularly difficult to insert in the kit 🤬

The Barracuda one seem better but I did'nt have it for now !

Whatever, keep on with that good job Thom !

Sincerely.

CC

Hi Guys!

Nice progress so far Thom with the resin nose issues! You have lots of patience... :)

I`m a bit perplex like the others about the problem you encountered with QB resin cowling replacement. I`m currently building the Airfix FR.46 and the fit was almost perfect on my kit! Just double checked & it`s designed to be used with Airfix kit!

The QB ref I used is QB48-243

Here is my building thread:

IMG_1649_zpsuduf0dlx.jpg

IMG_1648_zpsnxbm6ciy.jpg

IMG_1646_zps8qcqqgtx.jpg

The paint scheme you selected is beautiful! Looking forward to see the next steps.... :)

Frank

Edited by Frank083
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice cut! I hope it goes together well! :)

Håkan

Me too! It does look a leetle messy, but not terrible. Still, I'll be sharpening my scribing skills and trying not to destroy too much detail as I go.

10 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

Chin radiator?!😨

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Never heard of a depth problem with the nose, the Seafire 47 has a deeper nose, I have heard of a problem with a gap under the prop, a solution here

Note, to view the photos you will need to use a Photobucket embed fix, and a browser that can use this as an add-on, like Firefox or Chrome.

@Thom216

Was the quickboost piece for the Airfix kit specifically, if it was for the Academy kit it won't fit as that kits nose is wrong.

For redoing the fasteners looking for a jewllers beading set, i got one off eBay for about 8 GBP,  which has 23 different sizes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-Handmade-Jewelry-Tools-Diamond-Setting-Beading-Stone-Beaders-23Pcs-Set-TO59/262011577497

Barracudacals do replacement cowling and propeller parts for the kit as well

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=14

HTH

T

Thanks for the heads up on the gap under the prop. I'll keep an eye on it.

Also thanks on the idea for the fasteners. I was thinking of how I was going to replace those. I have styrene rod of the correct diameter, so one thought was to drill out each one and slide a short length of rod in and sand it near flush. Another was a metal rod of the right size and just rotating it in place.

Which it looks like those jewelers tools do mostly the same thing. That I will have to invest in!

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Thom, Hello Troy !

I used the QB nose on my .47 but there is a lot of sanding !! And it was noted for the Airfix kit !

However, the resin interior parts are also particularly difficult to insert in the kit 🤬

The Barracuda one seem better but I did'nt have it for now !

Whatever, keep on with that good job Thom !

Sincerely.

CC

Keeping doing a good job is always the intention! Thanks CC!

8 hours ago, Frank083 said:

Hi Guys!

Nice progress so far Thom with the resin nose issues! You have lots of patience... :)

I`m a bit perplex like the others about the problem you encountered with QB resin cowling replacement. I`m currently building the Airfix FR.46 and the fit was almost perfect on my kit! Just double checked & it`s designed to be used with Airfix kit!

The QB ref I used is QB48-243

Here is my building thread:

IMG_1649_zpsuduf0dlx.jpg

IMG_1648_zpsnxbm6ciy.jpg

IMG_1646_zps8qcqqgtx.jpg

The paint scheme you selected is beautiful! Looking forward to see the next steps.... :)

Frank

I'm perplexed about it too. The package has the exact same code number! QB48-243. It looks good on yours.

The only thing I can think of is if Barracuda does another for a different manufacturer, then it may have been a mix up at the factory. There maybe a package out there with my part going on the wrong kit!

But that's in the past now. The new nose was glued on last night and all looks straight and ready for sanding!

1rSFRT4.jpg

lqn8Xn6.jpgh1y1DHg.jpg

A little closer and it's no so neat, but hopefully I can stop making mountains out of mole hills and clean it up to satisfactory condition. One thing I know I shouldn't have done was remove the entire nose. That just made a lot more extra clean up work for myself, when I should have just replaced the corresponding top cover.

My optimistic self thought I could cut it clean enough along the panel lines so that it would be simply 'drop in.' hahahahahahahah 

Over and done though!

One thing of note is the slight difference in the fuselages. The older kit's detail is just that little bit sharper, whereas the new one is showing a little softness. If I ever get another one, it will definitely be the older boxing.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Very strange situation! Same cowling P/N on same kit & two different fit! 😱New nose looks great! Start smelling paint 🎨 in the air...😁

Frank

Nice save!  Just like @Frank083 and others, I’m perplexed by the nose issue - it fiited perfectly on my FR46.  Still, no matter now.  I loved this kit; I have a finished FR46 and an in progress FR47, and both have been a joy to build.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. It was an odd situation indeed. Hopefully something to never face again!

But moving forward, I've decided on a way to mimic the fasteners on the cowl.

Troy Smith had a good idea,

On 6/30/2018 at 5:56 AM, Troy Smith said:

T

I don't have a beading tool such as that on hand, though at less than ten bucks it is pretty cheap. I would just have to wait for delivery, or hunt around town trying to find one. But then a dim bulb began to flicker in the dank cavern of my cranium, and I pulled this out that I had bought on a whim a few years back.

QkgTAew.jpg

Within I searched for the smallest diameter of rod and came upon this hiding at the bottom.

