Test shots of Revell 1:48 Beaufighter

Huub vD

I know the Tamiya kit makes no money for Revell.

I know the Tamiya kit has some minor glitches that are easily fixed.

This Revell kt is either going to have to be much, much better than the Tamiya kit or as good as the Tamiya kit but much cheaper.  Either way Revell are going to have their work cut out to win over the hearts and minds of the enthusiasts (e.g. us), however, Revell kits are probably more widely available than Tamiya so it's sure to sell well where Tamiya are hard to come by and it's also likely to sell well to the casual buyers.

• Like 2

Just now, Wez said:

I know the Tamiya kit makes no money for Revell.

I know the Tamiya kit has some minor glitches that are easily fixed.

This Revell kt is either going to have to be much, much better than the Tamiya kit or as good as the Tamiya kit but much cheaper.  Either way Revell are going to have their work cut out to win over the hearts and minds of the enthusiasts (e.g. us), however, Revell kits are probably more widely available than Tamiya so it's sure to sell well where Tamiya are hard to come by and it's also likely to sell well to the casual buyers.

If nothing else, it will be available at a sensible price. That being the case, I don't think it will be difficult at all to "win over" anyone - especially if to the quality of the recent FW-190 A-8 and Junkers Ju-88 (for example).If the Me 262 is any guide, the P-51 will come in around the £30 - £35 mark. Nearly 1/3 of the price of the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya kit may be 3 times the price but, is it 3 times as nice? Up to the individual of course but  if I were interested in buying this subject I'd rather pay £35 than nearly £100. Whatever, I think this is guaranteed to sell by the shed load even if the announcement does nothing but induce :sleep_1: in yours truly!:lol:

Allan

32 minutes ago, Wez said:

This Revell kt is either going to have to be much, much better than the Tamiya kit or as good as the Tamiya kit but much cheaper. 

The recent 1/32 Revell Spitfire sells for between £20 and £22, and the Tamiya equivalent is around £100. The recent Revell 109 and 190 are again priced at levels where you can buy three or four for what one Tamiya equivalent would cost. So I'd say if people can buy several Revell kits for the price of one Tamiya one, then no, it doesn't have to be as good as the Tamlya kit.

I didn't buy the Revell Spitfire because the basic shape errors put me off. But if they can make their Mustang basically the right shape (which we know they're capable of, even if they have exercised those skills rather inconsistently in recent years) than the kit can be a lot simpler and less detailed than the Tamiya kit and still sell in droves at the right price.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

So will Revell offer me a trade in on my 2 Tamiya Spits and 1 Mustang with a cash back deal too?  

I suppose it's healthy competition but yet again having a massive choice from everyone of another Spitstang09 does get wearing.  Was there a 51d that you can't do in model form?

Trumpeter might get it wrong at times but at least they are producing models that are not just standard "fish and chips again".  

As a consumer I like to see products I want to buy not what manufacturers want to sell me.  Revell don't get my cash this year.  They are banking on another group of buyers .

• Like 2

Couldn't have put it better myself John. However, Revell will at last be getting more of my money this year than Airfix - only the Me 262 & Phantom are of any interest out of the new announcements.  Revell can at least count on me for the 1/32 Me-262, F/A-18E/ HE-219 A-0,MiG 25 RBT & Tornado F3

aLLAN

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnT said:

So will Revell offer me a trade in on my 2 Tamiya Spits and 1 Mustang with a cash back deal too? 

If the announcement of a lower priced Revell kit has induced subsequent buyer's remorse in you for your earlier Tamiya purchases, simply sell those on eBay or in the for sale section here, and buy new Revell kits if and when you want to build one. I certainly won't be selling my Tamiya Spitfires for now because they're the right shape, and the new Revell IX being based on their incorrect Spitfire II gives me little confidence in that being any better.

But in general I'm quite happy to sell a kit when a more suitable one comes along for my purposes.

Well thats some cash saved....I have a growing 1/32 RAF stash of multiple Tamiya Spits,Fly Hurricanes,Tamiya/HKM Mossies,a DH Hornet and so far a pair of Tempest's.

If the Beau had been 1/32 I'd have picked up 2 or 3 for sure....1/48...umm...none.

Mind you i do hope it sells well then maybe I'll get my 32nd TF.X in 2018/19

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

If nothing else, it will be available at a sensible price. That being the case, I don't think it will be difficult at all to "win over" anyone

You can regularly get the Tamiya Beau for £20 -25, I'm happy with that.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, mungo1974 said:

Well thats some cash saved....I have a growing 1/32 RAF stash of multiple Tamiya Spits,Fly Hurricanes,Tamiya/HKM Mossies,a DH Hornet and so far a pair of Tempest's.

