Spitfire I, L-Z--I, 421 (Reconnaissance) Flight, Airfix 1/72

You can not have too many Spitfires! OK, ok, I can not have too many Spitfires ...

I have been looking for an excuse to build this one for some time, it is a bit more personal to me than most of my builds ...

I used to fly online in the IL2 simulator, primarily allied types, and frequently in Spitfires.  LO-P is significant to me, because that was the code usually carried on my fuselage.

The box, and source of decals

RAF-100-Spitfire-002.jpg

The contents of the box (canopy still in its plastic bag).  The Airfix decals will be used to source stencils &c. 

RAF-100-Spitfire-000.jpg

And the colour scheme

RAF-100-Spitfire-001.jpg

• Like 7

Nice one Robert.

These kits build up very nicely so all the best for another Classic Spitfire to add to the collection.

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

I've started work on the cockpit ...

RAF-100-Spitfire-005.jpg

The pilot's seat, floor and instrument panel (and joy-stick) were assembled and glued - The photo shows them dry fitted to the port fuselage half.

They were then allowed to set in the (dry fitted) fuselage to encourage all the parts to work happily with each other further down the line.   The engineering tolerances here are such that I can foresee problems if I don't take care at this stage.

One observation about this kit that may help others

When dry fitting the fuselage halves, I found the location pins stiff or difficult to locate in their holes.

I eased this by using a small drill to ream out the location holes.  While this did ease fitting, I noticed that the fuselage halves were out of alignment (IIRC, the starboard half was low, but I may be mistaken).

Opening up the holes a bit more allows the fuselage halves to sit more comfortably with each other.

The hope is that these actions will avoid the worst of the wing fit problems I've seen with other builds of this kit - we'll see.

• Like 5

Thanks Steve, it is a nice little kit, if 'better' engineered than some of  their earlier versions.

This is three sessions of work spread over a few hours

Fuselage is now closed up ...

RAF-100-Spitfire-006.jpg

Maybe a bit too much info there.  The seat straps are a little thick, but I suspect they wont be that much of an issue to me when it is complete.

Wings are glued

RAF-100-Spitfire-007.jpg

That blue in the wheel wells isn't a bad match to the colour printed by Xtradecal.

Which is a pity, because neither is anything like BS 381 No 1 (or 101?) Sky Blue (a greenish hue to my eye) which Xtradecal suggest it ought to be.

And wings glued

RAF-100-Spitfire-008.jpg

The propellor and canopy are dry fitted here, I just wanted an idea of what the thing would look like when finished.

The tollerences are close enough that I may leave these two components dry fitted anyway - it's one way to avoid glue fumes fogging the glazing ...

• Like 4

I agree with the canopy fit Robert. I gave my two a careful sand along the inside curvature of the windscreen. They are an excellent fit without the aid of glue, however I still might bed mine down with a smidge of PVA. Your kit is looking good which is a tribute to both your skills and a good platform of a model to start with. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, @Rabbit Leader

This time around, when fitting the canopy, I found that I was trimming the front of the cockpit opening/rear of the cowl (or oil tank). above the instrument panel.

Theres a straight tab, sort of like a spade, under the windscreen that wedges in behind the cowl / oil tank - but it is a tight, really tight, fit.  I'm sure in the past I've removed the tab rather than tidy up the fuselage at that point.

I don't know, in the past we used to wonder about the working relationship between kit designers and their tool or pattern makers.  Now it's clearences generated by CAD software ...

• 1 month later...

A month since I last posted.  It's been hectic IRL, having to move out of my old work place at very little notice, then finding a new one surprisingly quickly.

Back to modelling this morning, and I made the not so clever move of dropping my airbrush while cleaning it :(  - so this will be finished using a hairy stick.

RAF-100-Spitfire-009.jpg

• Like 1

Good progress, sorry to hear about the airbrush incident but I think the brush is nice to go back to now and then, keep the skills honed. Is this the same kit as the one I’m doing? The free newspaper one? I’m really impressed with Airfix stuff at the moment and looking forward to the next stage of yours

I loved Il 2 and enjoyed being in the FW190, love the idea of building the aircraft from that but sadly traded it in so no idea what the codes were for them

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Is this the same kit as the one I’m doing? The free newspaper one? I’m really impressed with Airfix stuff at the moment and looking forward to the next stage of yours

I loved Il 2 and enjoyed being in the FW190, love the idea of building the aircraft from that but sadly traded it in so no idea what the codes were for them

I think it is the same kit @Valkyrie, the plastic looks similar - and yes, Airfix have some good kits now they are using CAD in the development.

The Fw190 was good, I flew it occasionally in IL2 racing (wish I could find my skins for that!), though the late La5 and La7s were better racers.

• Like 1

Umm, er, it's not LO-P anymore.

I very carefully painted the wrong camouflage, an 'A' scheme (I think) when I needed a 'B' - basically I was looking at the wrong image on the decal instructions 😟

So, a quick scratch around, and after applying decals ... I have this:

RAF-100-Spitfire-011.jpg

RAF-100-Spitfire-012.jpg

RAF-100-Spitfire-013.jpg

That wants a second coat of gloss, and a few of matt, then I'm into fine details - undercarriage, arial &c. 

I hope to finish this tomorrow (hope).

Nice work.

I love the Airfix Spitfire and like 421 Flight who became 91 Squadron, were based at RAF Hawkinge (which isn't far from me) for several years and flew Spitfires (including the XII and 21) untill the end of the war.

• Like 1

OK, I'm going to call this finished ... (whew! it's unusual for me to complete a GB in time)

RAF-100-Spitfire-017.jpg

Varnished, with a little pin wash to highlight control surfaces and key panels.  More photos in the gallery.

• Like 3