Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank ++FINISHED++

I was drawn to this kit the first time I saw it but never actually got round to buying one. Time to put that right I think. I nearly got an original blister pack, but the seller lost it, so I have a later re-issue. Same plastic though, and very nice by all accounts. Kingkit say mine was despatched this morning so it will be a couple of days before there are photos, much less any action to report. In the meantime here is a little light reading for your edification and delight:

From ATF:

01319-4/01319/61319-6/A01319
Type 97 Chi-Ha
1/76 scale.
Available as 01319-4 from 1974 to 1979.
Included in Guadalcanal Japanese Defence (09658-0) in 1974.
Sold in Type 5 box as 61319-6 probably from 1976 to 1979, but not listed in catalogues or on price lists.
Not listed in 11th Edition (1974) catalogue.
Reissued as 01319 from 1998 (due April) to 2003.
Listed as A01319 in 2011 catalogue but not issued.
Reissued as A01319 from 2012 to 2014.

Britmodeller's review: Britmodeller Review

And a little background: Wiki

Andy

Big kid in a small sweetshop

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 7

Nice!

I must admit other than my usual 1/48 wingy things I am partial to a small scale tank!

Look forward to see the progress! 👍

• Like 1

This little tank looks quite good from the BM review there @Foxbat

We will all look forward to seeing it being built once the kind postie safely delivers the contents. 

The camo pattern looks quite interesting - all the best with that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And we're off.

First up, the obligatory box shot. Sorry it's a modern boxing, not the original blister pack:

X4rNujt.jpg

Followed by the sprues. There's some lovely detail on there that belies the age of the kit.  No noticeable flash either, which is nice:

byBJFjM.jpg

For maximum authenticity, I'm building on the dining table, with a place mat standing in for my usual cutting mat:

JhA84ab.jpg

Andy

Having fun :) 

• Like 8

Progress.

Little bit of tidying needed that shows in the picture, less so in real life. The turret isn't attached, it's there while it cures to keep everything aligned - there are no positive locating points and I'd hate to bodge it like I would have done back in the day.

vWcLIRl.jpg

Andy

• Like 9

You know that feeling when you notice a part is missing from the sprue, so you search  the table, rattle the box then get on your hands and knees and scour the carpet all to no avail. You resign yourself to having fed the carpet monster and start planning on how to work round the missing bit (in this case a return roller) THEN you see where it is and give yourself an almighty slap - because you've already attached it to the model, but out of sequence to make the build easier.

That's the kind of thing I would NEVER do. Ahem <shuffles away whistling nervously> :D 

Andy

Easily confused

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

All of sudden it was coming together - all the wheels were on, so I attached the side walls to the upper hull. You can nearly see the 1974 next to the (C) on the lower hull plate. Look at those wheels though - bogies everywhere, like a schoolboy's cuff :o 

ZRnobDP.jpg 

While my back was turned waiting for the hull sides to cure, the rest of the kit pretty much assembled itself: 

5NXprQA.jpg

lLUCkpu.jpg

Going to have to have another go at fixing the radio aerial. It looks fine if you use my glasses, but the camera doesn't lie :( 

Actually, I'm feeling a bit of a fraud. My first picture showed a fist full of tools but I've only used half of them so far - no sanding or filler has been necessary to this point. Pretty impressive for a 44 year old mould. 

I'll sort out the engine covers then that's where I'm going to have to leave it for now. Off on holiday for a few days tomorrow. The waving of hairy sticks will commence when I get back.

Andy

• Like 10

A bit better (but still not perfect), and I've got the last couple of pieces on - the hinged covers over the side engine grills that form part of the flat deck at the back of the hull. Going to make painting the louvres in there interesting, but I doubt anyone will be able to see enough to question it. 

VVugmL7.jpg

Andy

• Like 10

My modelling 'first love' was Airfix armour, although I'd moved on to other things by the time this one was released.  So I'm enjoying seeing this one for the first time.

Cliff

• Like 1

Nice catching up on all these updates - all in one day that is. I’ve never build an Airfix tank, however your line about ‘turning your back and it built itself’ did appeal to my senses. How does one acquire such magical skills?? 

