1/72 Angel Interceptor - and finally... it's FINISHED

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to do a little bit more on the Interceptor earlier today, filling in a couple of panel lines on each side of the cockpit and scribing in new ones. I thinks that it looks better with the line from the nose continuing up to the canopy.

41490917750_f55770751d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42582113104_cf32d256ce_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also did some preparation work on the resin cockpit, separating the part from its pouring stubs. This didn't go quite as well as expected, managing to blow through the floor with the razor saw. Because of that I decided to remove the floor and replace it with some thin sheet plastic and then added some of the lost details with scraps of plastic and bits of stretched sprue.

41490844740_cc17674fba_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41490845740_0f6cdedffd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41490843720_59211939a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41490842650_1a7521709f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Now that my other GB commitments are out of the way, it's time to push on with the planned builds for this one. I added the resin cockpit this afternoon and though the fit is reasonable, there is a gap at the rear of the tub. I followed this by gluing the fuselage halves together and added the nose section before making a start on some seam clean up. You can see from the photos that there will be some filler required, particularly on the underside, and the inevitable reinstatement of the scribed panel lines.

41809427590_6cc4babfd6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

41809425960_214896ca4f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41809426840_9e3e6ca4cb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

The first task today was to fill the gap at the rear of the cockpit with some Glue-n-Glaze, I'll add some paint once I have completed the rest of the clean up work and then I can see it needs more filling. I then went over the panel lines before adding the wings, the upper joins are pretty good, whilst the lower surfaces have had more filler applied so that I can level things off for the big  A decal.

28747060827_57ab88c7b0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

28747062397_d167a61f9e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I do like that replacement resin cockpit, and of course having proper female pilots!

The cockpit is a nice improvement for this kit. I have had a test fit of Ms Pilot and she is a pretty tight fit, I think that I will have to do a bit of bending and trimming to squeeze her in.

• Like 3

I completed the underside clean up tonight, then added the tailplane, it's taking shape now. There is a bit of re-scribing to do, then I can start to tidy the cockpit up and prep the figure as well as adding a couple of other refinements like the cannon on the nose.

29769363478_f106a9f994_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

29769362948_9dbdf22243_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

This build keeps getting better and better!  

Is it going to get a stand to show it off?

Thanks a lot Tony. I'm not sure about a stand at the moment mate, I have got used to seeing it up on that paint pot. :winkgrin:

I did some work on the figure this afternoon. Figure painting is not a strong point for me, so be gentle with the comments, and stop that sniggering at the back there. That includes you Strangely-Brown. :D

41846242370_66996da8d6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I think that a wash over might help hide any ropey areas though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Its a tricky figure to paint! Just be careful about the fit of the cockpit canopy - its not tall enough for the 'real' thing so you may need to trim the bottom of the seat a bit to get the pilot to sit low enough to get the canopy on.

• Like 4

On 09/07/2018 at 17:17, Kallisti said:

Well there was a hole in the floor of the cockpit which is how the Angel pilots got lifted into the aircraft

da8abcda4b98513cbf3117cfcc7a2a74.jpg

Just looking at this picture:

1) possibly that bloke has one of the best jobs in the world?

2) they seem to have taken accuracy (well, sort of) very seriously.  When I was little and watching captain scarlet I doubt i'd have noticed the stenciling 😁

Wonder if these are still in existence?......

• Like 4

I took the advice of @Kallisti and removed some material from the bottom of the figure, in the end it was most of the seat. This enabled her to be positioned lower down in the cockpit and resulted in a better canopy fit. With the figure in situ it was time to fix this in place using Tamiya Extra Thin to hold it in position, unfortunately I had some glue creep at the front end but I am hoping that there won't be too much showing once the frame is painted in. There are a couple of slight gaps to sort out along the sides and then I can start on the prep for paint. 

I have also thinned down the nose leg cover and after this it was glued in position,

42977222964_b342de2012_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42977219724_0f2f1576f4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42977221494_337bc0f3ff_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

I was able to take advantage of some late evening sunshine 'up 'ere in't North West of England' by spraying some silver over canopy. Once that was dry I masked over the frame and applied some grey primer from a Halfords rattle can.. Tomorrow I'll check everything over and make any further corrections before hitting it with a coat of white primer.

43028959814_52576d8133_c.jpg0

by John L, on Flickr

43028958914_29acd09282_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Still loving that paint pot though. :winkgrin:

43028958034_3293fc7ca0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thats looking every inch the classic kit that it is John and all your improvements will lift this model to another level.

Cheers and well modelled... Dave.

• Like 3

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:26, Rabbit Leader said:

Thats looking every inch the classic kit that it is John and all your improvements will lift this model to another level.

Cheers and well modelled... Dave.

Thanks Dave.. It's not a bad kit and with some careful preparation of the mating surfaces, it goes together nicely. A few basic improvements lift it up a notch.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:43, Lawzer said:

I want one of those now.......👍

You know that you are going to get one. It might as well be sooner than later.:wicked:

I added the topcoat using some Halfords Gloss Appliance White and this has been wet sanded to remove any blemishes. Tonight I made a start on the detail painting by masking and painting the black on the nose.

43131608844_d2d1b8b7b1_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43131609294_57db86b470_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43131609624_5233921e9e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I made a start on the detail painting by masking and painting the black on the nose.

Lovely detail painting, John, and the canopy has turned out crystal clear. Are the three skids also getting the detail treatment before going on?

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Lovely detail painting, John, and the canopy has turned out crystal clear. Are the three skids also getting the detail treatment before going on?

The skids are still awaiting clean up before I start to work on them, but there isn't a lot of detail to see. although the painting of the red nose on wing skids could be fun, because the undersides are white. 

• Like 3