Avro Anson Mk1 +++ FINISHED +++

Fuselage closed up. 

resized_2d26319b-0ad5-45fb-b76c-d117306c

And the windows windows on the starboard side have fallen out. The same cement was used for the other side and its firm. 

resized_c6c2cd63-084e-41c5-986b-c03e4780

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Main undercarriage ready for insertion. Airfix have designed it to be retractable but I'll fix it in position. They went together easily but the main legs needed a bit of sanding down as the seam was really prominent. 

resized_27d9b68c-da6f-4680-9ccd-0b8edc4b

Some matt varnish on the tyres needed first though.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wings assembled. 

resized_c0f702be-e001-4d4c-932e-53699bcd

And on. The fit, on both the wing joints and to the fuselage is excellent. The former needs nothing and a couple of swipes with sandpaper for the latter is all that is needed. 

resized_b1c4c57b-13f9-4d57-a564-a21addb6

• Like 9

Another great choice of oldie. I remember building one of these in 1980 for the 40th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It's still in my cabinet 38 years later. 

Thanks for sharing 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tailplane and engines on. The wing and tailplane joints were really good but the engines needed a bit of trimming to get to fit. 

resized_7c79450b-2e3f-49cd-89a9-35c7218d

Ive also painted the frames on the side windows. I'm dithering between masking and fitting the main canopy now or after painting. However, as the transparency fit has been a little challenging it might be better to do it first rather than have to go back and tidy up the paint job, if the fit is poor. 

resized_5bd0df27-3249-4370-a37a-f7feacc6

I had to use a fair amount of Krystal Kleer as filler on the other side. 

• Like 6

Got some more paint on, hasn't made much difference so no photos yet. However, I've hit another snag with the he transparencies. The cockpit canopy fits the gap so that's good but it's devoid of any identifiable framing, as well as having a moulding flaw. The flaw is accessible and I could sand and polish it down but the framing has me stumped as both the box illustration and instructions vary, and most pictures on the internet vary again. I think suitable transfer sheets are the way forward as I doubt without the frame as a datum I wouldn't be able to mask it with my usual method of small squares and rectangles of Tamiya tape. 

resized_a5d568ca-695b-446a-91aa-05b365b7

The flaw is in the middle of the canopy, inside. The 'hole'at the back is for the aerial and it is part of the framing. Any ideas?

Edited by 825
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away. Underside painted Aluminium with Revell Aquacolour which revealed the seam down the middle wasn't quite away. So a layer of Liquid Green Stuff applied and left to dry. 

resized_7b4a5574-2440-4eb0-80b0-181078db

I still still haven't found a solution for the canopy. Tried Fantasy Printshop as they do a range of coloured decal strips but no Dark Green or Dark Earth. May be resigned to prepare my own from clear decal sheet. 

• Like 3

Seam looks considerably better. 

resized_5d7c1c51-5ee6-42b2-b98c-35cf3185

For the canopy im in the process of preparing strips on clear transfer sheet. So far got the interior green on as a back. It's so warm it was effectively drying as it was applied. 

• Like 10

On 22/07/2018 at 18:50, 825 said:

my usual method of small squares and rectangles of Tamiya tape

When I have a canopy with no framing I start off by cutting some thin strips of tape and laying out where the frames should be. I can fiddle with this until it looks right. THEN I mask in between my frames with squares and rectangles (and many other shapes of) masking tape. Finally, take off the original tape frame and you have a canopy masked up and ready to go!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

When I have a canopy with no framing I start off by cutting some thin strips of tape and laying out where the frames should be. I can fiddle with this until it looks right. THEN I mask in between my frames with squares and rectangles (and many other shapes of) masking tape. Finally, take off the original tape frame and you have a canopy masked up and ready to go!

Regards,

Adrian

Good idea! 👍

The canopy i have for the typhoon is devoid of ANY clue as to where paint should be.  I will give this a go but alas it's so horrible i might have to fork out the whole 4 pounds to airfix for a canopy for the new tool (me, tight, with money?  Never.....) 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, that's a good idea. And one I hadn't thought of. I've popped the canopy on and I'll let it firm up before I attack the canopy. 

• Like 3

Several coats of Xtracrylix brushed on late

resized_6afe2a01-62e0-4410-85fe-0cb39c28

resized_1c65f760-3f86-487e-9765-ad8f3f6d

And a fruitful hour or so applying the transfers.

resized_14d7d946-9715-4215-8c40-b1879253

A few bits and pieces to go, most of which are already painted, a couple of coats of matt varnish and the canopy to finish and that will be that.

• Like 10

On 8/9/2018 at 9:43 AM, Lawzer said:

Nearly at the finish line!  Great job!! 👍

Thanks. The last bit always seems to take the time. Here we are with the frames painted and the canopy unmasked. The framing is not my best attempt, partly because of the size and complexity of the windows but the fact it took a fair number of attempts to get a decent join to the fuselage. 

resized_abdcd20b-77da-42d4-b414-96b98555

I've scraped and trimmed things on the other side and tried to brighten up the windows with Kleer. There's a small bit of touching up to do. The turret is built and will be popped in. 

I've painted some clear transfer sheet and will cut it into strips to frame up the turret and canopy. A bit pernickety but probably will give the best result. I did consider Adrian's technique but in the end felt my cutting and trimming skills were probably not quite up to it. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely getting the glazing done. It's time consuming as each piece has to be cut carefully, then put in place and allowed to dry. A bit of Kleer is then applied to the side of the transfer to pull it down and left again to dry. Without the Kleer the transfers simply lift when wetted. 

resized_e85b0c02-174f-468b-8daf-c5be3c39

• Like 6

Just in case anyone thinks this has stalled, it's just the glazing is taking time. The canopy is done

resized_3556f080-3d2f-4d15-b510-6ef94291

and the turret is ongoing

resized_5d57b4e5-f353-4e1f-bbce-1d5113d2

Its slowly but surely getting there.

• Like 12

Frames finally done and a few more bits on. A little bit of painting to do, and the nose glazing affixed and we're there. 

resized_1939cfd4-0712-4a73-ada6-04c0a945

The turret glazing. Not a 100% but from normal viewing distance looks OK. I've just spotted the stray masking tape on the rearmost window. I'll need to remove that. 

resized_043e097f-144f-485c-baec-79283daa

• Like 9

All the little bits added. Final piece is the nose transparency underneath. There's no ridge or fitting so after carefully removing it from the sprue, gently sanding the does to fit, I kept thinking be really careful on checking the fit and make sure it doesn't fall inside. And what happened ... it fell in. And wouldn't come out. No amount of shaking and persuasion would work. Not lost to the carpet monster but the Anson monster. Luckily I was able to get Krystal Kleer to close over the space.

resized_fb21f4ca-81e2-4545-acd2-e5565c2d

it will dry clear. 

Finished now

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, 825 said:

All the little bits added. Final piece is the nose transparency underneath. There's no ridge or fitting so after carefully removing it from the sprue, gently sanding the does to fit, I kept thinking be really careful on checking the fit and make sure it doesn't fall inside. And what happened ... it fell in. And wouldn't come out. No amount of shaking and persuasion would work. Not lost to the carpet monster but the Anson monster. Luckily I was able to get Krystal Kleer to close over the space.

resized_fb21f4ca-81e2-4545-acd2-e5565c2d

it will dry clear. 

Finished now

Great save 825 :goodjob:

• Like 2

Just now, MarkSH said:

Great build of a lovely subject.

Thanks, apart from the transparencies it was a fun build. 

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Great save 825 :goodjob:

Thanks, and thanks for the encouragement throughout the build. 

• Like 3