Another Short's Stirling.

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

One of history's mysteries like why not fit the Westland Whirlwind with Merlin engines ?

I don't know why but sometime in the last week(ish) when out with the dogs for some unknown reason I though the same thing.  From what I've read it seems to have been a very stable gun platform but let down by something other than the design.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I don't know why but sometime in the last week(ish) when out with the dogs for some unknown reason I though the same thing.  From what I've read it seems to have been a very stable gun platform but let down by something other than the design.

And who would have expected a below par engine from RR!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's,plodding on with this one,just painting and assembling the turret's and today gave the prop's a second coat and painted the front cowl's

a paint,prop's popped on for the photo not yet fixed.

28637270887_c9eeaa0c21_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 10

This is looking great :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about pooping on the props though Steve? (sorry, too much exposure to pre-school grandchildren....).

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CliffB said:

This is looking great :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about pooping on the props though Steve? (sorry, too much exposure to pre-school grandchildren....).

Corrected Cliff,mind there's a few kit's Iwould have liked to poop on!

• Haha 2

That's coming along nicely Steve - the prospect of painting canopy and gun turret framing is something I do not relish.  When it's done neatly it looks brilliant - but I'm not the neatest - so I find it quite stressful.  Looking forward to more progress soon - keep up the good work mate.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That's coming along nicely Steve - the prospect of painting canopy and gun turret framing is something I do not relish.  When it's done neatly it looks brilliant - but I'm not the neatest - so I find it quite stressful.  Looking forward to more progress soon - keep up the good work mate.

Thank's Steve yes the glazing is going to be a challenge on this one no framing to speak of so better crack open the masking tape.

• Like 2

Great looking Stirling Steve. I'm with the other Steve on the canopy frame - wouldn't fancy masking that canopy, I'd probably end up using a pre-cut mask which feels a bit like cheating but I think I'd be able to come to terms with it!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This Stirling is looking excellent, Steve. Looking forward to seeing the turrets on with the peashooter 303's as the crews called them (I believe!). Build on, mate. Cheers, Mike.

45 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

This Stirling is looking excellent, Steve. Looking forward to seeing the turrets on with the peashooter 303's as the crews called them (I believe!). Build on, mate. Cheers, Mike.

Thank's Mike,Ive been working on the turret's and glazing this week I'll update in a day or two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Splendid looking model Steve and beautifully built. My folks bought me one of these along with a Lancaster one Christmas, they even threw in some paint so it was probably one of the first models that I had a go at painting. I don't remember it looking as good as this though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow the end of the GB is coming upfast for some reason I thought it was Qctober! Friday's my day off this week so I'm putting everything

else to one side and push to complete her to be honest there's very little to do.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Wow the end of the GB is coming upfast for some reason I thought it was Qctober! Friday's my day off this week so I'm putting everything

else to one side and push to complete her to be honest there's very little to do.

Good man - Go for it Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Good man - Go for it Steve

Oh just wait till you hear this! I thought I'd get a bit done before work this morning so kit on table drying after gloss coat for the rest of the decal;s.

Now I've been harping on about buying a lamp for extra light for week's which resulted in buying a one on Saturday.it look's great shining down

over  the table  on the shelf where I promptly knocked it off lifting the box to put the Stirling away,yes you guessed it literally destroyed it plastic

shard's all over the place the fuselage got the lampbase bang in the centre it ended up in four pieces needless tosay she wont make it into the gallery.

• Sad 8

NOOOO !!! That’s so sad Steve. I’ve got nightmare images of that tall undercarriage not quite be able to withstand that type of landing! Rotten news all round and feeling your pain from this side of the world. 

Cheers and good luck with the recovery.. Dave 

• Like 3