1/72nd Eduard Spitfire Mk.VIII,...USAAF & Mk.IXe French AF...BOTH FINISHED

On 6/24/2018 at 12:19 AM, tonyot said:

,..... I tend to keep choosing subjects that you want to do too,....... there is no reason for you not to go ahead and still do your own mate.

I could make a career out of 'copying' your builds Tony. In fact I might just do that....not that I could keep up, I haven't even started my 100 Grp B-17 yet, that was months ago!  Another lovely build/finish of a very interesting subject!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers lads,......

Here is a colour side view of the Spitfire Mk.IX that I intend to replicate, although the reference photo in a book does show a yellow outline to the fuselage roundel. The same pilot carried `GG' codes on his Vichy French Dewoitine!

21_14

The unit fought its way up through the South of France and ended up in Germany,.... so just about MTO?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

On 6/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve finally finished the Mk.VIII,...... although the pitot went missing en route to the porch to photograph the model!!

DSCF4473_NEWDSCF4487_NEWDSCF4476_NEWDSCF4484_NEWDSCF4478_NEWDSCF4485_NEWDSCF4483_NEWDSCF4479_NEWDSCF4481_NEWDSCF4480_NEW

So the Mk.IX is next and I have quite a nice scheme lined up!

Cheers

Tony

That's a lovely looking Spitfire Tony. 

It's a really attractive scheme with a nice splash of colour. 

I've always shied away from doing a Spitfire in anything other than British markings, but the Greek shark mouthed aircraft you displayed recently and now this one, may have just swayed me. 

Thank you for the inspiration. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers lads,......

Here is a colour side view of the Spitfire Mk.IX that I intend to replicate, although the reference photo in a book does show a yellow outline to the fuselage roundel. The same pilot carried `DD' codes on his Vichy French Dewoitine!

21_14

The unit fought its way up through the South of France and ended up in Germany,.... so just about MTO?

Cheers

Tony

Good morning Tony

This unit was reequipped with Spitfire Mk V in March 1943 and it took part in the Campaign of Tunisia , in the Campaign of Corsica , Italy so I think it is qualified for this Gb ..here is a link to a site (in french ) where you can find more information on the career of this pilot ..

http://cieldegloire.com/004_gauthier_g.php

Patrice

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's a lovely looking Spitfire Tony. 

It's a really attractive scheme with a nice splash of colour. 

I've always shied away from doing a Spitfire in anything other than British markings, but the Greek shark mouthed aircraft you displayed recently and now this one, may have just swayed me. 

Thank you for the inspiration. 

Hey no worries Chris,..... it is always nice to try something different,.... welcome to the dark side mate!! 

6 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Tony

This unit was reequipped with Spitfire Mk V in March 1943 and it took part in the Campaign of Tunisia , in the Campaign of Corsica , Italy so I think it is qualified for this Gb ..here is a link to a site (in french ) where you can find more information on the career of this pilot ..

http://cieldegloire.com/004_gauthier_g.php

Patrice

Thanks Patrice,....... much appreciated mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,.... I`m still plodding away and here is the Spitfire Mk.IXe with its first coat of Dark Green camo applied;

DSCF4669

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 4

Hiya Folks,

Got the painting all but done on this one;

DSCF4683_NEW

And gloss varnished it tonight ready for the decals soon,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Thanks Valkyrie,.. glad you like it mate.

Well, the decals are on,....... a combination of DK Decals (codes and rudder flash which had to be cropped and should have a narrower white stripe) fuselage roundels (Aeroclub) and kit markings;

DSCF4691

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5

Hiya Folks,

Done a bit more on this,.... I`ve added some Medium Sea Grey areas around the tail to better match what I can see in the reference photo,....plus I`ve also applied  a watercolour wash to highlight the panel lines;

DSCF4700

The spinner has been cleaned up and needs another coat of paint!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Tony

She looks great with the decals on 👍

Patrice

Thank you Patrice. 

• 1 month later...

Hiya Folks,

Just made it at the wire with this one,....... I`m calling the French Spitfire finished too! The aircraft flown by Capt. Gabriel Gauthier, CO of GC11/7. All brush painted as usual;

DSCF4869_NEWDSCF4871_NEWDSCF4866_NEW

DSCF4865_NEWDSCF4862_NEWDSCF4863_NEW

DSCF4858_NEW

DSCF4853_NEW

DSCF4857_NEW

DSCF4859_NEW

DSCF4850_NEW

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

Beautiful, got this boxing and all the others including multiple Royal class boxings in the stash but not built one boxing yet.But i think you have provided the inspiration to get cracking on them and they certainly look easier that my Amodel builds atm.

• Like 1