Another Short's Stirling.

You turn your back for a moment and look what happens...

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:46, stevej60 said:

28795759278_3e966575d9_b.jpg

...nearly ready for decaling...  :lol:

Great progress Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi folk'sjust a quick update,I masked the fuselage and sprayed NATO black then added the window's once dry I used precision poly and ran it round

their interiors so hopefully I won't loose any!wing's all cleaned up and engine's added,next session I hope to get the fuselage buttoned up.

42095434604_0062bfedb2_b.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

With the speed everyone else is building I better get my behind into gear!!!

Looking good!!

Ditto!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I won't scare youwith a photo at this point the fuselage is together and it was a bl***y nightmare to fit I've now covered the top half with enough

filler to sink a ship so better dig out the wet'n dry.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lawzer said:

With the speed everyone else is building I better get my behind into gear!!!

Looking good!!

21 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Ditto!

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Double ditto - from someone who's still building kits from a few GB's ago?

Cheers.. Dave

C'mon guys - time to splash the glue and paint - but steady as she goes - don't rush - there is still another 14 weeks to go.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

C'mon guys - time to splash the glue and paint - but steady as she goes - don't rush - there is still another 14 weeks to go.

That's good news Steve the filler might be dry by then!

• Haha 3

Good Lord will the sanding ever cease? Well yes finally what a pain to sort out but should be fine under paint,as expected windows fell in luckily

the three joined cockpit ones which are an easy fix!

42850660811_8a8ee0e998_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Good Lord will the sanding ever cease? Well yes finally what a pain to sort out but should be fine under paint,as expected windows fell in luckily

the three joined cockpit ones which are an easy fix!

42850660811_8a8ee0e998_b.jpg

More good progress Steve,

I must remember those points when I get to this stage.

Are you using clearfix for the Windows? I don't have much luck with that stuff. Doesn't seem to be strong enough most of the time. 

Cheers Greg 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Are you using clearfix for the Windows? I don't have much luck with that stuff. Doesn't seem to be strong enough most of the time. 

Using the kit window's Gregg,watch the step between the fuselage sides where all the filler can be seen try a dry run you might have a better kit

with luck,

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

It is a big old bird to have to sand down Steve, but you're making excellent progress with it, nice work.

Thank's Mark,it's just as easy to sand off the rivet detail on the fuselage top and bottom the join is too poor to be left as is,it's a fifty year old kit

so that's the spirit I'm aproaching the build with.

• Like 3

looks like this is going to be some size of beast! 

I hope the detail in the cockpit will still be seen though the canopy....! 👍

• Like 1

Morning folk's,I thought it easier to spray the whole fuselage NATO black now I'm happy with the filling and sanding it doesn't look too

bad once the paint's on,I'll mask it for the earth and green then once painted add the pre painted wing's which is tonight'sjob.

42826287632_3a216a8321_b.jpg

• Like 9

Weekend was patchy modelling wise but moved on the Stirling,I should have left the masking on till after brush painting the green but

if it had bled and messed up I would have flown her out of the loft window so needed to look,all's well though wing's are painted black so

hopefully will get the earth on soon.

29023725368_6831eb990e_b.jpg

• Like 13

This is really looking lovely Steve. I might just resurrect my stalled project from 20 odd years ago?

Cheers and looking forward to the next installments... Dave

• Like 3

Really nice looking job Steve - I think you made an excellent decision to go 100% NATO black first - the dark earth overcoat hasn't suffered it looks spot on  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thank's folk's,glossed the fuselage after adding the green and tried out the decal's,Ihad a few hairy moments cutting out the excess carrier

film but look's OK.

29044871908_2f23c4e257_b.jpg

• Like 13

Looks more than OK Steve - it looks fantastic. I'll be honest though - I'm a little worried about doing all this fine painting an then having to resort to some heavy handed sanding should the wings leave a large gap when inserted. I hope it all fits like a Pygmy's glove! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's folk's,glossed the fuselage after adding the green and tried out the decal's,Ihad a few hairy moments cutting out the excess carrier

film but look's OK.

29044871908_2f23c4e257_b.jpg

Nice work steve!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks more than OK Steve - it looks fantastic. I'll be honest though - I'm a little worried about doing all this fine painting an then having to resort to some heavy handed sanding should the wings leave a large gap when inserted. I hope it all fits like a Pygmy's glove! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank's Dave,shouldn't be an issue,I never use putty other than where I need to re-contour areas like the fuselage top,I use flexi filler or builder's caulk

from a tube it fills any gaps and with a bit of water on a cloth the excess rubs of and after ten minute's it's ready to paint great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning folk's,bit more progress all underside's painted and upper wing's have earth coat applied,so far so good!

43086222711_4d1f49f796_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 11

Very nice!

I built one many years ago as a kid and it, along with its tractor and bomb trolleys, had pride of place in my bedside cabinet for many years!

Tempting to do another, I do love bringing these old Airfix kits up to scratch. Unfortunately the Battle build is still on hold due to my relocation.

Ian

• Like 2