1/72 Angel Interceptor - and finally... it's FINISHED

I built this one back in the day and the decal sheet was nowhere near as comprehensive as that :lol: All you got were the main insignia, tail fin code, red stripe for the fuselage spine and I presume warning markings near the exhaust. The rest you had to paint including the big A :chef:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

I built this one back in the day and the decal sheet was nowhere near as comprehensive as that :lol: All you got were the main insignia, tail fin code, red stripe for the fuselage spine and I presume warning markings near the exhaust. The rest you had to paint including the big A :chef:

I don't remember there being any stencil data in the original kit. and if it was there then I certainly didn't put it on. There is still a raised outline on the underside to help with painting the big A, but little in the way of panel lines on the lower fuselage, I am thinking of wrapping some of the detail on the sides underneath. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

There is still a raised outline on the underside to help with painting the big A, but little in the way of panel lines on the lower fuselage, I am thinking of wrapping some of the detail on the sides underneath. 

...sounds like a nice plan John - when do we 'kick off' with what is likely to be a very popular build.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The RetrokiT upgrade to the Airfix AI is an essential.

If I recall correctly it was Derek Meddings that designed the AI, not GA.

Thomo.

Derek Meddings designed most of the vehicles for the puppet series.

Gerry Anderson was the producer and although he came up with the ideas for the series, left the design work to others. Sylvia did most of the costume design and character personalities. Lew Grade then ruined things by not selling Thunderbirds to the US Networks because of greed and then insisted on them coming up with new series that lasted just one season rather than building upon existing success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

...sounds like a nice plan John - when do we 'kick off' with what is likely to be a very popular build.

Here are some photos of the small amount of work so far. There's not a lot to see, just a bit of re-scribing and some test fitting of components to see what will be needed to try and improve the fit.

First up, a photo which shows the kits provenance.

42678403621_3427e68beb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

The re-scribed wing, I still have to scribe in the two circles, I am starting to wonder if I could sharpen some micro tubing and punch the detail in. I have also thinned the wing fence a little but there is some work to do there yet, and in the end I might replace those with some thin plastic card. 

42630019442_89b41f4e8f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The fuselage in this shot has had a rub over with a soft pencil to highlight the raised detail, and after a bit of fettling the upper wing root looks pretty good to me.

42630026122_9b7b2a9465_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thanks for the comments guys. I am afraid there won't be much progress made over the weekend, I'm hoping to get some paint on a couple of Wildcats and to also try and make some further progress on the EA-18G carrier launch for the Carriers Ahoy GB.

• Like 2

Having made good progress on the Wildcats, I thought that I would continue the panel line scribing on this one. I did some work on the flat area of the starboard fuselage half last night, whilst the plastic is soft it is not very easy to scribe and was slightly frustrating because I kept slipping offline.

This morning I had a look at the curved surfaces and took the decision to go over all of the remaining kit lines with a black Sharpie. Some of the lines seem to stop in odd places but these are generally hidden behind other parts, and I feel that others are not required because from a practical point the shape of the panel would be awkward to manufacture. Because of that I have gone over the fuselage again, highlighting areas that would benefit from either removal or addition of panel lines with a red Sharpie.  I'm still not too sure about the double lines which run over the top of the spine and, whilst I quite like the look, once again I feel those are unnecessary additions. Any advice/suggestions (clean ones please :winkgrin:) are welcome.

27962871777_30472f74e5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

28958590758_5fbe3e5615_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

A real piece of Airfix nostalgia here, good to see it coming together.

The add ons look especially good, the original was not exactly superdetailed out the box!

Here's one I did for a GB on another forum years back. It is of course the prototype plane, complete with the less than successful tail mounted cannon. Test pilots were terrified when testing it. The flash bang wallop over their heads when firing made them reach for the ejector handle, thinking the plane had been hit by something or other. Production planes had the cannon nose mounted of course. 

airfix_1389.jpg

• Like 6

On 16/06/2018 at 12:44, nimrod54 said:

Having made good progress on the Wildcats, I thought that I would continue the panel line scribing on this one. I did some work on the flat area of the starboard fuselage half last night, whilst the plastic is soft it is not very easy to scribe and was slightly frustrating because I kept slipping offline.

