1/72nd Eduard Spitfire Mk.VIII,...USAAF & Mk.IXe French AF...BOTH FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

I did say that I had this one in the sidelines in case I had time,..... so I`ve made a start on it! 

This is the aircraft that I think I`ll be reproducing, JF470, HL-R of the 308th FS, 31st FG based at Fano, Italy between 1944-45,.... when the unit had re equipped from Spitfire`s to P-51D`s but had retained a few Spitfire`s as hacks, such as this aircraft.. Strangely for a Mk.VIII,... especially as it wore the high altitude scheme of Medium Sea Grey and PRU Blue was the fact that it had clipped wings. 

41699179085_9c63909e54_b.jpgSpitfire LFVIII USAAF 31FG308FS HL R JF470 Fano Italy 1944 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40793001030_7186f229a3_b.jpgtrhthrjj by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Now I took photos of the box lid and sprues,.... but my camera is playing up and they are not on the memory card! I only discovered this after I had started to pre paint the parts this morning and so re took them again,.. with paint in place!

41879107024_f62afb2f38_k.jpgDSCF4041 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42598515611_1303ea476e_k.jpgDSCF4040 by

Tony OToole, on Flickr

This is the option I`ll probably be going for;

42598514521_b12a93938c_k.jpgDSCF4042 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the cockpit finished, along with the wings with the walls of the wheel wells all in place;

41879105544_ed433cec62_k.jpgDSCF4044 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42598512991_226fb9ea2e_k.jpgDSCF4046 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The fuselage and wings assembled;

41879102514_c3202d2083_k.jpgDSCF4047 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And the wings in place;

42598511511_9bbc3aa1e8_k.jpgDSCF4049 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The model ha now been set aside for the glue to dry,.... along with another Eduard Mk.IX, but I`ve not decided whether this will wear an MTO scheme too,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve been sanding the model,....along with a Mk.IX that I`m building alongside it,....... I really don`t like the two part upper cowling,.... I might invest in some of the resin replacements in future builds;

42621484192_5ad453038e_k.jpgDSCF4054 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`ve since started to apply the Med. Sea Grey uppers to the Mk.VIII,.... photos later,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,

Med. Sea Grey on and the lower surfaces masked ready for the Polly Scale acrylic PRU Blue;

41782163325_d02d3ef20a_k.jpgDSCF4059 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41782163085_519dfbcd3c_k.jpgDSCF4060 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Tonight I have now finished the PRU Blue and applied a coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnish,..ready for the decals,... I`ll take some pics when I get some light in the morning,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

I get sidetracked with work for five horrible days and now come back to all these fantastic MTO builds! 

This is really a full time hobby isn't it Tony? What a phenominal effort you're putting in here. It must certainly be a GB record. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I get sidetracked with work for five horrible days and now come back to all these fantastic MTO builds! 

This is really a full time hobby isn't it Tony? What a phenominal effort you're putting in here. It must certainly be a GB record. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Haha,...... having a great morning modelling now while tapping my feet to Trooping the Colour in the sunshine,......doesn`t get better than this and makes you proud to be an Englishman!!  

Glad you are liking then Dave and cheers for the support mate,

Tony

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got the PRU Blue onto the undersides and applied the gloss varnish,.... ready for the decals. I`ve dug out an old Hasegawa sheet from the spares box which also includes the wing stripes,..... plus it has decals for the silver one that I would also like to build at a later date;

27826203847_6583fc796c_k.jpgDSCF4072 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,

For the Mk.IX that I`m building alongside this one,....I`ll probably go for this 72 Sqn aircraft based in Southern France and Corsica,.... I was going to use an old set of Frog decals,... but then remembered that it was also on the Royal boxing,..... so it was dug out of the stash and the decals nicked,....  I`ll be painting the overpainted rear Sky band in Dk. Green,..not red!;

42672846292_51d8fa8b9c.jpglarge_000000 (1)_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42721131551_7d7dded0b3_b.jpg14021492_1357582424256701_4925190360431791524_n by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Nice nice and nice, but what is wrong with the top of  cowling ....?  Eduard's spit is pretty nice one. I bought the same kit but I will go for an  Aussie one.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Nice nice and nice, but what is wrong with the top of  cowling ....?  Eduard's spit is pretty nice one. I bought the same kit but I will go for an  Aussie one.  

