1/72 Angel Interceptor - and finally... it's FINISHED

This kit was originally released in 1968, and I can remember making my way to the local bike shop to buy one just as soon as I had saved enough cash from singing in the choir at weddings. It would have been put together that afternoon, along with the obligatory thumb print, and doing circuits around the garden by tea time. It is listed in the 1980 catalogue as a Snap-n-Glue kit, now fast forward to 2011 and it makes another appearance, retaining the snap features. In a fit of nostalgia yours truly is once again spending some of his hard(ly) earned cash on this kit - only this time he adds a RetroKit detail set. Over the next seven years it has visited the 'to start next' pile several times, hence the main parts are off the sprues and some clean up has taken place.

I thought that this would be a fun third build for me, and I hope that this time around there will be an end result - minus the thumb print and test flight. :D

42546653482_6d7b8420b8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42546652162_a7fa783ae6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 20

Ooh look! 

They come with a big "A" on the decal sheet for the underside now - I watched my dad paint the one on mine in, ahem, 1973, by masking the letter outline with sellotape and then using a brushful of Humbrol paint to paint it in.

Happy days

IanJ

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Interesting looking aircraft... not familiar with Captain Scarlet here in the U.S.. I do wonder if anyone has ever tested that aircraft in a wind tunnel ? In a weird way i wonder if that design didn't influence future aircraft designers? It has some similarities to an E.F. Typhoon, Gripen, and other types. With the double delta and the canards. Not to mention the angled spine of the Typhoon. I know its a weird thing to say, but thats what i see.

Dennis

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting looking aircraft... not familiar with Captain Scarlet here in the U.S.. I do wonder if anyone has ever tested that aircraft in a wind tunnel ? In a weird way i wonder if that design didn't influence future aircraft designers? It has some similarities to an E.F. Typhoon, Gripen, and other types. With the double delta and the canards. Not to mention the angled spine of the Typhoon. I know its a weird thing to say, but thats what i see.

Dennis

Never mind Captain Scarlet - you need to get 'familiar' with the angels...

1d729c90fccf8565dfa224a67b590d9d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Now this will be good.

I really should have picked one up when they re-released this kit with new decals, however for some reason or not diid'nt.

Unless someone comes in with an SR-N1, this is my new favourite.... but I quite like the two Pups as well.

Cheers.. a watching Dave  

• Like 5

....This.. is.. the.. voice.. of.. the.. Mysterons.....We... know... you... can... hear.. us...., Earthmen...  Remember that? It still sends a shiver up my spine! Not even thinking about the Angels calms me down. Captain Black was the one to watch out for!

I built one of these (skid down, not much use without the front one) and joined the Spectrum Club or whatever. The 'contact' for the whole of Scotland was 'Captain Ochre' - I was a bit miffed we didn't get Captain Scarlet.

Build on!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never mind about the model

Come on John, let's have a few verses of a song / hymn we all recognise and we shall let you off trying to reach the high notes !

:wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5 June 2018 at 23:05, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis

Get onto youtube dennis - fair bet you'll get a gerry anderson fix on there! ;)

he and his wife were SO ahead of their time in many respects....look at the picture of the angel pilots....let alone back in the day women being pilots (all be it in a sci-fi tv program) but non "european" characters! Respect!  👍👍 

And @Ventora3300 yeah that captain black fella was a bad 'un and no denying! 

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3

Hi John,

I never thought you'd be one for sci fi modelling! The Angels mean nothing to me, as we still lived in caves when you guys were watching TV... But they sure look cute!

Building sci fi cannot hurt you, so go for it! 

Singing in a choir at wedding, he? For money, no less?! I did the same as a mass servant at weddings and baptisms, being a Papist and all that... I won't tell you what I did with the dough though.

This build will be interesting!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Never mind about the model

Come on John, let's have a few verses of a song / hymn we all recognise and we shall let you off trying to reach the high notes !

:wicked:

cheers Pat

I could have given you a rendition of 'Oh for the wings of a dove' back then Pat, but the high notes are way out of my range now, even with the pliers. What about a verse or two of 'Love divine' sung to that favourite tune of choirboys everywhere, Blindworm (Bleanwern). :D

13 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

I never thought you'd be one for sci fi modelling! The Angels mean nothing to me, as we still lived in caves when you guys were watching TV... But they sure look cute!

