1/72 Heller Lockheed L.1049G Super Constellation

An impulse purchase on a Belgrade New Years cup modelling contest several years ago, I thought that it will be on the shelf of doom for a long time. I was always attracted to its design it is indeed one of the most elegant airplanes ever. Then, our club had a "Let's Build big planes campaign",  and it was one of my fathers favorite planes so I stepped out of my usual military modelling routine. Although I normally picture Connie in TWA or Air France livery mainly remembering it from the movies Aviator and La Parisienne with Brigitte Bardot (in the latter it was L749 Constellation actually) I was a bit lazy to purchase aftermarket decals and opted for the in-box Lufthansa ones.

Construction of the kit went more or less, without major problems. It is wise to prepare a lot of weight for the nose section, and do not bother to scratch any interior. I put several compartment walls, floor, and demolish my son's toy bus to have at least some seats inside, but absolutely nothing can be seen once everything is glued together. Engines, cowling and MLG are very wrong and simplified so for better results there are resin cowling and engine and etched exterior on the market. A lot of sanding was needed for wing/fuselage joint and windshield to fuselage.

I use gunze and aclad paints and Gunze gloss white gave me real problems because it never wanted to cure completely. It was the first time that I experienced problems with Gunze paints.

Good word of advice if someone does Lufthansa livery is to spray the area around the windows with Revel 350 Lufthansa blue because the sheer size of the decal makes it very difficult to make it sit tight to each corner.

Last photo is with reference object: the Airfix Lancaster.

superconstellation_02.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=

superconstellation_03.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_04.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_06.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_07.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_08.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_09.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_10.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_11.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_12.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_15.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_17.jpg?w=1250&h=

superconstellation_19.jpg?w=868&h=&zoom=

• Like 69
  • Thanks 3

Beautiful work!

Yes, I concur it is one of the most elegant (great word!) aircraft ever to fly.

I can tell how much good work you have done, as I am building a Heller Connie myself (L749 version).

Your excellent build really puts the pressure on - I'll have to be extra patient from here on in.

Well done.

:clap:

Beautiful! That must have been a nightmare to paint. Are the yellow stripes decals or paint?

This must be from back in the day when Lufthansa was still a good airline. Although I'm not sure any of them are good any more: flying on passenger planes has become a miserable chore rather than a joy and adventure.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind comments:

@waylandsmithy Yellow stripes are part of the three very long decals that go from the nose to tail, that was very hard  to align it to the windows. Then, there is yellow stripe that goes together with anti glare area in front of the windshield which is separate decal. The nose radome is painted in Revell Lufthansa blue which is a fine match with blue in decal color.

I am glad you liked it.

A stunning representation of a plane that must have been one of the origins of the adage, 'they don't make them like that any more'. Sleek, sexy lines – boring Airbus and Boeing have a lot to live up to.

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I keep coming back to this, its is a stunning build of a beautiful aircraft. I had a book as a kid, something like my first book of airliners which had a Lufthansa Connie in it, I thought it looked great then, I still do, thanks for reviving the memories. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Great work with the kit, painting and weathering. Very good and artistic pictures!

Gunze gloss white issue - probably this particular white paint interferes with the base coat. Change the base paint and try again in the future?

I had similar problems with AK Xtreme Metal on Tamiya gloss black base on my B-58. I sprayed this over with C-02 Previous silver + made some overshading with Alclad Aluminium and was OK.

Best from Szczecin, PL

Edited by Witman61
Text corrections
  • Thanks 1

One of the most beautiful airliners ever to fly superbly rendered with a terrific paint finish and natural metal look.  I've always liked the type since one visited the UK and I made a short film about it for the BBC.  Must be about 20 years ago now.  Yikes!

• Like 1