Tired Ol' Defiant NF (1/72)

Picked up this kit a few months ago, figured I'd use it to try out some new techniques and that kind of thing. Quite a nice kit for the scale, my only complaint would be the flashing that was rather extreme on certain sprues. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And this is the photo I was basing it off. 

chipped.jpg

Edited by CzarPeppers
  • Like 27

8 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Looks great! What did you use for the chipping? Hairspray/chipping fluid?

I used hairspray, first time I had done chipping on this kind of scale. 

Much appreciated everyone. 

I didn't take many photos of this one while I was building it. But I did take these before I did the final layer of hairspray before the final Tamiya NATO black coat that I thought might give a bit of insight for how the layers of paint were done for the chipping in case anyone were interested. 

IMG_20180506_205724.jpg

IMG_20180506_205731.jpg

IMG_20180506_205737.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very interested. First off...some basic questions:

1) What kind/brand of hairspray did you use? rattle can or pump?

2) How did you apply it?  I assume the 'spray' might cover a too wide area.  Did you brush it on with a hairy brush to be more targeted?

3) What tool did you use to remove the paint on top of the spray once you were ready to do so?

Thanks so much!

45 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am very interested. First off...some basic questions:

1) What kind/brand of hairspray did you use? rattle can or pump?

2) How did you apply it?  I assume the 'spray' might cover a too wide area.  Did you brush it on with a hairy brush to be more targeted?

3) What tool did you use to remove the paint on top of the spray once you were ready to do so?

Thanks so much!

The hairspray I used was this stuff, which does a very fine mist out of the bottle. 

https://www.londondrugs.com/tresemme-tres-two-ultra-fine-mist-hair-spray---311g/L0630343.html?cgid=healthbeauty-haircare-hairspraygelwax

That's a Canadian store, but I'm sure most big chain stores would carry it. I just grabbed whatever was cheap and had a fine mist nozzle that didn't have any scents or anything extra that may cause unforeseen issues. 

I did apply it directly out of the bottle, I did two quick coats of it holding the bottle about a foot and a half away from the model doing one or two quick passes. Spray area wasn't a problem since I was spraying the whole model, however in the future I may just do one coat because I found it went on a bit thick. But if you don't mind having the paint chip off in larger bits then the two coats would probably work just fine. 

One problem I ran into was with the roundels, which I had airbrushed rather than using the decals (same with the tail markings). I must have used too much hairspray because I found when I was trying to chip away at one of them the whole roundel began moving around like it was a decal, so I had to be extremely careful.  In the future, for stuff like that where I only want to apply hairspray on a specific area I think I would rather put the hairspray in my airbrush and do it that way. I think the same brand makes a similar hairspray that comes in a spritzer bottle rather than compressed air, because trying to spray a bit of the stuff from a compressed air can into an airbrush is surprisingly tricky... and messy.

For removing the paint I just used a paint brush with coarse hair and dabbed at the paint where I wanted finer scratching and brushed where I wanted to take off larger amounts. For scratching the leading edge of the wings I used a toothbrush, and occasionally in areas where I only wanted some very light scratching I just used a regular paint brush. I would always wet the surface quite liberally and wait a few minutes to let it soak through to the hairspray before I began to remove the layer of paint. 

The whole process for this one was Tamiya black, Vallejo metal colour aluminium, hairspray, RAF day camo, chipping, clear coat, hairspray, Tam NATO black, chipping, clear coat. I also used that salt technique with an airbrushed filter to break up the black a little more. Only very subtly though. 

Edited by CzarPeppers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent model and thanks for the painting/finishing how-to.

The B&W photograph is very evocative and I love looking at it, along with your model.

Looks like the plane had a rather punishing service life - or maybe the finish was very hastily applied (i.e., poorly).

:goodjob:

1 minute ago, kapam said:

Excellent model and thanks for the painting/finishing how-to.

The B&W photograph is very evocative and I love looking at it, along with your model.

Looks like the plane had a rather punishing service life - or maybe the finish was very hastily applied (i.e., poorly).

:goodjob:

Yeah I got the impression that the black was just slapped over the original day camo, since many of them were switched over to night fighter work after not performing very well for their original purpose. So that's why I did the day camo underneath to show through the scratching. I'm not 100% sure that's what they actually did, but even though I'm quite anal about making my models accurate, sometimes I just have to do something for that cool factor ;) 

Very nice indeed. You've nailed that flakey look!

I seem to remember there were two types of black paints used on Defiants. A rough sooty black that wore off quickly (as in this case) and a shinier version that was more hard wearing. And, I'm assuming factory applied. 

Edited by IanC

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Very nice indeed. You've nailed that flakey look!

I seem to remember there were two types of black paints used on Defiants. A rough sooty black that wore off quickly (as in this case) and a shinier version that was more hard wearing. And, I'm assuming factory applied. 

Well! Considering I used the more greyish NATO black that looks rather sooty it all works out. Plus with the medium grey wash and dark grey salt filter (if that's what that's actually called).