1/72 Academy IL-2 Sturmovik

I am just now repairing a model of this very kit (I did mine in winter camouflage). Yours is beautifully done (better than mine), so I almost hesitate to mention it, but Soviet-built aircraft did not feature a brown/green camouflage during the Great Patriotic War. I know this is what Academy have in their instructions, but it is wrong. The correct camouflage for Il-2s from 1941 through at least late 1943 was black/green over blue. From late 1943, new Il-2s were painted in a light tan (with a bit of grey), green, and dark grey (something like an Extra Dark Sea Grey) over blue. Shturmoviks are something of a speciality for me (I seem to recall writing a book about it).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I am just now repairing a model of this very kit (I did mine in winter camouflage). Yours is beautifully done (better than mine), so I almost hesitate to mention it, but Soviet-built aircraft did not feature a brown/green camouflage during the Great Patriotic War. I know this is what Academy have in their instructions, but it is wrong. The correct camouflage for Il-2s from 1941 through at least late 1943 was black/green over blue. From late 1943, new Il-2s were painted in a light tan (with a bit of grey), green, and dark grey (something like an Extra Dark Sea Grey) over blue. Shturmoviks are something of a speciality for me (I seem to recall writing a book about it).

Best Regards,

Jason

Thank you for your comment. As you said I painted as per instruction.

You're welcome! Unfortunately many instructions for Soviet aircraft kits before 2000 (and even later) have that spurious brown/green scheme, when it should be black/green. The Academy kit is a very nice kit with good detail (from an Accurate Miniatures mould that was never kitted), and builds up into a nice model. It is too bad they got the colours wrong, but they aren't the first as this has happened for many different kits of many different aeroplanes from many different air forces and from many different manufacturers.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

A great build. Nicely done with good weathering.

Here's a source of colour information on the Il-2: http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il-2.htm

Chris

Massimo is the man who did the colour profiles for my book, and he is a meticulous researcher so that is the best place to look for information on Il-2 colours (and other Soviet GPW aircraft).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I also have some or all of Viktor Povinsky's works on the Il-2, too.

Chris

Viktor did some very good work on the Il-2. I have his book on the Il-2 published by MMP - an excellent reference work for anyone building Il-2 models.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I have a disc with material on it that I got from him. As I haven't looked at it for a few years I forget exactly what's on it. I also have some more info that came with some decals I bought from him. I really should dig it out and have a look at it.

Chris.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thant said:

Thank you for your comment. As you said I painted as per instruction.

& painted very nicely as per instructions. Any criticism is of the instructions, not your painting which is very skilfully executed. :)

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely superb model!

While I understand the comments about the colour scheme, I must say your build convinces me it could have existed! 👍

The subtle shading, weathering and chipping is top notch.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Very interesting topic to me, as I have the kit in my stash as well.

Yours turned out great, even though the color scheme may be wrong.

Did you forget to peel off the mask from the rear cockpit?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

No I do not forget.

Its just like that.

5 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

This is a single seater. The two-seater with the rear gunner came later.

Chris

• Like 2