Thanks Franz,...... yes I like the Aussie ones myself,.....I have quite a few planned to join my 1/48th models! As for the upper cowling,..... by the time I have sanded mine to remove the seam lin, in every Eduard Spitfire that I have built, 1/48th or 1/72nd,..... all of the detail is lost! Such a shame they did not do a one piece part.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Been a bit quiet on this one but I have got most of the decals on now,....... I was going to use a set of wing stripes from a Hasegawa kit but they were quite brittle and did not fit the Eduard kit very well,..... so I elected to paint them on instead;

28074393647_53d52283ff_k.jpgDSCF4223 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I have also applied the Ocean Grey to my Mk.IX,...... ready for the Dark Green next;

42894521212_4c54f66f55_k.jpgDSCF4225 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edit,..... the lower Spit will not be finished in 72 Sqn markings now and like a dope I`ve added the cannons in the wrong place,.....it is a Mk.IXe so the cannons should be outboard! I have a good subject lined up,.....probably French,... but must do my homework properly this time!!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Tony

Very good job so far

Best regards

Patrice

Cheers Patrice,.... glad you like it,..... there is still a long way to go yet!

Lovely work Tony. These markings are an option in one of the AZ MkVIII boxings, whic I've always fancied doing but you've beaten me to it.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 1

Thanks Fellas`..... and sorry again Beard,..... I tend to keep choosing subjects that you want to do too,....... there is no reason for you not to go ahead and atill do your own mate.

The latest progress,.... matt varnish and a watercolour wash applied;

42973379241_302b2d98cb_k.jpgDSCF4328_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28104585447_e6f93cd85b_k.jpgDSCF4327_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

What a lovely scheme this is - all brought out with the feintest of pin washes to highlight the kit's excellent detail.

I want one of these as well!!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

As much as I enjoy seeing the P-51 in RAF markings, I think I also enjoy seeing the Spitfire in USAAF markings, such as this one, Tony. I suppose it's the interest of seeing them in different markings than what I'm used to.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,

Yes I do like USAAF Spitfire`s and have built a few now,..... with many more `in the pipeline' and I agree that it is probably because they are something different! The High Altitude Fighter scheme and USAAF markings is a combo that just had to be done!!

As for my Mk.IXe model,..... now that I`ve finally realised that the 72 Sqn aircraft actually appears to be a Mk. IXc,...... there is a French aircraft that I have liked ever since I came across a photo in a French book,.... it is Spitfire Mk. IXe, coded  8J*GG, flown by Capitaine Gabriel Gauthier, Commandant of GC II/7, which was part of No. 326 (Nice) Squadron..  The aircraft carries the “GG” code, which Gauthier carried on his D520.  The scheme is Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey,..... now this unit fought up from the South of France,..... but does it count as an MTO build?

Gauthier`s Spitfire appears on a recent DK Decals sheet although the roundels are incorrectly depicted as being RAF when they should be French,.... however I do have some roundels which would suffice! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve finally finished the Mk.VIII,...... although the pitot went missing en route to the porch to photograph the model!!

DSCF4473_NEWDSCF4487_NEWDSCF4476_NEWDSCF4484_NEWDSCF4478_NEWDSCF4485_NEWDSCF4483_NEWDSCF4479_NEWDSCF4481_NEWDSCF4480_NEW

So the Mk.IX is next and I have quite a nice scheme lined up!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Cheers Fella`s,....... I`m in the middle of painting the Mk.IX now.

All the best

Tony