Another Short's Stirling.

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Looking great!

Thank's Lawzer and by coincidence today I got the second coat of green on this morning.

28280243377_1ac5ea69fd_b.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Lawzer and by coincidence today I got the second coat of green on this morning.

28280243377_1ac5ea69fd_b.jpg

This is coming together nicely Steve. 

Despite the kit's age, it's still a very impressive looking model. 

One minor point though, you may want to have a look at the starboard fin flash, it should have the red stripe leading. 

I can't wait to see this one finished. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cngaero said:

This is coming together nicely Steve. 

Despite the kit's age, it's still a very impressive looking model. 

One minor point though, you may want to have a look at the starboard fin flash, it should have the red stripe leading. 

I can't wait to see this one finished. 

Thank's Chris,I didn't seal the  starboard decal's in as the codes need applying so can rectify it in time,I started to assemble the complex U/C after a fair bit of

cleaning up,also cleaned up the engine intakes filled the sink mark's and painted them.

29288503458_61d4c205a6_b.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Excellent work, Steve. Seeing the painted wings on makes it look a beauty. I'm loving this build.

Many thank's Ventora,I've finished the U/C assembly last night and today glued the wing's and tail in place so put aside todry,wil lpop a photo

update on tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hi folk's,everything dried nicely on the wing's etc finished the wheels and U/C,photo's and build's show a mix of black or metal so Iwent with black,

should get these fitted soon then she'll be up on her feet and thought's will turn to that glazing.

43191699421_b4103e688d_b.jpg

• Like 7

That massive undercart has come up a treat Steve. 

I like the subtle difference between the steel black and rubber black. There are times when these can look overdone (I'm certainly part of that guilty party), but this set looks very nice. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

congrats for a job superbly done!

The u/c of the Stirling must rank among the most impressive contraptions ever devised on a plane. Yours look all straight and tidy, which is no mean feat.

Super build.

JR

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The real thing:

43148163602_219501fbf7_b.jpg

Chris

I look at this picture and I have to wonder what the engineers at Shorts were thinking. They should have just insisted on a bigger wingspan. The aircraft would have been able to fly at higher altitudes with the rest of the bomber stream and the main undercarriage would have been shortened and much more durable.

• Like 2

brilliant build of a underated heavy bomber.

love it.

only just found it but i'll get a seat.:popcorn:

• Like 2

Nice progress Steve, the build my dad did with me watching. As the kit was moulded in black plastic, it was only the camouflage that was added. No need for any black paint in those days. The more I’m watching the more I’m thinking this would make a nice Christmas project.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Steve, the build my dad did with me watching. As the kit was moulded in black plastic, it was only the camouflage that was added. No need for any black paint in those days. The more I’m watching the more I’m thinking this would make a nice Christmas project.

Why not Ozzy,try for this boxing as the mold's were still pretty decent and decal's may be OK.Anyway onthat subject she's up on her feet.

43162514612_164a79ed92_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 11

On 7/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, VMA131Marine said:

I look at this picture and I have to wonder what the engineers at Shorts were thinking. They should have just insisted on a bigger wingspan. The aircraft would have been able to fly at higher altitudes with the rest of the bomber stream and the main undercarriage would have been shortened and much more durable.

I believe the original aircraft Shorts designed did have a bigger wingspan, however the RAF /Air Ministry ordered it to be reduced so the aircraft would fit inside the standard RAF hanger. 

As you rightly point out the flying characteristics suffered accordingly. Always a good idea when the civil service start dictating specifications to the armed forces !

Steve, it's a thing of beauty well done mate !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I believe the original aircraft Shorts designed did have a bigger wingspan, however the RAF /Air Ministry ordered it to be reduced so the aircraft would fit inside the standard RAF hanger. 

Having thought about this more, I would have designed the aircraft with folding wingtips. It works on carrier aircraft so why not this? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Having thought about this more, I would have designed the aircraft with folding wingtips. It works on carrier aircraft so why not this? 

One of history's mysteries like why not fit the Westland Whirlwind with Merlin engines ?

• Like 3

My understanding is the wing span restriction wasn’t down to hangars (the standard RAF hangar was either 112ft or 120ft, depending on who you read), but was the Air Ministry getting worried about the size and weight of the new aircraft.

Be that as it may, I’ve realised I’m going to need to add a Stirling to my 1940 collection. No 7 Squadron was flying the type from October 1940, apparently, though proper operations didn’t start until spring 1941. I need more display cabinets!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1