Harvard Pussy Cat

A small update as bench time has been limited, the Aeroclub vac canopy has been fitted, masked and the fairing in process started

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Also these turned up from Canada the correct pattern Silver Maple Leaf markings just need to source the correct style lettering and numbers

IMG_0146.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look

Roger

Edited by Hamden
spelling
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After a long gap I've had chance to do some more to Pussy Cat. Canopy has been fared in and a guide coat of yellow put on, this will be cut back removing most of it before a final undercoat of white or light grey is applied to allow for the top coat colour to be applied. So not much to show but here are the pictures.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Thanks for stopping by it's very much appreciated

Roger

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

It's been along while since I looked at this one.

Since returning from a holiday in Canada last week I managed a little bench time and have now managed to turn this one yellow, like Bill  @perdu I hate painting yellow but first indications don't look to bad

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Not a lot to show but it is a small step forward

As always thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 5

Thanks for ALL your comments and likes it's very much appreciated. 

Just had to take the masking off the canopy and tail its been on there so long, some clean up needed but overall I'm happy with the out come

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Thanks for dropping in

Roger

• Like 4

I'm sorry to say I've not visited this thread since the first post or so...at least that means lots of great work to catch up on and enjoy!

Perhaps the Aeroclub vac is missing them, but I can't help but notice your lovely masking job has missed a few frames on the canopy:

On 6/3/2018 at 11:45 PM, Hamden said:

IMG_0043.jpg

Hopefully it's not too late to add them?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

...missed a few frames on the canopy

Might be right for this variant Zak?

When I did my 'Wacky Wabbit' I discovered that they're replaced the Harvard 4 canopy with one from a 'II' and I think the main difference is the number of frames. Here's a 4 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum:

artifact-north-american-harvard-4.jpg

HTH.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Might be able to help with the numbers /letters. Let me know what  you need.

Thanks for your very kind offer Paul

I am looking for 2xE, 2xR, 4x9, 2x2                                6.25mm high in black for fuselage sides

1xR, 1XC, 1xA, 1xF, 2x9, 1x2                 8.50mm high in black for under wing

If you can help that would be great please  pm me with costs etc.

Many thanks 

Roger

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Perhaps the Aeroclub vac is missing them, but I can't help but notice your lovely masking job has missed a few frames on the canopy:

Yes your right Zac, just checked against another  pic: with canopy closed and there is 3 extra frames not on the Aeroclub canopy. Think I can still correct the canopy though, I'll try and add the extra frames before I go further.

Thanks for pointing that out as I completely missed that.

Roger

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hamden said:

Yes your right Zac, just checked against another  pic: with canopy closed and there is 3 extra frames not on the Aeroclub canopy. Think I can still correct the canopy though, I'll try and add the extra frames before I go further.

Thanks for pointing that out as I completely missed that.

Roger

For those missing frames you could get yellow stripe decals and apply them cut to right lengths. Its what I do. Maybe black stripes first overlayed with the yellow.

Will have a look for the numerals tonight and let you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2018 at 7:52 PM, CedB said:

Might be right for this variant Zak?

When I did my 'Wacky Wabbit' I discovered that they're replaced the Harvard 4 canopy with one from a 'II' and I think the main difference is the number of frames. Here's a 4 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum:

artifact-north-american-harvard-4.jpg

HTH.

I had no idea! I'm so used to the straight Harvard version with frames everywhere, and the American ones with half as many. You learn something new every day!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not done much on this one lately. First off many thanks to Paul J for the decals which arrived safely.

I have corrected the canopy framing, added the cowling and painted the fin flash. The landing light lenses have also been added after using a drill to make indents to represent the light reflector which was coloured with a Molotow pen. Here are a couple of pictures to show minimal progress.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

More on this soon (I hope!) Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 3

Nearing the final stages now most of the decals are on, I just need to make/print the Pussy Cat name for the cowling, add the under carriage, pitot, aerial  and propeller.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

The under wing decals have been added since the pics: were taken. Again thanks to @Paul J for the decals.

Thanks for looking in

Roger

• Like 6

Hi Ced

The best picture I have is below unfortunately not completely at right angles. The name is unfortunately in white, I agree silver might have been an easier option.

IMG_0043.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look

Roger

Hmmm, I can see why you're having problems Roger... in my experience white decals can only be produced on white decal paper without expensive printers. 

If it were me I'd outline the lettering (as shown in the photo) on white paper, try to match the yellow as a border around the letters, apply the decal and then 'dot paint' to try to blend it in.

Not an easy job...

That was the approach I have been trying but I cant get a print finish that's usable. I'm not that versed in computing which does not help either.

@CedB thanks for taking the time to look and give advise I really appreciate it.

Roger