Harvard Pussy Cat

1 minute ago, perdu said:

So, I'm assuming climbing to the right on both sides huh?

You know you can grab that in gimp or inkscape and reverse the visible distortion don't you?

Then print to size in MS Word as a reduceable image file

The image is not handed ie starboard side as above photo port side leans from front to back as per second photo

Roger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perdu said:

No promises Rog, acos I have a lot to do meself but if I can get an hour spare I'll 'gimp' it for effect

Thanks Bill only if you have time. I'm not very computer literate and just bumble about trying to do things others find easy!

Appreciate your interest and taking time to look

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

You know you can grab that in gimp or inkscape and reverse the visible distortion don't you?

Ooh Bill I didn't know you could do that... if you do get some time could you show us how to do it please?

Pretty please?

What a very kind man you are :) 

• Like 1

Ced it is a simple matter of distorting the perspective using the 'grab handles' that you got round the side of an image when you draw that weird looking box round it in (possibly) edit

I didnt have to do much of that for this but I did pull it up a bit with the top arrow

Roger I didnt get much time to play as you might realise but does this help you?

I took it from the port side nose and redrew the blurred pixels added black to the outlines and refilled with the yellow on the picture

.jpg images always blur, to get fine images you need a fine base image, preferable are vector images because they don't break the image to pixels but magnify exactly what they see

(this is an uninformed opinion based upon nothing but guesswork, but I dont think I'm far off)

Anyway

Miss Pussy Cat

pussy_cat_a_edited-1.jpg

If you want to print off this and make it smaller for the cowling in 1/72 scale just insert it into a M.S.Word document and then adjust the sizes with the previously mentioned 'handles'

Print it on white decal sheet with the best quality printer you can get hold of, laser being immensely better than inkjet but inkjet works

When it dries lightly (very lightly) mist Tamiya varnish over it a few times never letting the varnish get wet enough to harm the printed surfaces

Have fun mate

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, perdu said:

I didnt get much time to play as you might realise but does this help you?

Thank you so much for the help and advice Bill. I too am short on spare time at present but will have a go as soon as I have 5 mins.

The printer I have is a Canon MX530 series ink jet which I was told was very good for photographs so hopefully will be good for this to.

Again many thanks

Roger

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, perdu said:

Ced it is a simple matter of distorting the perspective using the 'grab handles' that you got round the side of an image when you draw that weird looking box round it in (possibly) edit

I didnt have to do much of that for this but I did pull it up a bit with the top arrow

Roger I didnt get much time to play as you might realise but does this help you?

I took it from the port side nose and redrew the blurred pixels added black to the outlines and refilled with the yellow on the picture

.jpg images always blur, to get fine images you need a fine base image, preferable are vector images because they don't break the image to pixels but magnify exactly what they see

(this is an uninformed opinion based upon nothing but guesswork, but I dont think I'm far off)

Anyway

Miss Pussy Cat

pussy_cat_a_edited-1.jpg

If you want to print off this and make it smaller for the cowling in 1/72 scale just insert it into a M.S.Word document and then adjust the sizes with the previously mentioned 'handles'

Print it on white decal sheet with the best quality printer you can get hold of, laser being immensely better than inkjet but inkjet works

When it dries lightly (very lightly) mist Tamiya varnish over it a few times never letting the varnish get wet enough to harm the printed surfaces

Have fun mate

Have had very little time at the bench lately but have managed to print off the above decals but am waiting for the Tamiya varnish to arrive so I can complete this. 

One question Bill (@perdu) if I may do you use gloss or matt varnish and do you thin it.

Many thanks again for your help Bill hope to post finished Pussy Cat soon  

Roger

• Like 1

Roger I always advise using Tamiya Aerosol varnish in lightly misted coats

Allow some time before you use them so just let it mist on lightly and dry and then again a few times with drying time before each misted

I found that letting the varnish sit wetly on the decal allowed the ink coat to dissolve in the 'pool'

Less than ideal :)

As for which 'flavour', depends on whether you need a shiny transfer or a matt one

Gloss for gloss, matt for matty

Have a couple of practice goes to get the hang of it and I usually make a few of each one I plan using then there is a spare if I need it

Three or four decent coats can be applied after the misted coats have settled dryly down, remembering that wet varnish can dissolve inkjet ink

• Thanks 1

Micro Liquid Decal Solution is another product that works well. Two or three light coats brushed over the printing and you should be good to go.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With many thanks to Bill (@perdu)for his help with Pussy Cat name decals and Paul ( @ PaulJ ) for supplying the serials I am calling this one done. 

I was fortunate to fly in this marvellous machine earlier this year and decided to follow @CedB's lead and model the aircraft in which I flew Harvard Pussy Cat of Classic Wings.

Anyway here are photo's of Bill's art work followed by Pussy Cat  

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Hope you like and thanks for stopping by and giving encouragement and advice along the way.

Now Pussy Cat is complete next up will be  Airfix's 1/72 DeHavilland Mosquito FB6 and Trumpeter's 1/35 Challenger 2 Gulf War which I hope you'll drop by and keep me on the straight and narrow!

Before these get started though I have to get some tanks ready for the Bovington Tank museum model show where I'm sharing a table with a friend so if you're there stop by and say hello.

Roger

• Like 3

Looking from the summit of my OCDness all I would have changed would be to leave the rectangle shape of the decal and site it so the lines would then look to the uninitiated (me!) like a single panel on the engine cowling

I do envy both you and Ced, Harvards are such iconic machines

• Like 2