If the Beau had been 1/32 I'd have picked up 2 or 3 for sure....1/48...umm...none.

Mind you i do hope it sells well then maybe I'll get my 32nd TF.X in 2018/19

I'm not scale-centric so I'd agree up to a point about 1/32. However, I am SPACE- centric so, 1/48 would be fine . That way I could get more in!!:lol:. However, what I would really prefer is a Merlin engine Beau!:).

Allan

• Like 1

All I need to know in the 1/48 scale department is:

* would I be able to build a thimble nosed Beau VI.f from the TFX kit without surgery?

* what happened to the Revellogram Case X Wing Deuce re-pop? 

* wonder what might be different about the ex-ICM Foxbat RBT in the Revell boxing? Just different decals, and for what?

I hope Revell make lots of money selling the 2017 range so that, one day within our mortal tenure on Earth, we might eventually get a 1/32 Saab J.35 Draken, plus new tool Beaufighter and Bf 110 G-4. And yes, get a move on with reissuing the Ju 88 A-4 as a C-6.

Tony

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tony.t said:

All I need to know in the 1/48 scale department is:

I hope Revell make lots of money selling the 2017 range so that, one day within our mortal tenure on Earth, we might eventually get a 1/32 Saab J.35 Draken, plus new tool Beaufighter and Bf 110 G-4. And yes, get a move on with reissuing the Ju 88 A-4 as a C-6.

Tony

With you on that. In fact, Revell will be getting more out of me than Airfix this year. Already have the Me 262 on order. The Tornado F3, MiG-25,Heinkel He-219 ,re issued Airbus A-400  and 1/32 F/A 18E will all be heading my way. All Airfix have of interest on offer are the Phantom & Me 262.Just one thing though, I would prefer a G series Ju-88in 1/32! - not that I would turn my nose up at a C version!  

Allan  

27 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

With you on that. In fact, Revell will be getting more out of me than Airfix this year. Already have the Me 262 on order. The Tornado F3, MiG-25,Heinkel He-219 ,re issued Airbus A-400  and 1/32 F/A 18E will all be heading my way. All Airfix have of interest on offer are the Phantom & Me 262.Just one thing though, I would prefer a G series Ju-88in 1/32! - not that I would turn my nose up at a C version!  

Allan  

I'm getting deja vu all over again

Shane

Edited by Shane
spelling
  • Like 2

I am fascinated how much praise the Tamiya Beaufighter receives. I found it to be a rather basic kit, it felt rushed to marked with the rumors of the AM kit in development back then.

No comparison to the Mosquito or most other Tamiya kits in that range. I'm happy that finally another manufacturer takes on that subject.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ka-Efka said:

I am fascinated how much praise the Tamiya Beaufighter receives. I found it to be a rather basic kit, it felt rushed to marked with the rumors of the AM kit in development back then.

No comparison to the Mosquito or most other Tamiya kits in that range. I'm happy that finally another manufacturer takes on that subject.

With you on that one.

Whilst the Tamiya kit is typically Tamiya with it's very good fit and accurate outline it is not overly well detailed. If the Revell kit comes in at a similar price and has more detailing out of the box (and you are guaranteed a better decal sheet) then I will get one (or two).

As has been said many times before just because there is already a kit of a certain subject out there it does not stop other manufacturers from making their own and getting a piece of that particular action. I'm grateful that there are at least new kits being tooled no matter what the subject, and whilst the likes of Tamiya and Hasegawa are being held in such high regard just what are they releasing new this year? Not a lot, especially for 1/48 aircraft builders.

Craig.

The Tamiya Beau is lovely, goes together a charm, high quality plastic, accurate, looks right, and has just the right amount of detail needed.

It is available for around £25.

The Revell kit has either got to be way better detail wise, or significantly cheaper.

Just a personal view, but I'm sure a 32nd version would have gone down far better, especially as that is a trusted Revell scale.

On 01/01/2017 at 11:28 AM, NAVY870 said:

Revells Mossie was quite mank compared to the Tamiya version, I think I'll save my pennys and keep my Tamiya Beau

There was of course over 40 years between the issue of the Revell and Tamiya Mosquitoes.

3 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

There was of course over 40 years between the issue of the Revell and Tamiya Mosquitoes.

I believe you mistaking the ancient Monogram kit for the Revell B.IV released 2008 or 2009.

The new Revell kit had issues with the main wheels gear legs props and a few other things.