Airfix 1/600 HMS Tiger and HMS Daring "HMS Daring Complete"

And if I get time before the main event I will pop these two in and they are both listed in my 1976 catalogue so if I get time I will get full spure shots up later41841006154_b855b97bf6_c.jpg41841006184_65bb9aea10_c.jpg41841006244_25b96ff6fd_c.jpg

Edited by peterairfix
  • Like 6

Good luck with this one - 'back in the day' my Grandad had HMS Hood in the display cabinet in the 'parlour'.  The display cabinet was really for all of granma's 'best china' - so HMS Hood must have been 'very special' if she let him put it there.

• Like 2

I'd love to have a go at one of these but having built TIGER a few years back as built, the next one from that hull is HMS BLAKE as a helicopter cruiser and there's no way I can do that in 3 months!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'd love to have a go at one of these but having built TIGER a few years back as built, the next one from that hull is HMS BLAKE as a helicopter cruiser and there's no way I can do that in 3 months!

As mrs doyle would say, ah go on go on go on....😁

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

As built these were good looking ships but the helicopter conversion was not pretty. 

I used to have one as a bath toy when i were a lad. It even had the decks painted green. I remember  it fought HMS Hood every Sunday night. 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Colin W said:

As built these were good looking ships but the helicopter conversion was not pretty. 

I used to have one as a bath toy when i were a lad. It even had the decks painted green. I remember  it fought HMS Hood every Sunday night. 

Colin 

Did you win?  (sorry I couldn't resist.... ;) )...

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Colin W said:

I have to disagree on that.  I think I first saw BLAKE or TIGER as a shipbuilder's model in our local Navy careers office in the mid 1970s and remember thinking then that they looked very purposeful, much more aggressive than the original design.  A couple of years later I went to Portsmouth Navy Days and one of them was there and open to visitors - unfortunately the queues were horrendous and it was a choice of queue for one ship or visit five of six others.  I chose the latter which with hindsight was a mistake because they were withdrawn from service just as I joined.  That huge hangar/flight deck area is just so impressive.  Must have been an utter swine to put alongside though with any sort of beam wind and no tugs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have absolutely zero interest in ships, but for some reason HMS Daring was one of the first models I ever built, possibly even the very first. I think I may have just wanted something differant to what my Dad had built! 

Following along with nostalgia!

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This isn't going to matter if you are doing HMS Tiger in a seascape, but if you build it full hull note that whereas the real ship had four shafts and screws, the Airfix kit only has two. Not sure how Airfix messed this up; the FROG kit does have 4, but it is in an odd scale (1/415 - obviously they sized the hull to the box).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

How did the seascape turn out? I'm interested to see if/what you used on the white polystyrene in the last pics.

It's still sat on the shelf as I am going to try some cheap clear silicon sealant from Poundland as I work there but I keep forgetting to get some

When I leave work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2018 at 19:50, peterairfix said:

It's still sat on the shelf as I am going to try some cheap clear silicon sealant from Poundland as I work there but I keep forgetting to get some

When I leave work.

I'm going to send you some just so we can see this beauty finished! I'm going to try for a mini seascape on the Santa Maria - only a few squirts of sealant will be required! Cheers. Mike