Test shots of Revell 1:48 Beaufighter

Huub vD

It looks quite nice, I wonder what stores come with the kit? Looks like bombs under the fuselage and the usual rockets. Would be great if it came with the external fuel tanks and the later style rocket configuration as seen on the 45 Sqn Firedog Beaus.

I'm just about to get a Tamiya TFX, perhaps I should wait?

Hi

I will definitely have a look at the new 1:48 revell beau when i see one

after all isnt the alternative about 20yrs old now ? 

correct me if my memory is wrong :) 

cheers

jerry

Revell kits with their "Polish quality", moulding into Soap and now an overpriced kits with only one camouflage scheme... "Beau" is my favorite Heavy Fighter, belonged with Czech(oslovak) Airmens in WW 2, but i was very sceptic. When i saw their newest 1/32 Me-262... No, Revell isn´t Tamiya... definitely not. A BIG international company and looks and compare their newest kits with Eduard ! (Small company). Last really nice kit (but too with no sharp details) was 1/32 Bf-109G-6/G-10... Spitfire isn´t Spitfire, Focke-Wulf FW-190 too bad,  Me-262 looks as twenty year old kit. Many flashes, ugly white Polish plastic... And do you seen their Gripen ? Canopy - totaly wrong - made from ugly plastic. When i see on Airfix Victor have a mile better as Revell Kits. Maybe Shackleton is nice, but for me unatractive version (i can this who made "Fix" with Cannons in nose,)Small Spitfire - bad, Corsair - mish-mash between early and late Corsair... No, Revell was great in history, but to-day ? Moulding quality is IMHO

Very Poor ! I don´t understand... Old kits from Revell (As B-58 Hustler or "Bone" in quarter scale) looks better as their news !

I build an Tamiya "Beau" a twenty years ago, when was a Hot News and it is a Shake and Bake/click n´clack kit.... And parts still looks good, seen on Revell small scale Me-262(too twenty years old) and  their canopy part  :(

44 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

Revell kits with their "Polish quality", moulding into Soap and now an overpriced kits with only one camouflage scheme... "Beau" is my favorite Heavy Fighter, belonged with Czech(oslovak) Airmens in WW 2, but i was very sceptic. When i saw their newest 1/32 Me-262... No, Revell isn´t Tamiya... definitely not. A BIG international company and looks and compare their newest kits with Eduard ! (Small company). Last really nice kit (but too with no sharp details) was 1/32 Bf-109G-6/G-10... Spitfire isn´t Spitfire, Focke-Wulf FW-190 too bad,  Me-262 looks as twenty year old kit. Many flashes, ugly white Polish plastic... And do you seen their Gripen ? Canopy - totaly wrong - made from ugly plastic. When i see on Airfix Victor have a mile better as Revell Kits. Maybe Shackleton is nice, but for me unatractive version (i can this who made "Fix" with Cannons in nose,)Small Spitfire - bad, Corsair - mish-mash between early and late Corsair... No, Revell was great in history, but to-day ? Moulding quality is IMHO

Very Poor ! I don´t understand... Old kits from Revell (As B-58 Hustler or "Bone" in quarter scale) looks better as their news !

I build an Tamiya "Beau" a twenty years ago, when was a Hot News and it is a Shake and Bake/click n´clack kit.... And parts still looks good, seen on Revell small scale Me-262(too twenty years old) and  their canopy part  :(

You won't be buying one then 

• Like 1

So it seems the Revell Beaufighter will definitely be;

Cheaper, or more expensive, than the Tamiya

Better or worse than the Tamiya

Have better stores options, or not, than the Tamiya

Be better detailed or maybe not as detailed as the Tamiya

The plastic may or may not be very good

So it seems like we have a new kit of a WW2 British plane from a German manufacturer who is cutting back on their schedule, nobody has fondled plastic yet, and we have all these posts about how rubbish it may, or may not be.

I'm surprised we haven't had more of the 'they should have done a...' post.

Personally I'll likely get one but after a decent review and a good going over by somebody who knows the subject and isn't gagged by an editor wanting to keep his free kits coming.

I love the Interweb!

• Like 12

3 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Revell uses various makers for their moulds. Picking the bad, and extrapolating from this is something one can do. But it is not really worth it. Just wait for the kit, then we'll see. Hopefully Revell is aware of what they're doing with their more limited means. Focus on fewer, but deliver on them would be nice...

• Like 2

An interesting and informative meta-analysis of the posts so far @SleeperService :D 

I'm of the opinion that any new kit of a British subject has the potential to be a good thing but will wait to see some photos of the kit parts before deciding. The alternative Tamiya kit is good but not perfect so there is room for improvement. Although I couldn't help wondering for a moment if Revell had built up one of the Tamiya kits to put on display at the show...

• Like 2

Same procedure than last year, Miss Sophie ? Freddie Frinton asked (see YouTube : Dinner for One)

The Nuremberg 32nd P-51 and the Beau are just Show Mock-Ups. The new kits are still in the virtual phase. Steel will be cut during spring and the first plastic will see daylight mid/late spring, earliest. So we have some time to lay back and use the time for glueing, sanding and painting...