IE3vcjW.jpg

I actually wish it was even thinner, but it's what I got.

brCIMlV.jpg

I got out my dremel with the sanding drum and rolled the end along it at an angle then cut off a short length chucked it into a handle.

e1UpOJq.jpg

Just press it against the plastic, hold in place while rotating and you get this, circled in blue,

csIUKVe.jpg

It is just slightly larger than the kit detail, which was one reason I wish it was narrower, but once all the fasteners are the same size it shouldn't matter. The black area is where I tried gluing on a small styrene disk that was then sanded almost flush, but this newer attempt is far better IMHO.

Now that I know I can reasonably mimic the kit detail, I've glued on a thin strip of styrene with Tamiya Extra Thin along the seam. The Extra Thin should melt the styrene into any gaps to leave it flush after sanding and leave it ready for re engraving the cowl seams.

Sanding now...

• Like 3

After every few strokes of the sanding stick I would get a scriber out and redefine some of the panels, leaving less work to do at the end.

rkR2Agk.jpg

e6raclY.jpg

To rescribe the major seam between the cowl and fuselage sides, I'll use the other kit I have to make a scotch tape guide for the dymo tape.

• Like 2

With regard to the wings and assuming that you aren’t already aware, on the upper trailing edge, above the flaps, there is a small moulded rectangle. I believe that Airfix moulded this so as to represent the flap actuator mechanism, which opens when the flaps are dropped and as such wil need to be removed, if you intend leaving the flaps up!

In fact it needs to be removed, even if you are dropping the flaps, as it shows the the flap opening at the leading edge, rather than from the side!

Hope that all makes sense!

• Thanks 1

Nice tool you made! Gotta see if I can find material and make one like that myself! :)

Håkan

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tony C said:

With regard to the wings and assuming that you aren’t already aware, on the upper trailing edge, above the flaps, there is a small moulded rectangle. I believe that Airfix moulded this so as to represent the flap actuator mechanism, which opens when the flaps are dropped and as such wil need to be removed, if you intend leaving the flaps up!

In fact it needs to be removed, even if you are dropping the flaps, as it shows the the flap opening at the leading edge, rather than from the side!

Hope that all makes sense!

I must admit my naivete... I think you mean these little doors, the lowest rectangle centered in the pic?

GpTZvco.jpg

As to rescribing, this shows the scotch tape that I used to trace the panel lines onto and as a guide for the dymo tape laid atop it.

uv8VREp.jpg

For the curve over the fuselage, I transferred the line to blank styrene, cut the curve into it and then taped it down before scribing. Worked pretty good.

And here is the scribed line under a swipe of black marker to see how it would look under 'paint.'

p8UcRKP.jpg

LIgeriw.jpg

Can't see too much of it through the camera, but it's there and looking straight and neat.

Had to do a little touch up with some CA, but that's just par for the course! Again you can't see it because of the black, but a jog in the seam line was a little messed.

Edatin2.jpg

Now to hit those fasteners!

• Like 3

Last update of the night.

Testing the look of the new fasteners. May need to clean them a wee bit.

dmxZhEx.jpg

And finally getting back to the rocker covers again. As previous, I trimmed the fat off the front of them and one is glued on right now and drying.

Kjfz1fQ.jpg

I have to say, I think the kits rocker covers fit better than the newer moldings, at least before I trimmed them.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I must admit my naivete... I think you mean these little doors, the lowest rectangle centered in the pic?

On 30/06/2018 at 12:32, Frank083 said:

IMG_1649_zpsuduf0dlx.jpg

Sorry for my late reply, no its not the little panels on the outer wings!

If you look at the picture above from earlier in the thread, where the blue tape is, on the trailing edge of the wing, you can just see a small raised block. There is one on each wing, which I believe Airfix intended to represent the flap mechanism door, when the flaps are in the open position.

It is this that should be removed, on both wings and also on both the Mk.46/47 and Mk.22/24 kits.

Ignore my earlier comment about the door hinging from the side as I have just seen a picture of a Mk.Vb Trop that shows the door hinged on the leading edge so I guess that both front and side hinged doors were used.

Hope this makes sense...

41389126610_51bb7646d1_o.jpg

Edited by Tony C
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony C said:

Sorry for my late reply, no its not the little panels on the outer wings!

If you look at the picture above from earlier in the thread, where the blue tape is, on the trailing edge of the wing, you can just see a small raised block. There is one on each wing, which I believe Airfix intended to represent the flap mechanism door, when the flaps are in the open position.

It is this that should be removed, on both wings and also on both the Mk.46/47 and Mk.22/24 kits.

Ignore my earlier comment about the door hinging from the side as I have just seen a picture of a Mk.Vb Trop that shows the door hinged on the leading edge so I guess that both front and side hinged doors were used.

Hope this makes sense...

Okay, I see what you mean. Thankfully, the 47 wing, the one I am using and is split for the wing fold does not have that feature. The single piece 46 wing does.

Okay, with the fasteners on the cowl considered done for now (hahahahahahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHA) I moved back to the wheel wells while the Mr D Putty dries around the rocker covers.

I had painted them up but have since decided to add some details in there, such as an angled rear bulkhead and a length of rod, carved and sanded flat on one side to mimic the rotating shaft the gear leg would be anchored to.

QKwmeBv.jpg

jVDWqPM.jpg

Av6tbNv.jpg

There are some hoses that need to go in as well, one being the break lines. I'm also going to cut a section of blank styrene to cover how crappy and scored up that floor is. Yikes!!

• Like 2