This morning I had a look at the curved surfaces and took the decision to go over all of the remaining kit lines with a black Sharpie. Some of the lines seem to stop in odd places but these are generally hidden behind other parts, and I feel that others are not required because from a practical point the shape of the panel would be awkward to manufacture. Because of that I have gone over the fuselage again, highlighting areas that would benefit from either removal or addition of panel lines with a red Sharpie.  I'm still not too sure about the double lines which run over the top of the spine and, whilst I quite like the look, once again I feel those are unnecessary additions. Any advice/suggestions (clean ones please :winkgrin:) are welcome.

You've made a more sucessfuly job at re-scribing than me ;)

I like the idea of marking the lines first - why didn't I ever think of that instead of having to squint and hold the kit at exactly the right angle for the light to show and existing line 🤔

You live and learn....

• Like 2

I have finished the fuselage re-scribe and it has had a quick coat of primer. There are one or two areas that will need filling and re-scribing but overall it looks OK. I've done some work on the tailplane, hollowing out the front edge and removing the snap-fit parts from the fin, the nose has also had an initial sand to give it a more pointed look, and I will remove the two small strakes, another snap fit addition, when I assemble the parts.

41065028580_3eff474a82_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41065029310_f0eeb12c47_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41065030560_e8889478bb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The port wing and tailplane are the next items scheduled for some scribing work, then I should be ready to start assembling parts. In the meantime, who can resist a quick test fit of the parts? Not me. :D

41065030000_9aa4758811_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

That re-scribe looks so good John, you’d almost think Airfix brought out a new tool for 2018. Looking forward to the rest of it. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

One of my favorite airfix kits,I found a Haynes manual on Captain Scarlet in smiths and turned to  the page on the angel interceptor,it said it was developed from the military viper.Now I wonder what that looked like. 

• Like 3

Bit off topic but was there once a kit of the interceptors from UFO?  I know dinky made a die cast one with the mahoosive torpedo.....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Bit off topic but was there once a kit of the interceptors from UFO?  I know dinky made a die cast one with the mahoosive torpedo.....

I had the die cast one - it was metallic green and the torpedo was 'spring loaded' - there was a little steel button on the side that you pressed to fire it.  They did a truck thingy too - where the roof flipped over to expose a missile launcher.  Now that would be handy in rush hour traffic on the way home from work - KERBOOM!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawzer said:

There is a Bandai kit of it from some time back which can be acquired from eBay for a sadly large amount

DSCF7859.JPG

DSCF7860.JPG

It is basically 1:48 scale - well I replaced the pretty basic cockpit with a scratch built one and a 1:48 PJ Prodcutions pilot:

DSCF7888.JPG

DSCF7887.JPG

But the decals are in a weird "Spanglish" sort of language so I had to print my own. Thankfully there is an Italian UFO fan site that has a decal image you can download and print!

DSCF7987.JPG

You can see my complete build thread from 2013 here

Sorry for the thread hijack, normal service will now be resumed!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh the memories come flooding back (of the tv series)!!!!!

Wonder if it's on you tube....... 😁

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I had the die cast one - it was metallic green and the torpedo was 'spring loaded' - there was a little steel button on the side that you pressed to fire it.  They did a truck thingy too - where the roof flipped over to expose a missile launcher.  Now that would be handy in rush hour traffic on the way home from work - KERBOOM!!!

Yup - that's the fella!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kallisti said:

There is a Bandai kit of it from some time back which can be acquired from eBay for a sadly large amount

DSCF7859.JPG

DSCF7860.JPG

It is basically 1:48 scale - well I replaced the pretty basic cockpit with a scratch built one and a 1:48 PJ Prodcutions pilot:

DSCF7888.JPG

DSCF7887.JPG

But the decals are in a weird "Spanglish" sort of language so I had to print my own. Thankfully there is an Italian UFO fan site that has a decal image you can download and print!

DSCF7987.JPG

You can see my complete build thread from 2013 here

Sorry for the thread hijack, normal service will now be resumed!

Very nice, I saw a 1/32 scratch built version on the tables at the Melbourne Model Expo a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1