Stirling W7442 "-B" of 1651 Conversion Unit (ex MG-M of 7 Squadron) - improving the 1/72 Italeri kit

lovely job there Elger

Can't wait to see the finished article. I missed your earlier post showing the CWG with 3 of the crew interred. Easy to forget that behind each of these models there lies a very personal story

John

Went a little crazy with the weathering - maybe a tad much but I quite like it. AK streaking grime and weathering pigments. All sealed with Vallejo clear flat. I'm going to try to behave for a change and let it dry thoroughly before removing the masking tape and moving on to final assembly.

UAScEX5.jpg

- Elger

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The engine's central gear casing should be painted a semi-gloss black.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up but I'm aware - they're not done yet. In fact, I've painted the engines I'll be fitting to the aircraft separately and these that are fitted now are from the second kit and just there to hold the cowls in place and I will be swapping them soon.

27 minutes ago, elger said:

Thanks for the heads up but I'm aware - they're not done yet. In fact, I've painted the engines I'll be fitting to the aircraft separately and these that are fitted now are from the second kit and just there to hold the cowls in place and I will be swapping them soon.

Ah! Very good, Sir. Carry on.

Chris

1 hour ago, Josip said:

I'm really glad that my advice gave such a nice result.

Josip

Thank you! It's been a lot of work and it's not perfect (due to some mistakes, and pushing the tape a bit too far going around curves here and there), but overall I do think that using the technique seriously improves this kit. Thanks for sharing it, and your advice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello

This is message for Elger

Recently whilst doing some additional research on my father I have 'stumbled' across your string of discussions regarding Short Stirling Mk No W7442. He was one of the crew killed when this aircraft was shot down over the Waddenzee in June 1942. I have visited the Cemetery at Harlingen in 2005 when, with the family, we took my Mother's ashes to be buried, near to the 3 identified members of the crew.

I was greatly interested in the photo of the window hatch that a fisherman had recovered and wondered whether it still existed.

If you have any additional information I would be grateful to hear.

Best wishes, Michael  W7442

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W7442 said:

Hello

Recently whilst doing some additional research on my father I have 'stumbled' across your string of discussions regarding Short Stirling Mk No W7442. He was one of the crew killed when this aircraft was shot down over the Waddenzee in June 1942. I have visited the Cemetery at Harlingen in 2005 when, with the family, we took my Mother's ashes to be buried, near to the 3 identified members of the crew.

I was greatly interested in the photo of the window hatch that a fisherman had recovered and wondered whether it still existed.

Hi Michael

Just saw your message. Whilst we haven't got any parts from that actual aircraft, we do have a large number of original Stirling items which we're incorporating into our cockpit project. Whereabouts in the UK are you? You're more than welcome to visit us

John

16 minutes ago, W7442 said:

Hello

sent you a private message!