Building sci fi cannot hurt you, so go for it! 

Singing in a choir at wedding, he? For money, no less?! I did the same as a mass servant at weddings and baptisms, being a Papist and all that... I won't tell you what I did with the dough though.

This build will be interesting!

JR

Hi Jean

I have the odd dabble into the sci-fi world every now and then and have made models of X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, and Enterprise for nephews and nieces.

I did a bit of work on the model yesterday and, having decided to re-scribe the kit panel lines, I made a start on the upper surface of the starboard wing. Does anyone have a suggestion for re-scribing circles. I have a template with several sizes of holes, but when I have tried this in the past I have usually mucked it up because the pin/needle has dragged.

• Like 2

Glad to see you've got the Retro Kits resin cockpit which contains an actual female pilot figure! I built one of these a while back - its a ropey fit but can be built nicely with a bit of work. Watch out for the canopy as its not tall enough for the original and the resin pilot head can be a bit of a tight fit.

Also, remember to remove the extra "fins" on the nose piece as these were added during the conversion of the kit to a "snap fit" toy back in the 80s and are not present on the original model. There was a build of this kit in Airfix Magazine Monthly a few years back which forgot to remove them... oops!

I now have the large 1:24 scale resin kit from Kits for Cash to build at some point:

DSC_9190.JPG

Proper female pilot plus transparent helmet:

DSC_9194.JPG

Good luck with this, I have the popcorn :)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I could have given you a rendition of 'Oh for the wings of a dove' back then Pat, but the high notes are way out of my range now, even with the pliers. What about a verse or two of 'Love divine' sung to that favourite tune of choirboys everywhere, Blindworm (Bleanwern). :D

Or, the old choirboy classic "we 3 kings"

We 3 kings of Orient are ( Leyton Orient obviously) 

1 in a taxi, 1 in a car

1 on a scooter, beebing his hooter

smoking a big cigar 

Oh star of wonder......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I did a bit of work on the model yesterday and, having decided to re-scribe the kit panel lines, I made a start on the upper surface of the starboard wing. Does anyone have a suggestion for re-scribing circles. I have a template with several sizes of holes, but when I have tried this in the past I have usually mucked it up because the pin/needle has dragged.

Hi John, 

I feel warm all over after reading that you have some problems with small circular templates! I am in the same predicament: some circles are perfect, others are of a dubious elipsoidal shape... If you find a good alternative, I am buyer!

JR

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Get onto youtube dennis - fair bet you'll get a gerry anderson fix on there! ;)

he and his wife were SO ahead of their time in many respects....look at the picture of the angel pilots....let alone back in the day women being pilots (all be it in a sci-fi tv program) but non "european" characters! Respect!  👍👍 

And @Ventora3300 yeah that captain black fella was a bad 'un and no denying! 

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Gerry Anderson invented the Fenesteon

http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/capscarlet.html

No prizes for guessing the Rotodyne rip

off! 

Trevor

Well said LAWZER and MAX or is it Trevor... - Gerry Anderson and co - way ahead of their time and even the folk in 'the colonies' will know Thunderbirds - but all their other stuff is a 'delight yet to discovered' - Well done Mr and Mrs Anderson...  why can't I remember her first name - SYLIVIA - I think that's it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi John, 

I feel warm all over after reading that you have some problems with small circular templates! I am in the same predicament: some circles are perfect, others are of a dubious elipsoidal shape... If you find a good alternative, I am buyer!

JR

Plus 1 to that! 👍

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Well said LAWZER and MAX or is it Trevor... - Gerry Anderson and co - way ahead of their time and even the folk in 'the colonies' will know Thunderbirds - but all their other stuff is a 'delight yet to discovered' - Well done Mr and Mrs Anderson...  why can't I remember her first name - SYLIVIA - I think that's it...

Yes indeedy - Sylvia....

totally off topic but when i was about 10 for some unkonow reason i developed an obsession with the titanic (mrs lawzer said i was on it in a past life....) and i ALWAYS dreamed of them making a thunderbirds episode where they raised it....crowd funding? 😆

sorry - TOTALLY of topic 😁

• Haha 3

Past lives eh - there is thread to be started there and maybe psychoanalyzed too...

...did I ever tell you about - oh maybe another time... :lol:

• Haha 2