Yamato Model for a Youngster

wadeocu

My soon to be 10 year old son has expressed an interest in a model of the Yamato.  He has several airplane and war hammer kits under his belt.  Probably the most complex build he has finished was a 1/72 Hasegawa Heinkel HE-111.

What kit would you recommend for a Yamato build?  I am willing to spring for the basic version of the Tamiya 1/350 kit because I know he will immerse himself and get the value out of the kit but I dont want to overwhelm him.  Maybe 1/700 is a better idea.  I know there are other options in other scales so I am turning it over to you to offer thoughts.  I am an airplane builder so I dont know much about building battleships!

Many thanks - Jack

Hi Jack,

I would suggest you have a look at the "old tool" Tamiya 1/350 kit - 78002. The new one is more accurate and generally very nice but some have criticised its over-engineering and high parts count. By contrast the old tool kit is still in circulation and available for a good price, just that bit simpler to build whilst still looking good. It still has Tamiya's good fit etc. There are just fewer tiny pieces to overwhelm.

What Jamie wrote for the 1/350 - I'd say the older tool Yamato or Musashi would be the way to go. As for 1/700 I've built both the old and new tool Tamiya Yamato and Musashi kits and they're both good. Naturally the new tools are much, much better: Yamato, Musashi. Fujimi have also released pre-coloured, clip together kits as well: Yamato, Musashi which might be as good a way as any to cut his teeth on a ship model! I've ordered from HobbySearch before and I've never has any problems, though that was Japan-UK so I have no idea how Japan-US would fair.

If he wants to be a bit different, he could have a go at modelling the Musashi rather than the Yamato, particularly after the Paul Allen funded expedition that found her wreck in March 2015.

Likewise if he wants to have a good reference book on the pair this book is the most up to date in English: Battleships Yamato and Musashi (Anatomy of The Ship). Pricey, but it'll be well worth it!

Hope that helps,

Mike.:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys!  I was not aware that there were old and new tool kits and the Fujimi 1/700 option is definitely something to consider. That is a remarkable publication Mike; I may just have to add that to my library!  Thanks again - Jack

• Like 2