Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

stevej60

Another Short's Stirling.

Recommended Posts

Looking great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Looking great!

Thank's Lawzer and by coincidence today I got the second coat of green on this morning.

28280243377_1ac5ea69fd_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Lawzer and by coincidence today I got the second coat of green on this morning.

28280243377_1ac5ea69fd_b.jpg

This is coming together nicely Steve. 

Despite the kit's age, it's still a very impressive looking model. 

One minor point though, you may want to have a look at the starboard fin flash, it should have the red stripe leading. 

I can't wait to see this one finished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cngaero said:

This is coming together nicely Steve. 

Despite the kit's age, it's still a very impressive looking model. 

One minor point though, you may want to have a look at the starboard fin flash, it should have the red stripe leading. 

I can't wait to see this one finished. 

Thank's Chris,I didn't seal the  starboard decal's in as the codes need applying so can rectify it in time,I started to assemble the complex U/C after a fair bit of

cleaning up,also cleaned up the engine intakes filled the sink mark's and painted them.

29288503458_61d4c205a6_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work, Steve. Seeing the painted wings on makes it look a beauty. I'm loving this build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Excellent work, Steve. Seeing the painted wings on makes it look a beauty. I'm loving this build.

Many thank's Ventora,I've finished the U/C assembly last night and today glued the wing's and tail in place so put aside todry,wil lpop a photo

update on tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folk's,everything dried nicely on the wing's etc finished the wheels and U/C,photo's and build's show a mix of black or metal so Iwent with black,

should get these fitted soon then she'll be up on her feet and thought's will turn to that glazing.

43191699421_b4103e688d_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That massive undercart has come up a treat Steve. 

I like the subtle difference between the steel black and rubber black. There are times when these can look overdone (I'm certainly part of that guilty party), but this set looks very nice. Well done. 

 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

congrats for a job superbly done!

The u/c of the Stirling must rank among the most impressive contraptions ever devised on a plane. Yours look all straight and tidy, which is no mean feat.

Super build.

 

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real thing:

 

43148163602_219501fbf7_b.jpg

 

 

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The real thing:

 

43148163602_219501fbf7_b.jpg

 

 

 

Chris

I look at this picture and I have to wonder what the engineers at Shorts were thinking. They should have just insisted on a bigger wingspan. The aircraft would have been able to fly at higher altitudes with the rest of the bomber stream and the main undercarriage would have been shortened and much more durable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

The real thing:

 

43148163602_219501fbf7_b.jpg

 

 

 

Chris

That's some feat of engineering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

The real thing:

 

43148163602_219501fbf7_b.jpg

 

 

 

Chris

Holy cow batman!  That is massive!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brilliant build of a underated heavy bomber.

 

love it.

 

only just found it but i'll get a seat.:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice progress Steve, the build my dad did with me watching. As the kit was moulded in black plastic, it was only the camouflage that was added. No need for any black paint in those days. The more I’m watching the more I’m thinking this would make a nice Christmas project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Steve, the build my dad did with me watching. As the kit was moulded in black plastic, it was only the camouflage that was added. No need for any black paint in those days. The more I’m watching the more I’m thinking this would make a nice Christmas project.

Why not Ozzy,try for this boxing as the mold's were still pretty decent and decal's may be OK.Anyway onthat subject she's up on her feet.

43162514612_164a79ed92_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thats largeish

 

Edited by SA80A2AR
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second that for sure :goodjob: :partytime:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thirded

 

or thirdeded

 

of somthing along them lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, wot they said, I'm really looking forward to the end result, we don't see enough nicely made Stirlings, especially classics like this kit.

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, VMA131Marine said:

I look at this picture and I have to wonder what the engineers at Shorts were thinking. They should have just insisted on a bigger wingspan. The aircraft would have been able to fly at higher altitudes with the rest of the bomber stream and the main undercarriage would have been shortened and much more durable.

I believe the original aircraft Shorts designed did have a bigger wingspan, however the RAF /Air Ministry ordered it to be reduced so the aircraft would fit inside the standard RAF hanger. 

As you rightly point out the flying characteristics suffered accordingly. Always a good idea when the civil service start dictating specifications to the armed forces !

 

Steve, it's a thing of beauty well done mate !

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I believe the original aircraft Shorts designed did have a bigger wingspan, however the RAF /Air Ministry ordered it to be reduced so the aircraft would fit inside the standard RAF hanger. 

Having thought about this more, I would have designed the aircraft with folding wingtips. It works on carrier aircraft so why not this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Having thought about this more, I would have designed the aircraft with folding wingtips. It works on carrier aircraft so why not this? 

One of history's mysteries like why not fit the Westland Whirlwind with Merlin engines ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is the wing span restriction wasn’t down to hangars (the standard RAF hangar was either 112ft or 120ft, depending on who you read), but was the Air Ministry getting worried about the size and weight of the new aircraft.

 

Be that as it may, I’ve realised I’m going to need to add a Stirling to my 1940 collection. No 7 Squadron was flying the type from October 1940, apparently, though proper operations didn’t start until spring 1941. I need more display cabinets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...