Test shots of Revell 1:48 Beaufighter

Huub vD

On 20 July 2020 at 10:21 PM, Work In Progress said:

The TF.X kit doesn't come with rockets. 

Yes, you're right, which means the parts reduction is hitting airframe options harder. 

Do Revell have a for-a-fee spare parts department? I think I'm going to need the original TFX kit with the new clear sprue.

Tony 

On 20/07/2020 at 21:39, tony.t said:

I'm hoping those like me are not out of luck in getting a Mk.VI NF out of this kit. I notice that "new parts" unfortunately means 25 fewer parts: 163 as opposed to 188 in the original boxing.

depends on how the trees are laid out.  

Also, would Revell list parts in the parts count that are not required for the specific kit? 

Anyway, at some point there will be a review,  or an online seller will have the sprue shots.

Are the bits are surplus from one of the TF.X variants, then just ask in the wanted section here. 

If all else fails, then just buy the relevant bits....

Indeed, the unused may not be included in the parts total, but the Revell website photo showing a pile of parts seems to offer only the horizontal tailplane. 

Looks like I'll have to buy both TFX and Mk.I kits from which to make just one Mk.VI NF model (and waiting for some great deal to facilitate that), or holding off until Infinity do their 1/32 Beaufighter. 

Revell's policy may be a sound one to maximise sales, and I genuinely wish them well as it looks to be a fabulous kit. But all they needed to do was include the Observer/Navigator's bubble hood in the TFX boxing. Maybe other variants will follow? 

Tony 

4 hours ago, tony.t said:

Looks like I'll have to buy both TFX and Mk.I kits from which to make just one Mk.VI NF model

or just buy the spares,

https://www.revell-service.de/en/spare-parts-service/

which will undoubtedly be less than buying 2 kits.  As the TF.X has two tailplanes in every kit, ask for spares in the wanted section,  modellers tend to be a helpful lot and hang onto leftover bits as well ;) 

And you still have not seen what is in the new kit.  

4 hours ago, tony.t said:

Maybe other variants will follow? 

Possibly.  If they don't, maybe you should explain to them that the bits needed are available from parts they already have,  and perhaps markings (The USAAF had the NF VI?) 

Model companies need information from somewhere,  and some have worked out that detailed  research can be accessed by, erm, reading sites with populated by folks who do this sort of thing as a hobby.

Arma Hobby made use of the this when doing CAD shots of their 72nd Hurricane, which highlighted some little precise detail points, which were then corrected.

I really can't be faffed to look up the differences,  but since you want part for theTF.X kit, can't you just backdate the TF.X kit?   I know the Tamiya TF.X is based on the NF VI kit?  Are there not spares useable from the Tamiya kit? 

I saw one buiold on here where leftover Tamiya Mosquito rocktes were used for a Revell Beaufighter

Or someone will do a conversion if they don't,  sort of thing Freightdog do well. ....

The spare parts link doesn't work properly on my iPad 2 (something that's happening more and more often). 

Great idea to suggest a Mk.VI.f to Revell, using their existing tooling. However, I need to leave that to those who know all about markings. 

Frustrating, as it's such a fine looking kit!

Tony 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Announced by Special Hobby - ref. 129-4406 - DAP Beaufighter Mk.21 Conversion Set

Source: https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/dap-beaufighter-mk-21-conversion-set-1.html

DAP Beaufighter Mk.21 Conversion Set

This converison set gives you the possibility to turn your Revell Beaufighter Mk.X into the Mk.21 variety, which was licence-built in Australia for the RAAF. The set contains resin conversion parts, vacuum-formed observer’s canopy hood and a sheet of decals for two RAAF airframes. One of the offered machines had a fancy drawing on the nose, the other had a ‘tail art’ on the rudder.

21.png

V.P.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, the Revell Beaufighter Mk. IF model has been in 1:48 scale for a long time. Now I've decided to build the part. I have a lot of publications in my collection. SAM: Beaufighter and AJpress # 74/75 Bristol Beaufighter Squadron-Publ. # 1153 I looked at a lot of this in photos. I have the feeling that the Revell tailplane is way too small. Can anybody confirm this? I applied this horizontal stabilizer to several drawings. What is wrong? Drawing or component?

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by BOBO

3 hours ago, BOBO said:

I have the feeling that the Revell tailplane is way too small. Can anybody confirm this? I applied this horizontal stabilizer to several drawings. What is wrong? Drawing or component?

Your photos comparing the kit parts to the drawings show the opposite; the kit parts appear larger than the drawings. But, it looks like you are comparing the flat horizontal tail to a drawing of the version with dihedral and you have not accounted for its length being foreshortened in the drawing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Your photos comparing the kit parts to the drawings show the opposite; the kit parts appear larger than the drawings. But, it looks like you are comparing the flat horizontal tail to a drawing of the version with dihedral and you have not accounted for its length being foreshortened in the drawing.

No, the drawing show the horizontal deheadreal of Mk.IF or VIF, not from version Bristol Beaufighter TF.X

spacer.png

Edited by BOBO

35 minutes ago, chrisov said:

I had thought that the dihedral tailplane was introduced with the Mk VI, unless some early Mk VI had the horizontal version?

Some IIfs were fitted with the long span dihedral tail and they were retrofitted to some Is so it was available before the Mk.VI went into production.

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-32-bristol-beaufighter-dihedral-tailplanes-early

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1/48th Beaufighter Mk.IIF conversion set by CMK in design

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/04/beaufighter-mkiif-pripravovane.html

Googled:

The only serial version of the Beaufighter that flew Merlin in-line engines was the Mk.IIF version. Manufacturers of plastic models mass-produce only versions with Hercules star engines. For those who want to have something ordinary at home, our prepared sets will probably make you happy. In 1/72 scale they will be designed for the Airfix model and in 1/48 scale for the Revell model. There will be two sets for each scale, the Beaufighter Mk.IIF 'Early Exhausts' Conversion Set and the Beaufighter Mk.IIF 'Late Exhausts' Conversion Set. The difference will be engine nacelles with different designs of exhausts and also camouflage. Sets will contain decals.

Gondoly-2.png
Gondoly-5.png
Gondoly-3.png
Gondoly-11.png
Gondoly-14.png

V.P.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Homebee said:

From Aerocraft Models, Bristol Beaufighter replacement cowlings and engines set.

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/bristol-beaufighter-replacement-cowlings-and-engines-for-the-revell-kits

52587410746-dfe3ffd610-b.jpg

V.P.

I have the set for the Tamiya version and they are superb ‘mouldings’. Fast service if ordered direct too 👍

Trevor