Spitfire Mk1 - 1/72 scale 01065-0

Hi all, 

Courtesy of the "Battle of Britain Airfield Set" A50015 - I now have a number of "Classic" kits to build.

42505383652_ccb2e55776_c_d.jpg

This is the first...

41655771135_4785aa9966_c_d.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire Ia - 1/72 scale.
Listed as 01065-0 in 15th Edition (1978) catalogue and on 1978 1st Edition Price List as NEW - AVAILABLE LATER, but not issued.
Available as 01065-0 from 1979 to 1980 etc

Although I'm a little bit confused as the entry on the ATF page shows the same kit in a mid 70's blister pack.

Not many parts to this and it took less than an hour to get to this stage.

41846229244_e04940ccbf_c_d.jpg

Fit's not great - Possibly a legacy of it being converted to a snap fit at some point?

More as it happens

IanJ

• Like 8

Looks nice Ian - I did the newer tool 1/72 version a few months back.

She is a beautiful bird - no matter how bad the fit - I'm sure you will do her proud.

• Thanks 1

It's taken a bit of a wrestle to get this to sit right...

42592380122_f5ff7871e0_c_d.jpg

The wing roots needed a bit of trimming to get the fuselage to sit correctly but the basic airframe is all done now.

Now debating, to keep in the spirit of the build, whether to brush paint it in Humbrol enamels - Assuming that mine haven't dried up in their tins. 

IanJ

• Like 7

Shape-wise, I'm sure you know that this kit is still considered to be extremely accurate. 

I'm a little baffled by the fact that the new tool Spitfire has quite tiny wheels in comparison to this 1979 kit, so not sure which one is correct. Your kit is coming along nicely and quite quickly and its always nice to see this kit still built almost 40 years on. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/06/2018 at 13:40, Bonhoff said:

Ready for paint...

IanJ

Ian, any chance of this little beauty being 'blitzed' to the finish line? (I 've been having a look at your tank builds in the 'Blitzbuild 2018' GB and admiring your painting skills). We are in the last weeks now of this GB. Cheers Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Painting commenced with primer, preshade and then the underside being painted in Tamiya "Sky," which was then masked out and Gunze "Dark Earth" applied approximately to the upper surfaces.

43185061900_7259f9fbc0_c_d.jpg

The Dark Earth was then masked out and Tamiya "RAF Green" airbrushed over - waìt 10 minutes and remove masking.

44108110125_70933ae66b_c_d.jpg

Ta Dah! Little bit of touching up to do then gloss coat needed.

Hoping to get it completed by next weekend although I've just discovered the GB has been extended again, would like to keep the momentum going now.

IanJ

• Like 4

Sand and Spinich - just how a Spit should look in my book! That’s looking very nice Ian and I agree it’s best to strike while the irons hot so aim for the original (extended) date then have a week to spare should the modelling demons make an unwelcome appearance. 

Cheers..Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get round to completing the build logs at lunchtime - This being the last to post in the gallery malarky is getting to be too regular an occurrence...

IanJ

• Like 1

Decals and final fitting out - 

With somewhat sort notice I had been "volunteered" by my dad to help with his running of an 009 model railway at a localish show for the weekend, armed with my travelling toolbox I set to on the Spit at the show to try and get it over the line.

44406158615_24c4e59a77_c_d.jpg

There weren't many decals with this one, given its origins as part of a gift set I didn't expect too many and it seemed appropriate, as I certainly don't recall having to apply more than the basics back in the 70's - No walkway and stencil markings back then.

The biggest problem were the fuselage roundels, as they were so enormous they wouldn't conform to the surface, what with having to go in 4 different directions at once -  Copious washings of Micro-Sol were needed and I still don't think they're stuck at the bottom to the wing roots.

Propellor spinner painted yellow as per the instructions, paint the tyres, exhausts in Humbrol Rust with a Citadel brown wash and gun ports given the little square patches in red and we were done...

30383842117_39dcdf3be7_c_d.jpg

43508467330_a03b90c087_c_d.jpg

An enjoyable build - Thanks for popping by

IanJ

• Like 4