Sopwith Pup +++FINISHED+++

A simple biplane from 1973

resized_f7b271f6-cf7e-49d8-bdc1-8106f5f4

Sprue shot, only 26 parts and OK on first look, commendable lack of flash. Airfix had a period of moulding WW1 kits in buff plastic

resized_39dd95a2-6358-4632-b6db-27e13793

A couple of very similar options. I'll be doing the RNAS version. 

resized_761b5b38-d131-446d-8a0d-211b1c3a

resized_7510f59d-5538-4cbb-a0f7-7d6dd072

Edited by 825
  • Like 11

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:58, 825 said:

A simple biplane from 1973

resized_f7b271f6-cf7e-49d8-bdc1-8106f5f4

Sprue shot, only 26 parts and OK on first look, commendable lack of flash. Airfix had a period of moulding WW1 kits in buff plastic

resized_39dd95a2-6358-4632-b6db-27e13793

A couple of very similar options. I'll be doing the RNAS version. 

resized_761b5b38-d131-446d-8a0d-211b1c3a

resized_7510f59d-5538-4cbb-a0f7-7d6dd072

Any progress on this lovely Pup???

• Like 1

Just started to put some paint on but will need a good rinse as seems to be covered in mould release. First job tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

A good wash and rinse of the plastic then some paint on. The first coats aren't going on too well, I wonder if there is still some mould release. I'll persevere for the moment and see what happens with a second coat. 

resized_bb475494-5f8b-43dd-aee0-9ca51677

I wonder if Humbrol's Brick Red is a little too dark. I'll lift it with some dry brushing of something lighter. The detail is good with frame and wire bracing. Mind you the detail goes all the way to the rear, and the cockpit opening is small. 

resized_b21f87df-1418-4765-bd9d-97abde50

• Like 5

825, I think the streaky quality of the first coat is something that just happens brush painting the Humbrol paints - it is happening with every kit I am doing at the moment. Massive amounts of stirring seems to help a bit but I just accept now that one coat is never enough. So it's not you... looks like a cracking little kit - happy building!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

825, I think the streaky quality of the first coat is something that just happens brush painting the Humbrol paints - it is happening with every kit I am doing at the moment. Massive amounts of stirring seems to help a bit but I just accept now that one coat is never enough. So it's not you... looks like a cracking little kit - happy building!

I think it's the plastic. The same thing is happening with Revell Aquacolour and Citadel. A second coat does help but probablyat least three will be needed. 

• Like 2

Some paint on and the interior dry brushed to lift the detail. There were some ejection marks which I've filled and sanded off. Overall the moulding is quite good and dry fitting suggests that it should go together OK. Mind you that doesn't always last when you apply the cement. 

resized_01ad61f4-c793-4e94-b65c-fb7bb380

Pilot is quite quite a nice moulding and he appears to be holding a control column. The engine is a bit basic. Hopefully dry brushing with some Gunmetal and/or aluminium may help. I'm going to include the pilot to hide the fact there's nothing in the cockpit apart from a rudimentary seat and IP. 

resized_58922f5b-9b0c-40b4-974f-ecf45f25

• Like 7

Looking good 825.

I actually recieved one of these in the post the other day having never built a bi-plane (or should that read rigged a bi-plane) before in my life!

I'm tempted to start mine, however will leave it in the blister pack for a little while longer to hopefully supress the urge.

From what I can see, I'm not sure if I'm fond of the fabric effect finish on some parts, so may attempt to tone these down a little without going too far and spoiling it altogether.

It sure is a tiny little kit, so will look forward to seeing your's take shape over the next few weeks.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Nice progress

Mine has stalled a bit due to work issues but should hopefully be able to get back to it soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

A bit more work done. Interior all finished. Well seat, pilot and IP. 

resized_2c975f49-7f6f-4040-8bc8-7572770e

Here's a view of the IP. Simple, but quite small and not much can be seen. The pilot's helmet needs touching up. 

resized_c074c9ec-8e63-4ad5-9442-474825dc

Fuselage closed up. Went together fine, and probably won't need much in the way of filling or sanding. It is quite tiny. The scalpel alongside shows the size. It truly is a Pup! 

