What is this, please?

Vinnie

Moisture trap... no question mark :)

The little Presta valve is to let you expel any accumulated moisture, but as most regulators also come with a moisture trap fitted, this is probably overkill for all but the most humid environments :)

Just now, Mike said:

Moisture trap... no question mark :)

The little Presta valve is to let you expel any accumulated moisture, but as most regulators also come with a moisture trap fitted, this is probably overkill for all but the most humid environments :)

Thanks, Mike. I'll put it back in the box then.

22 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks, Mike. I'll put it back in the box then.

Just remember to check your "big boy" moisture trap regularly and you'll be fine, unless Mansfield isn't the one in the UK and you live in the tropical rainforest somewhere? :hmmm:

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Mine is always dry, but it never hurts to have the trap.

Thanks, Jamie. 

27 minutes ago, Robbyrockett said:

Some people like them on there just for the fact that it makes sort of a pistol grip for you.

Thank you, RR. I may fit it to see if it is more comfortable to use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have it fitted in addition to the one on the compressor but I only had a few times where something really accumulated in it. Theoretically, moisture can also develop in the hose connecting to your brush so if it helps stopping the water spit once, it was useful already.

At the same time, it gives me a better hold on the brush and more stability when the brush is on the holder while not in use.

I'd put it on the brush even if it seems useless. Give it a try and see if it makes any difference to you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use it to on my airbrush. Had a moisture trap at the exit of my compressor, but due to having to spraypaint in the garage, a lot of moisture developed in my connection between the compressor and the AB, especially in the longer sessions... so this is gold for such events...

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Alabama, it's extremely humid. So having one of these is an absolute must. I accumulated a good bit of moisture in just the 20 minutes I used my airbrush. 

On 6/15/2018 at 2:50 PM, armored76 said:

I have it fitted in addition to the one on the compressor but I only had a few times where something really accumulated in it. Theoretically, moisture can also develop in the hose connecting to your brush so if it helps stopping the water spit once, it was useful already.

At the same time, it gives me a better hold on the brush and more stability when the brush is on the holder while not in use.

I'd put it on the brush even if it seems useless. Give it a try and see if it makes any difference to you.

Thanks. I've gone with consensus and fitted it for now.

4 hours ago, GRIM REAPER said:

Here in Alabama, it's extremely humid. So having one of these is an absolute must. I accumulated a good bit of moisture in just the 20 minutes I used my airbrush. 

Wow, that sounds like quite an uncomfortable climate.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks. I've gone with consensus and fitted it for now.

It shouldn't have any negative impact that I can think of, so what's the worst that can happen? Your air might get a teeny-weeny bit drier! :frantic:

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wow, that sounds like quite an uncomfortable climate.

Yeah, it's around 100% right now. And the heat index is into the 100's. I go outside and just instantly start sweating. The air feels like it is suffocating you.

2 hours ago, GRIM REAPER said:

Yeah, it's around 100% right now. And the heat index is into the 100's. I go outside and just instantly start sweating. The air feels like it is suffocating you.

I vaguely remember Belize being like that. You couldn't tell you were breathing. 

18 hours ago, Robbyrockett said:

One other caveat. If you have an inline regulator or mac valve put it after the trap. otherwise the trap acts a little tank and you get a burst of air at higher pressure when you first press the trigger.

Thanks, Robby. I didn't know that. Might explain why I occasionally get a splutter of paint on the first squeeze.

• Like 1