1955 BMW 507 Coupé

Hi,

Looking back the 507 could be regarded as BMW's answer to the 300 SL: equally spectacular, equally expensive, equally rare.

Most contemporaries in the fifties, however, thought that the 507 was no real match to the 300 SL. Though a fast car in those days it was technically rather simple, lacked power, and BMW's image was poor by comparison. Therefore the 507 was no sales success, only 252 vehicles were built.

Nevertheless some of the rich and famous preferred the 507. Elvis Presley e. g. drove a 507 during his military service in Germany. He took it to America where it was found a few years ago. It was shipped back to Bavaria for restauration. A final sales price of two million Euro was expected.

My old instruction sheet says that Revell released the kit in 1992. After more than 20 years I still remember that there were no major issues except the poor fit of the hardtop. Nevertheless, if there should be any reissue of the 507, make sure that it can be built as a coupe. IMO the roadster is only half as beautiful.

comp_50700168-vi.jpg
comp_50700268-vi.jpg
comp_50700368-vi.jpg
comp_50700468-vi.jpg
comp_50700568-vi.jpg
comp_50700668-vi.jpg
comp_50700768-vi.jpg

• Like 15

I almost didn't have to look at this to know it would be good once I saw your name on the header. And there is no doubt it's another triumph.

But I do have to disagree with you on one thing - I think the cabriolet/roadster is much prettier😉