Enjoy the holiday and look forward to the next stage. You never know it might paint itself as well by the time you come back!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice catching up on all these updates - all in one day that is. I’ve never build an Airfix tank, however your line about ‘turning your back and it built itself’ did appeal to my senses. How does one acquire such magical skills?? 

Enjoy the holiday and look forward to the next stage. You never know if might paint itself as well by the time you come back!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Maybe I'm being over generous, but I think Airfix were very clever back in the day - it's simplicity itself to just throw this together (as I've shown) so the pocket money market can make and play in a day. The fit and finish is very sloppy in places though but to compensate some of the detail is lovely so there's the basis of a great model if you're prepared and able to put the time and effort in. Something for everyone, which takes some nous at the design stage.

Apart from the tracks though, which are another matter entirely; they're rubber bands which need two pins a fraction of a millimetre high to go through two holes invisible to the naked eye. The tops of the pins then have to be squashed down with a hot poker or similar. Think micro-surgery meets riveting :o At least these tracks are long enough for the ends to meet, I remember the StuG III ones being about half an inch short, so i dug a hole in the glacis and the model became instant wargames scenery.

Had a bit of a moment looking for paint. The base colour is Light Olive (H86). I mainly use Vallejo acrylics and they don't list a match. Going by eye though Game Colour 31 is close enough so my little tank is starting it's life with a nice coat of Goblin Green. I've introduced them and left them together on the bench. I'll see how they're getting on when I get back.

Andy

• Like 6

Looking good! 👍

Any plans for the ahem "tracks" - i did a wee something or other german tank earlier this year and kit kit was great other than the horrible rubber moulded tracks.... :(

I remember using the heated end of a screwdriver to melt the rubber 'pins'...

I think these Airfix kits, regardless of scale or type, are wonderful.  They can be built OOB or embellished as much as one wants.  This is good designing.

• Like 2

Progress!! As the Gadarene Swine said, "Anywhere, so long as it be forward". I have discovered two things this week; first, 12 year old white primer can go quite solid in the bottle. Second, equally aged pale green can go the opposite way and take on the consistency of diluted water.

No matter, I struggled manfully and managed to apply some of both to the model. It looks as rough as just now, but I have the basis for some interesting camo. Add in a shed load of 'mud' and it'll be fine, especially if I take the next pics outside. At night. In the coalshed :D 

UPgiXji.jpg

Hmmm, just noticed on posting this that I have a second break in the radio aerial. It will have to stay there for tonight. Tired hands and glue do not make happy partners.

Andy

Back off his holibobs

Edited by Foxbat
Spill chucker malfunction
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Paint is happening and I have added a new tool to the armoury. Pics to follow after the weekend. I'm off out to play in the sun :) 

Andy

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

There has been  a couple of week's hiatus while the man cave was being used for storage and there were a dozen boxes between door and bench. They've gone to a new home this afternoon so I was straight back in there.

It was CliffB up there somewhere who put me on the right... track :D Prior to his post I'd never even heard of a Bambi stapler, but now I are the proud owner of one and I've wielded it in anger. If you use a bit of Tamiya tape to hold the two ends of the track roughly where you want them, you can then staple them together, and voila, Robert's your dad's sister's significant other!!

I was never happy with the shade of light green I used. Or any of the alternatives in the rack. I've also bought the Tamiya 1/35 version of this tank, so I took my cue from the box art (the kit pre-dates Tamiya's own paint range so the just give colour names rather than references to their own  range) and went with  a nice shade of buff to replace the green. I've slapped an ink wash on too, just for giggles.

Blowing the picture up shows everything currently looks a mess, but it's now the right shade of mess so I can go about tidying up and detail painting. 

scsK1SI.jpg

Andy

Back on it.

• Like 5

I'm calling this little fella done. Final paint scheme represents a late war variant, when the yellow used to stripe the original camo became the overall base colour instead of khaki. It's a bit rough at full photo size, but looks fine one the shelf with my other braille scale (and smaller) armour.

If you squint, it's possible to see three quarters of all the markings in this photo.

4t6wXtg.jpg

Time for a wingy thing. I like them.

Andy

• Like 4

Really must get this in the Gallery. That's tonight's job. Then a couple of Spits to progress for the Brits Abroad GB. Then I can think of Dinah. 

Andy

Busy busy.

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2