resized_8dc01b58-3b75-4336-bfaf-82964d1b

• Like 7

Fuselage join sanded down, it was really quick and I spent more time polishing. No filler needed. The lower wing is also on and a new coat of green has been applied, Revell Aquacolour Olive grin which makes a good PC10 equivalent. It only seems to need two coats but obviously a second coat is needed over the sanded areas. The good Lieutenant has had his helmet restored with a dab of paint. 

resized_8e8f4e49-2257-4569-8d7a-d3de69fa

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Upper wing on, as well as tailplane and fin/rudder. Took a little time to align and still feels a little fragile. 

resized_0007c1ad-8c19-481d-8cb0-95a4389e

resized_34a7aab3-6742-4d01-a12f-7f9398b6

• Like 5

Now with undercarriage fitted and engine in place, and cowling on. Just the wheels to finish painting and pop on, along with fashioning a tail skid from wire. I broke the plastic one off and knocked it off on multiple occasions before losing it to the carpet monster. I've already drilled a hole to slot it into. 

resized_4704f5fd-01cc-4b5a-b2ac-e28f1609

Before that the transfers. And despite looking nice, and I've bleached the white back from a discoloured yellow by leaving them on a sunny windowsill for week or so, I've encountered a problem I've never seen before. They won't slide off the backing paper, despite lengthy soaking. I've managed to put one on and it took 15 minutes. The roundel eventually had to be peeled off the backing paper. Then when it got on the wing it slid all over the place on the slightest touch. I've got it where I want and flooded it with Micro Sol and walked away, preferring not to touch it again until tomorrow. 

resized_dc78fd2b-058d-421f-8762-9f046f58

• Like 6

Nice looking little kit. I love the IP and seat, nice detail for a WWI biplane, not often included in other kits. 

Hope the decals go on okay. I guess this will be an issue for a lot of the older kits in the GB.

Coming along nicely.

• Like 2

The transfer seems to have bedded down OK so I have applied another. The process is, believe it or not, soak in water (temperature is immaterial) for about 5 minutes. Then carefully peel the transfer off using a brush and finger nail, pop onto a finger coloured side down and gently brush any remaining paper off the back. Wet where it's to go with water and gently apply. Move carefully with a brush to where it's to go, adjusting as necessary. Firm it down with a cotton bud, and move it back to where it should go from time to time. When satisfied flood it with Micro Sol and leav eit alone. Takes about 20 minutes per transfer and I've no idea how I'm going to manage the ones on the front fuselage under the upper wing. But hey ho if we can't overcome life's little problems successfully then what's the point?

resized_d6f53cc0-a069-49f8-8a7d-b70e0de7

Bottom (in the picture) roundel been left overnight. Top just added. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Transfers on. 

resized_7ee2b225-6053-4665-ab4b-e0bac605

Not too bad apart from the upper wing roundels, where the problem wasn't getting them off the backing sheet per se. But the control horns really got in the way despite copious amounts of softening solution. Probably have got away with one, but the other is a disaster. 

resized_56b6faf4-10ae-4faa-90aa-838f3c15

resized_d1e59c23-ddf6-42db-9883-c1b73c8f

There here are a couple of fuselage roundels left on the sheet so I might be able to patch. Alternatively, I do have some WW1 roundels in the transfer stash but I'll have to replace both to ensure a colour match. 

• Sad 3

I had a look in the stash for a kit with suitable replacement roundels as I don't have any generic WW1 transfer sheets. I found something suitable in a resin Blackburn Blackburd box. There are a couple of extra roundels of suitable size. And when lifting out of the box I discovered that there were two sheets, so an absolute bonus. Also can be seen the prop which was painted using Procopius's technique.

resized_a83b4394-1be0-4e74-8a33-b8cf66da

I'll get the roundels removed, trim off the control horns and replace the roundels with a couple from here. 

• Like 3

New roundels applied and a little tidying up of the paint. 

resized_ab8220e9-456f-46ac-894d-357aa837

Once fully dry, I'll put the upper wing back on. 

• Like 6

Top wing back on, prop on and wheels affixed. And painted. 

resized_117c4a3e-b8e5-4eae-bee1-9c9c5c5e

Rreplacement tail skid to be fabricated from a bit of wire and we're done. 

• Like 5