Greetings from Charlottengrad

be

• Like 2

I am looking forward to seeing this new Beaufighter, I am a little surprised to see what is slightly higher pricing compared to what they are doing some of the new 1/32 scale models for.  Marked at €39.99 this is the same or similar to what the new 1/32 Me 262 is priced at, so not complaining as such or comparing to other manufactures just surprised, but that could change when we see the final price or we may be bowled over by a really good model.

From what I have heard the new 262 is very good, I just have not got one yet, but will do as I want to do red 8 from the The South African National War Museum, in Johannesburg South Africa, my old home town.

So if the Beaufighter meets up to similar standards then the money will be well spent.

Ali

From Airfix was IMHO better as from Revell. I don´t understand why Airfix make a few 1/48 kits :( especially British Subject. Revell have really bad moulding quality. When i compared a 20 years old Rafale or F-15E with their newest Tornado... Eagle and Rafale have better plastic, crispy details a far better moulding quality. But both are Made in Korea and not Made in Poland... This is a main problem. Why have new kits a many flashes ? Why are from ugly plastic ? Why isn´t canopy crystal clear (in NEW kit ?). Why are details soft. Compared any Revell new mould with AMK MIG-31 Foxhound. I bought Tornado Gr.4 and Foxhound in one day - and compared it - both (real) airplanes have same concepcion, are from the same era... And no way - AMK MIG-31 was modern click n´clack kit with clever parts moulding, one piece nose section or Missiles... And Tornado was chopped on many small parts and here a flash, and there too :( And all kits are from 2016, but Tornado looks as twenty years old kit...But - it is a best "Tonka" in quarter scale, Italeri is obsolete and Trumpy inaccurate :/ (And MiG-31 have full combat payload and Gr.4 - yoou must bought Missiles and bombs separate - crazy - in long range fighter bomber :(

Edited by AlCZ

7 hours ago, AlCZ said:

I don´t understand why Airfix make a few 1/48 kits

??

In the last two years alone we've had a Spitfire I, Hurricane I, Defiant, Meteor F8, Stuka, P-40B and ths year will get a Walrus, Sea Fury and Mustang. So that will be nine completely new 1/48 aicraft tools in two years, the vast majority being British subjects and all nine being types with extensive British military service. We've also had accompanying figures and ground equipment.

How many completely new tool 1/48 aircraft kits have Tamiya and Hasegawa done in that time?

Edited by Work In Progress

Are there any photographs of the tailplanes out there? Tamiya got the spring tab actuators a bit wrong and Revell seem to have moulded the same thing. The RAF Museum example is also incorrect, having a mix of parts fitted from different versions.

I am just about to start on a late TF.X tailplane and elevator for the Tamiya kit, but if this kit has the late tail I might not bother ... RD355 should have the late tail, but the spring tab linkages are mostly internal on those.

There was an earlier post saying that both the Beaufighter and P-51 were just 'mock ups' and the Revell models still in design stage.

So perhaps too early to tell what it will look like in the end.

As with all things we will just have to await the plastic.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014459-new-bristol-beaufighter-from-revell-scale-148/&do=findComment&comment=2625669

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisov said:

There was an earlier post saying that both the Beaufighter and P-51 were just 'mock ups' and the Revell models still in design stage.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014459-new-bristol-beaufighter-from-revell-scale-148/&do=findComment&comment=2625669

I think I'll go for it anyway. It can't hurt :)

The new Revell Beau is good news either way in my book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisov said:

As soon as actual plastic exists, we'll know ;-)

But I bought a Meteor and Stuka only... Defiant - nice (i awaited a Night Fighter version this year).

Beaufighter, Blenheim, Wellington (Trumpeter is wrong in profile), B-17 !!! B-24 !!!! and Lancaster, Halifax.... or Stirling.... or Fury and Gladiator... Bulldog.... , H.P.0/400 etc.... or Sunderland - all British subject, when i can seen  in Airfix program.Especially Fury and Bulldog are great :o)

I need a new tool Flying Fortress in quarter scale and i give a - Mustang :( Baaah :( 

what ever the merits or otherwise of the kit, I think most of us would agree that if Revell had manned up and issues a new tooled TFX Beaufighter in 1/32 , the praise here would have universal..., not the muted cheers the 48th scale model has received... Ah well.. 

• Like 1

The praise might well have been universal but not the sales. Same with their 1/32 Hunter, another kit which "everyone wants to see" but not many people actually wanted to buy, hence was a commercial flop and had to be cleared at massive discounts. See also the Revell-Monogram 1/48 Catalina.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The praise might well have been universal but not the sales. Same with their 1/32 Hunter, another kit which "everyone wants to see" but not many people actually wanted to buy, hence was a commercial flop and had to be cleared at massive discounts. See also the Revell-Monogram 1/48 Catalina.

Which is why we must keep in mind 'what' we are. The vocal _minority_!

Perhaps essential to manufacturers like Wingsy Wings, Pilot Replicas or Tanmodel, but to Revellogram, Arfix, Hasegawa... we're not priority.

17 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Its looks just like one especially the wheels.

It does look like the Tamiya kit. They also appear to have used the bulged fairing ahead of the windshield that covers the Sperry autopilot on the Mk.XX. Tamiya included that part but never released a boxing of the kit that used it.